Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

20 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And CMC would provide Texan fans with a superstar in exchange for a superstar. It would be a clear sign they aren't tanking.

IMO IF the Texans have to trade Watson their best deal is shipping him off to the NFC for CMC and 2 Panther 1st round picks.

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

First off I don't think they will trade Watson.  My response was that in the event they had no choice landing CMC and 2 first round picks would be excellent.

As for CMC how quickly we forget his 2019 season.  He is one of only 2 RB's IMO who can carry a team on his back with the other being Henry.  In the modern era of football where super talented QB's throw the ball all over the field and desperate D-coordinators try to take away the intermediate & deep ball by allowing the check down pass, CMC could be a game changing player.

CMC has never played with a great QB who was a real threat to push the ball down the field.  Yet even with defensive coordinators knowing that CMC was the Panthers only viable offensive threat in 2019 he had over 100 catches WHILE rushing for well over 1,000 yards.  If you put CMC in the hands of a truly creative offensive coordinator who is operating a robust passing attack he would be close to unstoppable.

This is why if there is even the remotest chance the Bills could get CMC they should do it even if meant not signing another free agent.  Like Thurman Thomas was the key ingredient to the Bills glory years CMC, Allen & Diggs would be an unstoppable trio who would put the Bills into multiple Super Bowls.

I was just refuting the bolded. I don’t think that would be their best haul at all.  Far from it. 

I love mccaffery.  I think he’s the best back in the league and haven’t forgotten how amazing he is.   I agree that he would be an unbelievable addition to our team and could push our offense into all time great status. I’m not sure which positions we’d have to neglect because we’d be paying our RB 13-16M per year.....but I wouldn’t be opposed it.  We could be unstoppable.

that being said, I don’t believe a 13-16M rb is valuable enough to be the centerpiece of a trade for a great QB in his prime.  I’d much rather make a deal with the Jets or Fins.  Two division rivals with the 2nd and 3rd picks in the draft are in desperate need to add a star qb to battle 17 for the division.  Both teams have a ridiculous amount of picks as well as QBs (Darnold and Tua) that can be groomed or traded for more picks. They could also take their pick of the QBs in the draft other than Lawrence. 

trading him within the conference  sucks....and I’d try and avoid that, but you have to get the best value when you’re trading an asset like Watson.  A rb and 2 1st rd picks is not the best they can do.  And if you were hell bent on trading him to the NFC, I’d have to imagine that another NFC team could come up with more than that as well.  It’s just not a trade worthy of Deshaun Watson

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

As of right now, Watson is basically saying he's done with the team and will sit out.  Teams see this.  The thing is, the Texans aren't even fielding calls for him so no one is coming in with any deal, crazy or otherwise.  So even if he were to sit out next year and gets traded next off-season, we'll never know what the Texans lost by waiting a year.

But he will have just as much value next year as this year because he'll still be a top-5 QB and several teams will have an interest in him.  That won't change by sitting-out a year.  The only thing that will happen is he'll lose money and that just might change his mind about sitting out, which is probably what the Texans are hoping happens.  Again they can be a bottom-3 team just as easily without him as with him.

If something is absolutely not for sale, then the price is higher than when it is. 

There is always a price that gets a deal done. 

Would Houston take Mahomes, and Kelsey for Watson?

OK, then there's a price. so who can pay it? 

Edited by TheFunPolice

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

If something is absolutely not for sale, then the price is higher than when it is. 

There is always a price that gets a deal done. 

I disagree.  If something isn't for sale, there are no offers being made.  If someone says "I'm not selling" and someone really wants it, that usually elicits higher offers.

Just now, Doc said:

I disagree.  If something isn't for sale, there are no offers being made.  If someone says "I'm not selling" and someone really wants it, that usually elicits higher offers.

I think we're saying the same thing. 

As much as I love piling on Houston's circus show of an organization, they are playing this perfectly right now. 

The offers Houston will get now will be the highest they will ever get. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

"loyalty is everything"... proceeds to force his way out a year after signing.  I dont think Watson is completely at fault here, but he sounds stupid playing the loyalty card here

He wanted the big $$$ contract at all costs, got the big $$$ contract at all costs, and now thinks he has more power than the people who invested that big $$$ in him thinking he would be the face of the franchise for the next 5 years at the least. 

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

As much as I love piling on Houston's circus show of an organization, they are playing this perfectly right now. 

Absolutely.  There’s like 10 teams actively looking for a staring QB right now.  That number will drop by at least half after the draft.  And teams haven’t spent money yet on free agency.  The next 2-3 weeks are probably the sweet spot for Houston.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Teddy is a more accurate thrower than Tyrod and he has never really been a running QB. He had 200 yards as a rookie but it was trending down his 2nd year before the injury ahead of his 3rd season and would have continued to regardless IMO because he is a pocket QB. So he is different to Tyrod in that respect. Where he is similar is he does not throw guys open and he holds the football too long waiting for a guy to be college open. Kinda like Tua did this past year too. Teddy has never developed beyond that. Too safe of a decision maker. 

I agree we haven't seen the best of Darnold. If Darnold is available and I am say Washington or New England or Pittsburgh that is who I'd be calling about. Frankly that's where I'd have gone first if I was Indy too. If I am going to take a punt on a maybe this year because I am not in a position to draft a guy then Darnold would be that maybe. 

I guess I meant that TT and TB were in the same order of magnitude, but Darnold is one above, potentially.

29 minutes ago, Doc said:

As of right now, Watson is basically saying he's done with the team and will sit out.  Teams see this.  The thing is, the Texans aren't even fielding calls for him so no one is coming in with any deal, crazy or otherwise.  So even if he were to sit out next year and gets traded next off-season, we'll never know what the Texans lost by waiting a year.

But he will have just as much value next year as this year because he'll still be a top-5 QB and several teams will have an interest in him.  That won't change by sitting-out a year.  The only thing that will happen is he'll lose money and that just might change his mind about sitting out, which is probably what the Texans are hoping happens.  Again they can be a bottom-3 team just as easily without him as with him.

No he won't, obviously.  Plus he has only been a "top 5" once.  A year removed from one very good season and zero football played doesn't make him as attractive as he is now.  Not sure how that isn't obvious.

Do you really think that if he holds out a full season, that he would then come back the following season to the Texans?  Or that they wouldn't want to unload him if he refuses to play? 

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

They are absolutely listening to offers as we speak doc.

9 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

"loyalty is everything"... proceeds to force his way out a year after signing.  I dont think Watson is completely at fault here, but he sounds stupid playing the loyalty card here

It’s football. If he doesn’t take the contract and blows out his knee, he loses out.  Then the team flat out lied to him about involving him in decisions, which they approached him about in the first place. 

this isn’t James Harden in the NBA.no one got upset when Stafford did the Same thing.  Watson is totally in the right here. 

they are being run by a weirdo chaplain. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thebiglead.com/posts/here-s-video-of-jack-easterby-doing-bad-regional-stand-up-material-at-a-2017-church-youth-event-01exqx49zq6f/amp

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

We agree on them playing it perfectly so far.  We'll agree to disagree that they'll still get great offers next year if he's still a Texan and they decide to trade him.

5 hours ago, Doc said:

If he sits out, his price tag/value won't decrease at all.

You have to factor in the loss value of a lost year of his prime. Any new team that trades for him will now get one less year of his prime. They also lose the benefit of Watson being on a cheaper contract next season. His cap hit really ramps up starting in 2022.

54 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

this isn’t James Harden in the NBA.no one got upset when Stafford did the Same thing.  Watson is totally in the right here. 

Comparing the Stafford and Watson situation is comparing apples to oranges. Stafford had been with the team for a decade and it was clear both parties needed to move on for the betterment of all. The Texans and Watson are in a completely different relationship stage. 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

We agree on them playing it perfectly so far.  We'll agree to disagree that they'll still get great offers next year if he's still a Texan and they decide to trade him.

Oh, they will still get great offers, but not as great as they would now. 

If the Texans play their cards right, they could dig out of the gigantic mess that O'Brien left behind of few start players, no draft picks, and no hope. Trade Watson, a great QB but not irreplaceable, for a package that will sting the other team. Then you've got assets to flip for even more picks. build a team, get it ready to win, then hire a real head coach. 

But if ego gets in the way and they dig in on this they lose value. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

You have to factor in the loss value of a lost year of his prime. Any new team that trades for him will now get one less year of his prime. They also lose the benefit of Watson being on a cheaper contract next season. His cap hit really ramps up starting in 2022.

Comparing the Stafford and Watson situation is comparing apples to oranges. Stafford had been with the team for a decade and it was clear both parties needed to move on for the betterment of all. The Texans and Watson are in a completely different relationship stage. 

So Watson should just wait ten years for the Texans to ruin his prime? Your point might hold more water if the Lions traded away Calvin Johnson earlier in his career for some washed up rb,

3 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

A year of his prime doesn't matter.  QBs are playing well into their 30's and he's just 25 and his contract runs through age 30.  And if he sits out, no wear and tear on his body.  That's an issue for the next contract.

As for being more expensive a year later, I'm sure a trade this year would involve an immediate new deal.  Especially if he has to repay his guaranteed money, which I'm sure the Texans will demand before he's traded.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This scene is one of the hardest to watch in movie history. 

absolutely brutal. 😂

I love how Caserio is just sending everyone straight to voicemail too - as if they ignore the issue long enough it’ll just go away. I’m sure taking that route is coming straight from McNair and Littlefinger too. Bunch of real professionals they got running the show down there. 

17 hours ago, Doc said:

If he's OK being traded to the Jets...

Jets are in the NYC Metro area.  His off field marketing profile ($$$) will go up exponentially.  And, from reports, he likes Robert Saleh.  No word on his opinion of Dan Campbell.  Jets also have $ to spend on FA and I’d be willing to bet several would come to play with Watson.

I still contend it would be suicide for Caserio and the no name new head coach to allow it.  Once the draft is over, the picks etc., are less of a motivator for the Texans.  What is Watson going to leave $25 mil. In a holdout.  That won’t happen.  The new coach and GM will have to try and find a way to mend fences.  I don’t see it.

I'm just a regular guy so I could be wrong, but I would be shocked if we ever see this trade this year.  It is even more advantageous for other teams as Watson’s contract had a ton in bonuses making his salary very palatable for other teams, but even more powerful motivator by the Texans to not take any offers.