Rapaport: Patriots tried to trade for Diggs at same time as Buffalo

YoloinOhio

Rapaport's story doesn't quite match the headline. He doesn't say New England ever made an offer. What he says is there was interest there and when the Bills made the offer and the Vikings were trying to create a bidding war they rang New England and offered them a chance to match. That isn't quite what you would infer from the headline. 

As for the Brady decision, maybe Diggs makes him reconsider.... my belief is he had already decided when he restructured his contract before the 2019 season to give himself the out that he was going to play the final couple of years of his career elsewhere. 

• Like (+1) 9

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Rapaport's story doesn't quite match the headline. He doesn't say New England ever made an offer. What he says is there was interest there and when the Bills made the offer and the Vikings were trying to create a bidding war they rang New England and offered them a chance to match. That isn't quite what you would infer from the headline. 

As for the Brady decision, maybe Diggs makes him reconsider.... my belief is he had already decided when he restructured his contract before the 2019 season to give himself the out that he was going to play the final couple of years of his career elsewhere. 

He says it with the "two final suitors."  If it were just a matter of calling anyone out-of-the-blue to see if they would match the Bills' offer, then it's not much of a story.  And the timing of Brady leaving the next day fits.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

He says it with the "two final suitors."  If it were just a matter of calling anyone out-of-the-blue to see if they would match the Bills' offer, then it's not much of a story.  And the timing of Brady leaving the next day fits.

The story says there was interest. I am sure the Pats were interested and not being called out of the blue. But there is nothing in that story that suggests they ever made an offer. It was Minnesota ringing them, knowing they were interested, and trying to elicit an offer that didn't come. 

As for Brady, who knows if Diggs would have changed his mind.... but I think he was pretty set on leaving. From what has been reported his agent was talking to teams informally pretty much as soon as the Patriots season was done.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He says "it was the Bills and New England Patriots as the two final suitors" which implies that NE made an offer.

The scuttlebut from many was that Brady wanted to separate from Belichick, was done with the hometown discounts, and wanted to play elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The story says there was interest. I am sure the Pats were interested and not being called out of the blue. But there is nothing in that story that suggests they ever made an offer. It was Minnesota ringing them, knowing they were interested, and trying to elicit an offer that didn't come. 

As for Brady, who knows if Diggs would have changed his mind.... but I think he was pretty set on leaving. From what has been reported his agent was talking to teams informally pretty much as soon as the Patriots season was done.

The story also said there were 2 final suitors.  There were probably 2 dozen teams (at least) who would have had interest in Diggs last year but that doesn't qualify them as "suitors."  And it's well-known that Brady was miffed at the Cheaters for the lack of weapons after taking less-than-market salary for a decade plus.  And then there was his decision to leave right after the trade fell through. 

Diggs may not have been enough to make Brady stay.  But not getting anyone worth ***** at the WR position definitely made Brady's decision a no-brainer.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gjv001 said:

Hope to see Bills vs Tampa Bay[ Brady] in Super Bowl.

I don't. Too many "stories" there.  Brady versus the Bills.  Tampa first team to play a SB in their own stadium, giving them a true advantage.