How does Josh work on his nerves...?

Adamb412

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Moss and Motor are just two examples of a bad use of resources with a 3rd round pick and Yeldon is a perfect example as to why. 

There’s literally no drop off from Moss/Motor to Yeldon and he’s actually shown more out of the backfield then both. 

I get the disdain for Singletary, but Moss was good this year. He averaged over 4 yards per carry and was improving as the year went on. He's a great Gus Edwards-type of back. It sure would be nice to have a guy who can just explode through gaps, though.

The defense was a complete sieve.  The pressure the defense put on the offense to score almost every drive was significant.  It was a team loss, as our D was no match for their O, and their D played well.  Putting any of that on "nerves" is absurd.

3 hours ago, Adamb412 said:

Josh had a great season no doubt about it, but when the big game comes he choked.  I feel like Josh's mentality is more of Alex Zverev and not that of Djokovic (Tennis Fans).  When the "No tomorrow" situation comes, he DOESNT leave it all on the field. We squeaked by the colts, without johnson INT vs the ravens, we would of scored ten points total.  Unacceptable. This is my big concern.  How does someone work on nerves? I was joking with my dad during the game last night he needs to take a shot of whiskey to calm the nerves, but obviously the dude does not have ice water in his veins which is something a QB needs.  So what are the solutions? Sports Phych? Yoga? 

OP, you're an idiot. 

Had to be said.

If your theory is correct OP, why didn't he choke against the Colts in a tight game where the defense didn't show up? Or why didn't he choke in a tight windy game against the Ravens? Were those not big games?

My impression is the Bills were more than glad to sit back and let Josh do just about everything... he’s been superb, and I think that tendency just kind of becomes default... to take the next step, other guys need to step up and shine... 

I haven’t seen a defense like that since the Seahawks Legion of Boom 2013 or Broncos No Fly Zone 2015.... 

Josh reminded of Manning in 2013 SB... awesome offense that was absolutely stonewalled and beat up.... it wasn’t that bad, but it was close.

Every time I watched that pocket collapse almost instantly in the middle, I thought Josh had no chance.

Daboll sure didn’t make Josh’s life easier...  

nerves.... sheesh 

Edited by B-Large
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

OP, you're an idiot. 

Had to be said.

If your theory is correct OP, why didn't he choke against the Colts in a tight game where the defense didn't show up? Or why didn't he choke in a tight windy game against the Ravens? Were those not big games?

I agree, with the exception of calling OP an idiot

8 minutes ago, Casey D said:

The defense was a complete sieve.  The pressure the defense put on the offense to score almost every drive was significant.  It was a team loss, as our D was no match for their O, and their D played well.  Putting any of that on "nerves" is absurd.

Terrible game plan on defense. I'm not sure how they could think playing soft against the Chiefs would work. You have to be physical with any good offense. Get in their face. 

42 minutes ago, appoo said:

The Bills didn't have a problem sustaining drives, which is evidence that check downs weren't a problem. You don't score in the RZ with checkdowns, and the RZ was where the problem. There, it's about route running to create holes and running the football. Neither of which the Bills were very successful, neither of which are on Josh Allen.

OK. Fair enough. Can more checkdowns not open up more big plays?

Against the texans and this game, Allen hasn't been his very best and as others have said still appears nervous (or whatever word applies.) Im looking at what could of improved his performance in line with other times he's played really well. Yes, I understand that check downs don't apply in the RZ. I have never really took issue with the offensive play calling before but have been frustrated with that of late as I think this plays into a predictability that KC seemed to think of our offence yesterday. Limited use of yeldon has been concerning, I was disappointed to see him inactive much of the season then he's suddenly part of the action in the biggest game of the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, london_bills said:

OK. Fair enough. Can more checkdowns not open up more big plays?

Against the texans and this game, Allen hasn't been his very best and as others have said still appears nervous (or whatever word applies.) Im looking at what could of improved his performance in line with other times he's played really well. Yes, I understand that check downs don't apply in the RZ. I have never really took issue with the offensive play calling before but have been frustrated with that of late as I think this plays into a predictability that KC seemed to think of our offence yesterday. Limited use of yeldon has been concerning, I was disappointed to see him inactive much of the season then he's suddenly part of the action in the biggest game of the season. 

The issue I'm having with your proposal is that if there's list of 10 problems with the Bills in that game, then Josh Allen is 9 the lowest ranked, just ahead of our kicking game, which was superb.

And to be honest, the problems he did have - which was basically holding the ball too long, trying to find plays that just weren't there deep - were partly caused by problems #1 - 8. The had no chance of slowing down the Chiefs, his WRs were badly struggling, and his running game mostly non-existent. That in turn put more pressure on Allen to make plays.

This was far from Josh's best game, but he really wasn't bad given the circumstances.

He had a few bad throws when he tried to force the ball into tight coverage (which were reasonable risks given the performance of our defense).  

At what point in the game do you think he was playing "nervous" ? At worst I think Josh was trying too hard and reverting to hero ball, but again, that was called for given the circumstances (Bills couldn't run the ball, WR not getting open, terrible O-line work, and the defense couldn't stop anyone). 

Do you think there's a single QB on the planet that would've won the game for the Bills had they started in Allen's spot? I don't 

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Mahomes first AFC title game in 2019. 

Watkins had 115 yards on 4 catches.  Chiefs got 2 4th quarter TDs bc their D was very good for 3 quarters and kept them in the game.  

They were down 17-7 going into the 4th quarter where Mahomes threw 2 of his TDs and the Chiefs scored 24 pts to force OT.

This game was in KC.  And yes I know NE D was very very good that year, this is really just to add a little perspective. 

Until that 4th quarter the Chiefs O was manhandled and hasn't been since then.   

Screenshot_20210125-162931_Chrome.jpg

How quickly people forget the past.  Mahomes in his first AFC championship game was clearly overwhelmed for the first 3 quarters of that game.  The Chiefs were shut out in the first half for crying out loud. After 3 quarters KC had only scored 7 points.

The stat line between Allen & Mahomes wasn't all that different either.  And note how Mahomes was sacked 4 times for minus 46 yards.  That's over 11 yards per sack.  Looks like Patrick ran backwards some to.

As time goes on and the sting of this loss fades we'll appreciate that Allen played okay for his first AFC championship game.  The Bills were beat by a better team.  It's really that simple.  Like in 1988, this Bills team had to experience a deep playoff run in order to make Super Bowl runs. It has and now on to next year.