Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Which literally included not retaining or trading away any 1st or 2nd round pick still on the Bills roster from prior to their arrival (except Shaq, who they refused the 5th year option on).

Again.........Houston was already going to be bad because of O'Brien's GM work.

Letting Watt walk for nothing was exactly what McDermott did in not franchising Gilmore.........except Gilmore was in his prime and had 1st round trade value.

Even though Gilmore became the NFL's defensive player of the year for our most bitter division enemy........and Woods has had several great seasons..........letting go of your elite franchise QB is another level of stupid.

I was talking about how Beane, and McDermott, have set up our franchise to be a team the players love to be on.  FA’s, current and draft picks working towards the same goals.

As far as what Beane has/has not done regarding players like Gilmore?  Again, not what I was talking about, but I’ll bite.  Good riddance to him.  Contract would have stopped us from keeping other players and depth.  Every player can’t be paid 10 million per year.  Need to have upper echelon players, along with good players who are paid less.  Homegrown draft picks or 2nd tier FA’s both who contribute and complement the higher paid players.  He may be a top 5 player, but he’s not the type of player they want.  

Pretty sure being in the AFC Championship game lends credence to what a good job Beane has done.  

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

I was talking about how Beane, and McDermott, have set up our franchise to be a team the players love to be on.  FA’s, current and draft picks working towards the same goals.

As far as what Beane has/has not done regarding players like Gilmore?  Again, not what I was talking about, but I’ll bite.  Good riddance to him.  Contract would have stopped us from keeping other players and depth.  Every player can’t be paid 10 million per year.  Need to have upper echelon players, along with good players who are paid less.  Homegrown draft picks or 2nd tier FA’s both who contribute and complement the higher paid players.  He may be a top 5 player, but he’s not the type of player they want.  

Pretty sure being in the AFC Championship game lends credence to what a good job Beane has done.  

And White replaced him at a fraction of the cost, initially.  And they extended him.  Showing that the didn't really care for Gilmore.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Which literally included not retaining or trading away any 1st or 2nd round pick still on the Bills roster from prior to their arrival (except Shaq, who they refused the 5th year option on).

Again.........Houston was already going to be bad because of O'Brien's GM work.

Letting Watt walk for nothing was exactly what McDermott did in not franchising Gilmore.........except Gilmore was in his prime and had 1st round trade value.

Even though Gilmore became the NFL's defensive player of the year for our most bitter division enemy........and Woods has had several great seasons..........letting go of your elite franchise QB is another level of stupid.

Gilmore was a free agent. Watt was cut. I do not see any similarity there.

Now you can say the Bills were wrong to let Gilmore walk (even though he was a malcontent and didn't want to be in Buffalo. He wanted national recognition), but that doesn't correlate to Watt being cut at all.

7 hours ago, davefan66 said:

JJ Watt's 2021 base salary was actually higher than it would have cost to franchise tag Gilmore........not much difference at all.........and then they could have traded him.   His worth was certainly a late first rounder and guys like Tre White and TJ Watt went late in that first round.   

We're welcome to laugh at Houston but in the offseason after the Rex firing the Bills were just as big of a laughingstock as Houston is.........the key difference is that the Bills weren't in the news for their dumpster fire because they didn't even have an elite QB or 3 time DPOY to lose.    So many parallels........including the two dope HC's that got fired in O'Brien and Rex.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

JJ Watt's 2021 base salary was actually higher than it would have cost to franchise tag Gilmore........not much difference at all.........and then they could have traded him.   His worth was certainly a late first rounder and guys like Tre White and TJ Watt went late in that first round.   

We're welcome to laugh at Houston but in the offseason after the Rex firing the Bills were just as big of a laughingstock as Houston is.........the key difference is that the Bills weren't in the news for their dumpster fire because they didn't even have an elite QB or 3 time DPOY to lose.    So many parallels........including the two dope HC's that got fired in O'Brien and Rex.

I'm not sure where (else besides the obvious) you're getting that the Bills were a "laughingstock" after they fired Rex.  If anything, it showed that Pegs could admit and move on from a mistake quickly.  And then he hit a home run with McBeane. 

And Rex didn't gut the Bills and leave them in a hole that will take years to get out of.  Despite not having an elite QB...yet.

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, MJS said:

Gilmore was a free agent. Watt was cut. I do not see any similarity there.

Now you can say the Bills were wrong to let Gilmore walk (even though he was a malcontent and didn't want to be in Buffalo. He wanted national recognition), but that doesn't correlate to Watt being cut at all.

Watt wasn't a free agent but they had little choice but to either trade or let him go........and at 32 with a $17M base salary coming off a 5 sack season he wasn't a particularly valuable trade commodity...........they are in huge cap trouble and he was the most obvious start to the solution.

The Bills though,  could have franchised Gilmore and traded him for great value...........whether he was a malcontent or not is irrelevant because he wouldn't have signed the tender until any hope of a long term deal elsewhere was exhausted.     It was a short-sighted decision at a time when they were making a lot of them.    

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm not sure where (else besides the obvious) you're getting that the Bills were a "laughingstock" after they fired Rex. 

They hadn't even been to the playoffs once in 16 years.    They were a laughingstock.    That's not even subject to debate.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They hadn't even been to the playoffs once in 16 years.    They were a laughingstock.    That's not even subject to debate.

They hadn't been to the playoffs once in 14 years when he was hired.  Another 2 years in the beginning of a new ownership group meant little.  And people stopped laughing a few months later...

The Texans OTOH will be in a world of hurt for a long time if they don't get rid of Easterby.  And judging by the fact that everyone knows he's a problem, whether real or perceived, and they have not only not done anything about it but made things worse, tells me McNair won't be having an epiphany anytime soon.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'll be surprised if the Dolphins give up on Tua so soon. The guy hasn't even played a full season. I also think the Colts are a likely contender since they're already a playoff caliber team. Washington, Chicago and San Francisco would be much improved with him on board too.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

This has to be so depressing for Texans fans.. JJ Watt, out and now Deshaun Watson wants out too. I mean, what a soul sucking reality for that fan base. Should give Watson a pay bump or something, you cannot let him go if you’re serious about winning.

Don’t forget about Hopkins.

• Agree 1