Backup QB... The most under-the-radar, enticing offseason storyline.

whatdrought

20 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

That is why he will be signed.  Just like in politics sometimes the 2nd is there more to give confidence to #1.  Starting QB is one with an inferiority complex and is afraid he is going to be pulled so team has a #2 no one wants to replace him. What is great about that for team if #1 goes out with season ending injury no one expects much for season so team will not be accused as tanking.  

Potential.  

e

t

e

r

m

a

n

Fromm was a 5th round pick and no one saw him play in even pre-season action.  If they didn't think he had talent, they would have cut him and no one would have signed him to their 53-man roster.

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

Fromm was a 5th round pick and no one saw him play in even pre-season action.  If they didn't think he had talent, they would have cut him and no one would have signed him to their 53-man roster.

I was being sarcastic in my argument, sorry you did not notice.

7 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

As someone who watched Davis Webb a little at Cal, he is definitely the most talented of the three. I also think that the really stupid tweets from Fromm last year that came out after the draft *might* (emphasis on might) have soured the team a little. Maybe not. I guess I’d bet on Webb — who Daboll REALLY talked up late in the season — as #2 and Barkley as a 3. They can PS Fromm, right?

Just wondering- did you see any of Fromm’s games at UGA? Also, IMHO any continued mention of his tweets is overblown at this point - that ship has sailed. For a team built on culture, if there was any possibility of the team “souring” on him, he would not have lasted.

I see how Barkley is a great locker room presence but can't we pay him a million as a position coach or something? I know 2 million is not a lot of the cap but I would rather use it on another guy and keep Davis and Fromm since if Josh goes down we are screwed.

7 hours ago, Steptide said:

If there's one qb I never wanna see in a bills uniform again it's Tyrod. He's ok, but the memories of screaming at my TV to throw the ball are to fresh. I'd take Fitz back over Tyrod. Problem with Fitz is he always starts no matter where he lands 

Tyrod doesn't throw picks,   Fitz throws untimely picks. 

For this organization,  Tyrod type backup player would be better.

• Vomit 2

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I feel the need for a thread of Football Daffy-nitions

This can go first:

Starting QB: backup QB who wins 4 out of 5 games

I am not looking at it as a 16 game season break down percentage thing.

A backup QB is that guy who can win you some games before teams start to game plan for them and then their QB production plumments.....

but......to make this a little easier....how about a QB that wont LOSE you 4 out of 5 games....if you can run the damn ball and play good defense you can do this.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Just wondering- did you see any of Fromm’s games at UGA? Also, IMHO any continued mention of his tweets is overblown at this point - that ship has sailed. For a team built on culture, if there was any possibility of the team “souring” on him, he would not have lasted.

I did see a few of his games. He didn’t really impress me as a thrower.

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting post.

Please to note that Matt Barkley is an UDFA.  After the 2018 season, he signed a 2 year, $4M contract. 

So in terms of him being the favorite because "it's his job now", not so fast....he has to decide what kind of money he thinks he wants and whether he has interest from anyone besides the Bills, then the Bills have to consider how much they are willing to give him.  I don't know the answer to either of those questions, but he doesn't quite seem like a "sho-in" to me.  I could see him being a cap casualty, so to speak, especially if he gets another offer.

I feel that Jake Fromm "took one for the team" in a big way this season, and as a reward he deserves a fair chance to win or lose the backup job.

When we hear about Davis Webb, we always hear about how great he was organizing and running the off season workouts, calling the receivers in the off-season and making sure they were all up in the playbook (he can do that because he's a player, not a coach), playing multiple roles on the Scout team (Scout team Safety!!!).   We don't hear about how he's slinging it as a QB.

McDermott did make a point of emphasis that Webb is a "developmental QB" in the league.  Accuracy seemed to be the knock on him, but we've seen that can be improved. 

Webb was drafted 87th overall in 2017.  Each time he lost his roster spot (Giants after 2017,  Jets after 2018), it was accompanied by a HC/OC change.  Those guys usually want to bring in their own developmental talent.  In 2018, the Giants drafted Kyle Lauletta and kicked Webb to the curb.  In 2019, Gase brought in David Fales, who I believe played under Gase in Chicago and in Miami.  So it probably had less to do with Webb's objective talent and potential vs. these guys, and more to do with the new regime wanting "their guy" in there.

I had kind of thought Webb would be in line to be a coaching assistant, but it's an advantage for the Bills to keep him as a player if we're going to have another covid-curtailed off-season. 

Hap - spot on take.  I think the Bills would like Barkley back, but I am not sure they want to pay him any more than they did these last 2 years and may think there is small savings to be had.

I think the Bills have their 3 guys under contract and will be looking to add a camp body at this point.  If that extra body is Barkley - great for him, but it would not shock me to see someone else fill that role.  

11 hours ago, ganesh said:

Tyrod doesn't throw picks,   Fitz throws untimely picks. 

For this organization,  Tyrod type backup player would be better.

Tyrod doesn’t throw picks because he won’t throw the ball.  He would be literally one of the worst QBs to put into a pass first/limited run offense.

If Tyrod wants to be a back-up - he should go to Baltimore where the QB runs more than passes - that is where he fits.  Not on a pass first - high volume passing attack.  It would look like the Jacksonville playoff game all over again.

🤦‍♂️

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Really.  It sounds as though the Bills ought to hire her as Player Outreach for Families or something like that.  I think they might be a package deal though.

Maybe the culture needs to change:  a little less love and process and more business.  After a year of love and dancing and fun, they kind of laid an egg in their biggest game--literally got slapped around.  

5 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Its amazing to me that the Bills would draft a QB that never made the field and some people would rather move on.

A new Message board low....😁

Drafting Fromm was a waste--Josh/Bills needed more weapons....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1