How does Josh work on his nerves...?

Adamb412

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Josh really didn't play very well, at least not to the standard he set his year, all of the post season. That said, and as one of the biggest former Allen haters in Bills fandom, give the kid a break. It's not his fault he's not Mahomes. Allen made a historic leap that no QB has ever come close to this year. If he only gets marginally better from here on out, it'll be good enough to get it done at some point. You're asking way too much from someone that already gave us more than we deserved.

I honestly think if you switch the QBs the score is about the same. Kelce and Hill were unbelievable. They had better offensive play calling, protection, and talent. That was the difference in the game. 

26 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Using the word choke is way to harsh and ignoring every other area of the Team last night.

Those points have already been discussed.

Josh has things to work on. He pressed at times. He even said as much. Did his play single handedly  lose this game for us no. Could he

have won it for us-no. 

We are not there yet. 

It’s hard not to press when you have no help from your running game and you have to watch you defence get gashed. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, london_bills said:

By his own admission and the coaches admission he shouldn't need to take the whole game on his shoulders constantly. I think by taking some checkdowns when the other big stuff isn't there he's a more dangerous QB. Do not remove the good stuff, just be more patient. 

The 'maturity' they are always talking about is making yourself less predictable so you don't have obvious weaknesses. The opponent is thinking 'he won't take the stuff we are giving him and will become impatient'. Belichek was goading him earlier in the season and he didn't take the bait. How many times has mcdermott says 'he needs to take what the defense is giving him.'?

I think where I disagree with you is that 'in general he made good decisions.' based on what I'm saying I can't really agree with that. He made good decisions in regards to not turning it over for the most part. 

Daboll runs a similar system to NE. Brady takes alot of those checkdowns if he's in there. There were other problems no doubt, just pointing out where I thought Allen could of been better under pressure by playing more patiently. 

By checking down more it forces people to come up. A fast playmaker would help too. 

The Bills didn't have a problem sustaining drives, which is evidence that check downs weren't a problem. You don't score in the RZ with checkdowns, and the RZ was where the problem. There, it's about route running to create holes and running the football. Neither of which the Bills were very successful, neither of which are on Josh Allen.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I'm just waiting for the All-22 to show me what big throw that was available that he missed. 

Missed checkdowns yes, always chooses to scramble right, holds the ball too long trying to make plays. 

But watching that game, I don't know who was open, maybe they should have shortened the routes more, or use McKenzie more?

I think we should always be using McKenzie more. I think he could be much better than sort of the gimmicky role we consistently use him as. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, billspro said:

I honestly think if you switch the QBs the score is about the same. Kelce and Hill were unbelievable. They had better offensive play calling, protection, and talent. That was the difference in the game. 

It’s hard not to press when you have no help from your running game and you have to watch you defence get gashed. 

Wich seemed odd considering Yeldon appeared up for the task IMO. They just didn't call his number enough

8 minutes ago, Figster said:

Wich seemed odd considering Yeldon appeared up for the task IMO. They just didn't call his number enough

He always has appeared that way, especially last year when the Bills kept handing it off to Gore for 3 yards per carry. 

He fumbled that first preseason game and it seems like he has been in that doghouse since. 

Singletary certainly doesn't do anything better than Yeldon, and Moss is a slow plodder mostly and this staff loves him because he's Tolbert, Ivory, Gore all over again. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think we should always be using McKenzie more. I think he could be much better than sort of the gimmicky role we consistently use him as. 

Well, if we're going to use injuries as the reason our WRs couldn't separate, then I don't understand why we couldn't keep our 4-wide and 5-wide looks and substitute in McKenzie in Davis' place? 

Instead it was 3-wide with Knox, with Yeldon. I don't see either of those two as a better option for touches than McKenzie. 

After he 3-touchdown game against Miami, Daboll and this Coaching Staff virtually eliminated McKenzie from the playbook. 

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He always has appeared that way, especially last year when the Bills kept handing it off to Gore for 3 yards per carry. 

He fumbled that first preseason game and it seems like he has been in that doghouse since. 

Singletary certainly doesn't do anything better than Yeldon, and Moss is a slow plodder mostly and this staff loves him because he's Tolbert, Ivory, Gore all over again. 

Yeldons big, good hands and fits well in the Bills O as an all purpose back IMO.

Best hands of the group IMO

2 hours ago, teef said:

josh is the major reason the bills were in the afc championship game yesterday.  

Josh is the ONLY reason the bills were in the AFC championship game yesterday. You put an average QB, say Dalton, on this team and we don't even make the playoffs. 

We are similar to the Packers in that a top QB was able to carry the team to the championship games, but the lack of talent elsewhere, and bad coaching, got exposed against the best.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Process said:

Josh is the ONLY reason the bills were in the AFC championship game yesterday. You put an average QB, say Dalton, on this team and we don't even make the playoffs. 

We are similar to the Packers in that a top QB was able to carry the team to the championship games, but the lack of talent elsewhere, and bad coaching, got exposed against the best.

Towards the end, we started to look like the Steelers with a better QB. 

3 minutes ago, Process said:

Or, in the Packers case, the Bucs. 😀

I do think Josh had nerves yesterday and why shouldn't he? As already alluded to earlier in the thread, look what happened to Brady and Rodgers yesterday - two Quarterbacks with far more experience than Josh at the play offs. One threw three picks, the other failed miserably to take advantage and threw two of his own.

If he shows signs of this if/when we next make the play offs then maybe something deeper needs to be considered but my question is was anyone trying to help him yesterday? The offense was horrific and the coaching dire - we've expected Josh to pull us through time and time again and eventually that was never going to be enough. At this stage my fear for next season isn't Josh but other parts of the team.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The consistent riding of the bench of Yeldon was head scratching. He’s not good but he’s probably the best overall RB on the roster which says a lot about the waste of 3rd round picks on RBs we’ve been stacking up these past couple drafts. 

Fan of Yeldon from his days with Alabama. I agree with the wasted draft picks on the RB position. Not saying an elte back wouldn't be nice. Moss for the most part is an unknown still that did show some promise before injury.

C J Yeldons a FA after the season so we may never find out how good he could have been in the Daboll O.  

2 hours ago, Crayola64 said:

Is there anything to back up he doesn’t perform in big games?  He has done great in the 4th quarter when losing, won two playoff games this year, great in prime time, plenty of comebacks and game winning drives.

losing against the best team in the league in the afc championship means he doesn’t perform in big games?  

He almost threw 4 INTs yesterday. He overthrew a lot. He made bad decisions. He took 3 really bad plays (almost 4 that set the Bills back like 20 yards each.

I love Josh, but he was not regular season Allen yesterday. Clearly the moment got to him, and that's ok as long as he can overcome it.

1 minute ago, Boxcar said:

He almost threw 4 INTs yesterday. He overthrew a lot. He made bad decisions. He took 3 really bad plays (almost 4 that set the Bills back like 20 yards each.

I love Josh, but he was not regular season Allen yesterday. Clearly the moment got to him, and that's ok as long as he can overcome it.

The moment in combination with family concerns IMO

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The consistent riding of the bench of Yeldon was head scratching. He’s not good but he’s probably the best overall RB on the roster which says a lot about the waste of 3rd round picks on RBs we’ve been stacking up these past couple drafts. 

It showed me how much we lack at the running back position. I'm not for spending high cap on RBs but we need someone that can make plays. Singletary for whatever reason lost some of that over the offseason. Last year whenever he touched the ball he was electric. 

5 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

He was off but I have to wait and see the 22 film because I really didn't see anything open other than a few underneath routes. 

Now the question I had was that the Chiefs plan, to make Josh dink and dunk? Josh was slow to hit anything underneath this game. He was doing so well at that part of his game the 2nd half of the season. Something the Chiefs do to hide their coverage really gives Josh problems. 

Mahomes first AFC title game in 2019. 

Watkins had 115 yards on 4 catches.  Chiefs got 2 4th quarter TDs bc their D was very good for 3 quarters and kept them in the game.  

They were down 17-7 going into the 4th quarter where Mahomes threw 2 of his TDs and the Chiefs scored 24 pts to force OT.

This game was in KC.  And yes I know NE D was very very good that year, this is really just to add a little perspective. 

Until that 4th quarter the Chiefs O was manhandled and hasn't been since then.   

Screenshot_20210125-162931_Chrome.jpg

23 minutes ago, Process said:

completely agree.  this team is good, but not good enough yet.