How does Josh work on his nerves...?

Adamb412

2 minutes ago, A Firm Tree Does Not Fear said:

it certainly means he didn't in that game. sorry, I'm not satisfied with getting close, finishing second best. to be the best you have to beat the best. JA and the team are/were not ready for that big stage and it showed last night. I hope he works hard on his mental game this offseason along with some talent additions on both sides of the ball. I realize there is more to losing the game then that of play of the QB, so not all blame should go on his shoulders but both he and the team did not perform good enough to win.

Works hard on his mental game....lol.  Yeah because as we all know Josh Allen is not a hard worker, nope not at all.   

If i wanted to hear this crap I would look up what Nick Wright is saying today.

Yeah it is tough to lose a game, isn't it, deal with it.

• Eyeroll 1

In every replay you could see the receivers being covered. Not just kind of covered, but covered covered. Not sure how Josh's nerves can fix that.

Also, Brady threw three interceptions yesterday. Is there a way to fix his nerves? Maybe a sports psychologist or something?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Experience. He came unglued in the second half vs. Houston last year and then handled the pressure much better vs. Colts this year. When we get back to conference championship game next year he'll have this experience to draw on and will likely be better. 

• Like (+1) 1

Did he improve from last post season to this post season?  I say yes and I would also say I think we can expect him to improve again this off season based on his track record.

I don't think he chokes, but I think is issue is still "tries to do too much".  So when he gets backed into a corner, he can make mistakes.  He improved in that this year but it is still there.  Not sure you will ever get it totally out of him.  The interception was not the best ball and he took some ridiculous sacks...take those away it's not like the Bills win.  He can fight off a tackle but by the time he does others are there, he needs to take a sack.  Like others said, the Chiefs bottled up the receivers and gave him few options so he felt like it all fell on him.  There probably should have been more check downs or scrambles by Josh...or an actual running game, something had to be there and the Bills did not take advantage of that.  I blame game plan over Josh.  The Bills did not have a counter punch.

Josh has a lot of 4th quarter comebacks for a young guy. He won and excelled in many big games this year. He won two playoff games. Yesterday his WRs were never open and he was literally the entire offense as his WRs were not doing well, his RBs were AWOL, and his line sucked. Still ended with 290 and 90 rushing. Some garbage stats but there are almost no one else did jack squat.

Brady threw three picks. Rodgers choked. Etc. 

Bills played a one loss defending SB champ. Bills lost. Josh didn't have a great game but I'm not sure who would have found more offense than him.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

In every replay you could see the receivers being covered. Not just kind of covered, but covered covered. Not sure how Josh's nerves can fix that.

Also, Brady threw three interceptions yesterday. Is there a way to fix his nerves? Maybe a sports psychologist or something?

Credit the Chiefs for blanketing us most of the game. Josh can't do everything. 

That said, he had guys open underneath on a lot of plays that he didn't see and was inaccurate on several throws that we've seen him make all year. We depend on him for so much of the offense, and he played at such a high level this year that every little mistake is noticeable. 

Edited by VW82

Look, I know everyone's upset and wants to defend Josh, but he *absolutely* looked nervy. He's in year 3. What other elite QBs do you see look nervy? Please be objective. It's a big concern. Yes, we're only here because of him, but being here is not good enough. As another poster alluded, the best QBs have ice water in their veins in the biggest moments. Yesterday was a big test for Josh to show he could handle it emotionally/mentally, and he showed that there's a lot of improvement to make in this area. I hope he takes it as seriously over this off-season as he did with his accuracy in prior years. I have faith he can improve, but let's not pretend there's not an issue when there very clearly is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Good lord give the man a break, it was by far his longest season EVER  at any level, so he looked dejected sitting on the bench...gee I wonder why?

Yeah, 1 game away from the Super Bowl and your talking about the longest season made him look worn out and defeated sitting on the sideline.  Silly response, embarrassing response!  Josh Allen is going to continue to grow and be a stud!  With that said he definitely look defeated with a ton of game left.   We simply got out schemed/coached on both sides of the ball.  Played too safe, especially on defense. 

44 minutes ago, Adamb412 said:

Josh had a great season no doubt about it, but when the big game comes he choked.  I feel like Josh's mentality is more of Alex Zverev and not that of Djokovic (Tennis Fans).  When the "No tomorrow" situation comes, he DOESNT leave it all on the field. We squeaked by the colts, without johnson INT vs the ravens, we would of scored ten points total.  Unacceptable. This is my big concern.  How does someone work on nerves? I was joking with my dad during the game last night he needs to take a shot of whiskey to calm the nerves, but obviously the dude does not have ice water in his veins which is something a QB needs.  So what are the solutions? Sports Phych? Yoga? 

Experience.  I used to play competitive golf.  The more you are in the moment the more you learn how to handle it.

49 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Look, I know everyone's upset and wants to defend Josh, but he *absolutely* looked nervy. He's in year 3. What other elite QBs do you see look nervy? Please be objective. It's a big concern. Yes, we're only here because of him, but being here is not good enough. As another poster alluded, the best QBs have ice water in their veins in the biggest moments. Yesterday was a big test for Josh to show he could handle it emotionally/mentally, and he showed that there's a lot of improvement to make in this area. I hope he takes it as seriously over this off-season as he did with his accuracy in prior years. I have faith he can improve, but let's not pretend there's not an issue when there very clearly is.

weren't you the guy that a few weeks ago was telling everyone they were so depressed because you didn't think this coaching staff would go anywhere in the playoffs?

people are over reacting here.  80% of the offense runs through josh, and josh got us there.  it wasn't a perfect game by any means, but this staff has to find a way just to take a bit of it off of josh's shoulders, and make this team a bit less one dimensional.  the kc defense did a great job yesterday, even if certain people decide to ignore that.  

this team had a good year and there's a lot of room for improvement.  people need to take a deep breath and calm down.

Edited by teef
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Credit the Chiefs for blanketing us most of the game. Josh can't do everything. 

That said, he had guys open underneath on a lot of plays that he didn't see and was inaccurate on several throws that we've seen him make all year. We depend on him for so much of the offense, and he played at such a high level this year that every little mistake is noticeable. 

I have been defending J Allen in this thread but That is one thing i can agree on.  That one pass to Singletary comes to mind, he seemed to be overthrowing some of his short passes.  

Is the man expected to be perfect every game?  Every player has a bad game here or there...this was one of his bad games.  I know its a bummer but it happens.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Adamb412 said:

Josh had a great season no doubt about it, but when the big game comes he choked.  I feel like Josh's mentality is more of Alex Zverev and not that of Djokovic (Tennis Fans).  When the "No tomorrow" situation comes, he DOESNT leave it all on the field. We squeaked by the colts, without johnson INT vs the ravens, we would of scored ten points total.  Unacceptable. This is my big concern.  How does someone work on nerves? I was joking with my dad during the game last night he needs to take a shot of whiskey to calm the nerves, but obviously the dude does not have ice water in his veins which is something a QB needs.  So what are the solutions? Sports Phych? Yoga? 

I think we need a real analysis of the tape from last night before we start blaming Allen for this loss. 

For example, before the interception to Brown, one play earlier Knox drops a pass that hits him in the hands. 

He sailed the sideline throw to Diggs, and forced a few into coverage, bypassed a couple of check downs that were available in the game. 

3 minutes ago, JOSH HUFF said:

Yeah, 1 game away from the Super Bowl and your talking about the longest season made him look worn out and defeated sitting on the sideline.  Silly response, embarrassing response!  Josh Allen is going to continue to grow and be a stud!  With that said he definitely look defeated with a ton of game left.   We simply got out schemed/coached on both sides of the ball.  Played too safe, especially on defense. 

Well I guess i am just silly and embarrassing myself.

Hilarious, 24 hours ago people here were praising J Allen and talking about the future and now has has to work on his mental game.

I just cant believe we have a QB that getting beat up in a playoff game actually had the nerve to look dejected.  I cant believe our QB could have a bad game, really inexcusable.  

5 minutes ago, teef said:

weren't you the guy that a few weeks ago was telling everyone they were so depressed because you didn't think this coaching staff would go anywhere in the playoffs?

people are over reaction here.  80% of the offense runs through josh, and josh got us there.  it wasn't a perfect game by any means, but this staff has to find a way just to take a bit of it off of josh's shoulders, and make this team a bit less one dimensional.  the kc defense did a great job yesterday, even if certain people decide to ignore that.  

this team had a good year and there's a lot of room for improvement.  people need to take a deep breath and calm down.

This literally has nothing to do with the topic.

Objective observers everywhere can see that the "mental" is an issue with Allen. Why is everyone so afraid of accepting that? I just said I have faith he can improve. But some people just seem to be scared to death to acknowledge the need for improvement.

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think we need a real analysis of the tape from last night before we start blaming Allen for this loss. 

For example, before the interception to Brown, one play earlier Knox drops a pass that hits him in the hands. 

He sailed the sideline throw to Diggs, and forced a few into coverage, bypassed a couple of check downs that were available in the game. 

Some of that is the coaches. Someone had to pull him aside and tell him he was missing open checkdowns (I saw this a few times but I don't think that opportunity was there in the plays they were running as much as it could have been). Consider how many times Knox and Yeldon got their number called. They were trying to run some short stuff. It just wasn't enough. 

9 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Most all the other elite QBs in the league have been at it for years now, except Mahomes.  Go back and see if they played in a championship game in year 3, then tell me how they looked.

Josh didn't play that well last night.  Their defense played really well, and that's that.  He'll learn and continue to develop from this.

• Like (+1) 1