Backup QB... The most under-the-radar, enticing offseason storyline.

whatdrought

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

As the great Tom Moore (longtime Colts OC) used to say when asked why backups didn't get more reps in practice: "If 18 goes down, we're f***** and we don't practice f*****." I

LMAO

That just about sums it up perfectly.

Keep Barkley to hold Joshes jock and his wife to bake cookies ;)

5-25m with 20 guaranteed should get it done ;) 

1 hour ago, Frat-Train said:

(Ryan Fitzpatrick has entered the chat...)

I hope not....the Fitz jinx is real ;)

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I say this every year.  There is no team, nor fan base, in the NFL as hung up on the backup QB position as the Buffalo Bills and their fans.

I've never understood it, I still don't understand it and I never will.

I will explain it in baseball terms....the BU QB is that fireball throwing bull pen pitcher that everyone (but baseball people) think can be a 6 inning starter ;) 

just kidding Gug ;) 

When Fitz was here no one cared about the BU QB because he(the BU) was already starting ;) 

48 minutes ago, Frat-Train said:

Oh no question!  But we can’t underestimate his love for Buffalo and want to win.  This late in his career, who knows...  Maybe he takes what we gave Matt last year.  Doubtful, but hope spring eternal!!!  

I love me some Fitzy.  I cherish some of the comments directed at me One Spawn Time, all for failing to agree that he was the worst QB in the league. 

Every freakin' place he goes, the starter gets hurt.  I can not wish that upon Josh.  No to Fitz.

48 minutes ago, Frat-Train said:

The more likely scenario, I agree.  Would be an upgrade over Cam, which I never thought I’d say.

IK, R? 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

As someone who watched Davis Webb a little at Cal, he is definitely the most talented of the three. I also think that the really stupid tweets from Fromm last year that came out after the draft *might* (emphasis on might) have soured the team a little. Maybe not. I guess I’d bet on Webb — who Daboll REALLY talked up late in the season — as #2 and Barkley as a 3. They can PS Fromm, right?

I don't see Barkley taking a salary cut - some other team in need of a backup who's thrown passes in the NFL will pay it

I might see Beane re-signing Barkley, but only if he thinks he's #2.

Keep in mind Daboll talked Webb up as "Best Teammate Ever", not as "Developmental QB"

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't see Barkley taking a salary cut - some other team in need of a backup who's thrown passes in the NFL will pay it

I might see Beane re-signing Barkley, but only if he thinks he's #2.

Keep in mind Daboll talked Webb up as "Best Teammate Ever", not as "Developmental QB"

No way.  He's the worst backup in the league.  I read it right here..

• Haha (+1) 1

With the cap not going up, I would try to keep the QB room intact

You have Barkley who has played and from quotes is big for team culture/chemistry and then you have 2 development guys in Webb and fromm who if Barkley isn't getting it done if called to action you have 2 guys that you can throw in there

My questions are is this team good enough to win a super bowl without a qb of Josh allen's talent and is the drop in talent from say fitz to Barkley worth 4 to 6 million conservatively? I think no on both accounts

Also think 7 playoff teams de values the back up QB position a bit as well

Just give me a backup QB that can win 4 out of 5 games if the unthinkable happens

because this team right now is so centered around Josh Allen that I shudder to think if we actually had to run the ball to protect a QB that is not close to Josh Allens talent

The OC is back....but they HAVE to get this worked out.....if we want to win a super bowl we need to be able to run the ball when we want to....it is unfathom to me that teams are scheming to take away our passing attack and we cant get 1st downs on the ground

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Just give me a backup QB that can win 4 out of 5 games if the unthinkable happens

Who is that player because I dont see him on the team now... although to be fair I dont see him on many other teams either...

Back to the topic.. Matt Barkley ( and his wife) seem like good peeps but I'm about ready to see who else might be available to step into the role...

I'm hoping Fromm might be the guy, although his development is no doubt been put behind schedule given the past year's disruptions...

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Develop Fromm.  Webb can be in the mix.  And keep Barkley on speed dial.

Agree.  Don't resign Barkley (very slim chance anyone else will).

See how Fromm and Webb start the offseason and if you have to call Barkley back.

Then again with the cap situation maybe Barkley will sign for vet minimum with 150k guaranteed.

If he does bring him to camp.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Georgie said:

Jake Fromm was in a unique situation. Kept on the 53 in case of a Covid emergency. If they had put him on the PS he could have been grabbed by another team. He wasnt on the 53  because of talent ; it was to keep him around

If he had no talent, why would anyone grab him?

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

because this team right now is so centered around Josh Allen that I shudder to think if we actually had to run the ball to protect a QB that is not close to Josh Allens talent

The OC is back....but they HAVE to get this worked out.....if we want to win a super bowl we need to be able to run the ball when we want to....it is unfathom to me that teams are scheming to take away our passing attack and we cant get 1st downs on the ground

The backup QB

Win 4 out of 5 games

Dude, that's a winning % of 80%

In a 16 game season, that's a guy who helps you win 12-13 games

Most of the league's starters don't do that

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

4m to practice and watch film. I know it must be tough not getting to play but the life of a backup QB isn't a bad one really.

He did get to come into the game and immediately get nailed by Nick Bosa

Welcome to Arizona Matt Barkley

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Starting QB:

This can also be referred to as a backup QB that wins 4 out of 5 games. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Doc said:

No way.  He's the worst backup in the league.  I read it right here..

That is why he will be signed.  Just like in politics sometimes the 2nd is there more to give confidence to #1.  Starting QB is one with an inferiority complex and is afraid he is going to be pulled so team has a #2 no one wants to replace him. What is great about that for team if #1 goes out with season ending injury no one expects much for season so team will not be accused as tanking.  

1 hour ago, Doc said:

If he had no talent, why would anyone grab him?

Potential.  

e

t

e

r

m

a

n

• Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I feel the need for a thread of Football Daffy-nitions

This can go first:

Starting QB: backup QB who wins 4 out of 5 games

I’m honored to be the (bad) man to have created the number 1 definition in that thread.