Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

8 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

If I were the Texans, I’d take less from an NFC team than an AFC.  Not significantly less but still less.  I’d take bridgewater and three 1sts and a 2nd over the Jets four #1’s and Darnold.  

There are other things besides draft picks.  As I mentioned in another thread, the Panthers could trade the 8th overall, McCaffrey and a 1st next year, maybe more.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

There are other things besides draft picks.  As I mentioned in another thread, the Panthers could trade the 8th overall, McCaffrey and a 1st next year, maybe more.

Yes, but I can understand why Houston would rather a 1st round pick than a RB making $8m per year when they are in rebuild mode.  

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Yes, but I can understand why Houston would rather a 1st round pick than a RB making $8m per year when they are in rebuild mode.  

CMc is more than just a RB and picks aren't sure things.  It will be even more of a crap shoot this year given the lack of college games last year.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, mannc said:

I just don’t see any NFC team that has enough trade bait to make it happen, unless the Niners are going to trade a couple ones, plus Bosa.

The only team that could try to do it the NFC would be the Lions.

They have the #7 this year and 2 1st's next year and if they ate Goff's 2022 Roster Bonus of $15,5M it would essentially

mean Goff only has a quarantined contract of $27M in 2021 with no Dead Cap after that.

So they would have plenty of options to make a Watson trade work.

A bit of a long shot but the more I think about it it's not that crazy.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

CMc is more than just a RB and picks aren't sure things.  It will be even more of a crap shoot this year given the lack of college games last year.

And CMC would provide Texan fans with a superstar in exchange for a superstar. It would be a clear sign they aren't tanking.

IMO IF the Texans have to trade Watson their best deal is shipping him off to the NFC for CMC and 2 Panther 1st round picks.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

The only team that could try to do it the NFC would be the Lions.

They have the #7 this year and 2 1st's next year and if they ate Goff's 2022 Roster Bonus of $15,5M it would essentially

mean Goff only has a quarantined contract of $27M in 2021 with no Dead Cap after that.

So they would have plenty of options to make a Watson trade work.

A bit of a long shot but the more I think about it it's not that crazy.

Watson has a no trade clause.  He has no reason to okay a trade to the Lions.  He can say no and still maintain leverage over Texans’ management based on the fact he can simply not show up until week 10 if at all.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, purple haze said:

Watson has a no trade clause.  He has no reason to okay a trade to the Lions.  He can say no and still maintain leverage over Texans’ management based on the fact he can simply not show up until week 10 if at all.   

If he's OK being traded to the Jets...

19 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

If I were the Texans, I’d take less from an NFC team than an AFC.  Not significantly less but still less.  I’d take bridgewater and three 1sts and a 2nd over the Jets four #1’s and Darnold.  

You would take Bridegwater and 3 1sts over Darnold and 4 1sts??  Why?

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You would take Bridegwater and 3 1sts over Darnold and 4 1sts??  Why?

Yes.  I’d take Bridgewater, 3 1sts and a 2nd over Darnold and 4 1sts to get Watson out of the AFC if I were the Texans.  I wouldn’t want to potentially have to play him every year and it’s one less franchise QB in the conference for the next 10-15 years.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Yes.  I’d take Bridgewater, 3 1sts and a 2nd over Darnold and 4 1sts to get Watson out of the AFC if I were the Texans.  I wouldn’t want to potentially have to play him every year and it’s one less franchise QB in the conference for the next 10-15 years.  

I agree. But the only caveat is that if you trade with the Jets you could potentially get the 2nd overall pick. That could be a big deal if the Texans have a franchise QB grade on any of the QB's after Lawerence. But I'm not sure the Jets would trade 4 first round picks with one of them being the #2 overall pick. If I am the Jets I would say if you want the #2 overall included then the price is just 3 # 1's. 

That’s just silly to say they should take 3 plus Bridgewater instead of 4 from the Jets.  First of all, the Jets’ picks include the number 2 overall pick this year, which the Texans could easily flip for even more picks.  And I’m no fan of Darnold, but there’s at least a chance he can become a good starting QB in this league; Bridgewater is a back-up level qb at best. And of course, 4 first round picks is substantially better than 3, especially when one of those 3 picks is all the way into 2023.  

This “gotta trade him out of the conference” stuff is way overrated and is basically just superstition.

Edited by mannc
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

And that's the right move by them. We'll see how it ultimately shakes out. Unless someone offers an absolutely ridiculous return I'd just take it up to the opening kick and re-evaluate from there. Of course if Watson misses all of training camp and pre-season that's not a good sign. But my money is on him showing up for training camp. We'll see.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

This “gotta trade him out of the conference” stuff is way overrated and is basically just superstition.

It's definitely not superstition or even over rated. As I said, it is greatly complicated this year because the Jets and Dolphins both have a need for a QB and are by far the most draft capital rich teams in the league. Very unique off-season in that regard. But I don't exactly believe the Jets would be willing to give up 4 1st round picks if one of them is the #2 overall. That is a lot even for Watson. 

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That is what Houston wants the rest of the league to think.  They don’t want to be seen as anxious, or even willing, to trade Watson, at least at this point. No rush to do anything until shortly before the draft.

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

And that's the right move by them. We'll see how it ultimately shakes out. Unless someone offers an absolutely ridiculous return I'd just take it up to the opening kick and re-evaluate from there. Of course if Watson misses all of training camp and pre-season that's not a good sign. But my money is on him showing up for training camp. We'll see.

I'd let him sit as long as he wants.  Again they won just 4 games with him last year and aren't going to fare any better this year whether he played or not.  And again, at the minimum, if he desperately wants to be traded, it has to start with him repaying all his guaranteed money.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I'd let him sit as long as he wants.  Again they won just 4 games with him last year and aren't going to fare any better this year whether he played or not.  And again, at the minimum, if he desperately wants to be traded, it has to start with him repaying all his guaranteed money.

Yeah. And even if he sits the entire year, I don't know that his price tag drops substantially going into next off-season. Maybe down one first round pick in value? From 4 to 3 or from 3 to 2. That's a risk I would take if it means possibly mending the relationship for the long-term. 

17 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Yeah. And even if he sits the entire year, I don't know that his price tag drops substantially going into next off-season. Maybe down one first round pick in value? From 4 to 3 or from 3 to 2. That's a risk I would take if it means possibly mending the relationship for the long-term. 

If he sits out, his price tag/value won't decrease at all.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Texans probably aren't worried about playing Watson in the conference....plus, he's not going to be around in 10-15 years.

I would take the better QB and the larger number of 1sts and build my team with all that capital.  Darnold's ceiling is higher than backup QB Teddy B.   If he lasts that long, Bridgewater's ceiling/career may be that of Fitzy's.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And CMC would provide Texan fans with a superstar in exchange for a superstar. It would be a clear sign they aren't tanking.

IMO IF the Texans have to trade Watson their best deal is shipping him off to the NFC for CMC and 2 Panther 1st round picks.

You really think that a running back (with a 13-16 mill cap hit) and 2 1st rd picks is the best they can do for Watson?  BOB is no longer running the team.  Maybe CMC + 2 1sts + a mix of 2nds and 3rds.  Houston isn’t trading a draft pick that will be used on a QB that a team hopes will be a great QB. They are trading the best QB that will ever be traded in the prime of his career.