Rapaport: Patriots tried to trade for Diggs at same time as Buffalo

YoloinOhio

28 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

Were the Pats* actually trying to get Diggs, or was Belicheat just driving up the Bills cost? 

Trying to get him.  Getting him likely means Brady stays and they knew Stidham was a stiff.

And if not...who cares?  Worked out great for the Bills and terrible for them.

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Why would you want to be the only team to ever play a Super Bowl in the opponent's stadium?  Home field in the Super Bowl is a huge advantage.  

I don’t think it will matter much tbh outside of being the answer to a future trivia question. 20k total with 7500 front line workers. Almost always a ton of corporate sponsors etc at the SB. No weather factor. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think it will matter much tbh outside of being the answer to a future trivia question. 20k total with 7500 front line workers. Almost always a ton of corporate sponsors etc at the SB. No weather factor. 

It's not the number of and rabidity of the fans in the stands, it's the players situation.  The Bucs would be able to sleep at home all two weeks (with the possible exception of the night before) and not have the grind of a personal schedule that a normal Super Bowl team has.  If it's GB, they have the same travel & lodging schedule as the Bills.  Playing a Super Bowl at home is a HUGE advantage that would be difficult for any opponent to overcome.

It's not the number of and rabidity of the fans in the stands, it's the players situation.  The Bucs would be able to sleep at home all two weeks (with the possible exception of the night before) and not have the grind of a personal schedule that a normal Super Bowl team has.  If it's GB, they have the same travel & lodging schedule as the Bills.  Playing a Super Bowl at home is a HUGE advantage that would be difficult for any opponent to overcome.

The teams arent coming in until 2 days before the game this year. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Tampa is coming in 14 days before the game. 

Obviously - your point was that the teams wouldn’t be sleeping in their own beds for weeks or something. They clearly will. They have a charter flight and then play the game. It’s really not a HUGE advantage for Tampa. 

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes because he didn’t actually want him I’m sure given his stellar group of WR

Just strange that the pats were never mentioned until 10 months later. At least i don't recall them being mentioned as suitor for diggs at any time leading up to the trade.  Buffalo and a few others were. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Obviously - your point was that the teams wouldn’t be sleeping in their own beds for weeks or something. They clearly will. They have a charter flight and then play the game. It’s really not a HUGE advantage for Tampa. 

Tampa has no travel at all for 2 weeks.  Meanwhile the Bills have to be planning travel, leaving Buffalo etc.  Let's agree to disagree but my hope is GB wins and I don't have to deal with this after 6:30 today. 

8 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

Just strange that the pats were never mentioned until 10 months later. At least i don't recall them being mentioned as suitor for diggs at any time leading up to the trade.  Buffalo and a few others were. 

Rap sheet was waiting for the perfect time to rub it in? When belicheat was getting ready to watch the afc championship game from his couch. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Rap sheet was waiting for the perfect time to rub it in? When belicheat was getting ready to watch the afc championship game from his couch. 

And Brady in the NFCCG.  But hey, Belicheat might have gotten the Bills to pony-up an extra late rounder...

7 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Why even give NE* a chance to match the offer? If both were equal, would MIN have sent him to the Cheatriots?

Probably because their initial offer was left open for negotiation and spielman may have targeted  one of their players in the deal 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He says "it was the Bills and New England Patriots as the two final suitors" which implies that NE made an offer.

The scuttlebut from many was that Brady wanted to separate from Belichick, was done with the hometown discounts, and wanted to play elsewhere.

Maybe. I don't think that necessarily implies there was an offer. I think it implies that they were the team Minnesota asked to match. They were the last call before they said yes to Buffalo.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

The story also said there were 2 final suitors.  There were probably 2 dozen teams (at least) who would have had interest in Diggs last year but that doesn't qualify them as "suitors."  And it's well-known that Brady was miffed at the Cheaters for the lack of weapons after taking less-than-market salary for a decade plus.  And then there was his decision to leave right after the trade fell through. 

Diggs may not have been enough to make Brady stay.  But not getting anyone worth ***** at the WR position definitely made Brady's decision a no-brainer.

For sure Brady was pissed about his weapons. Just think it was probably a decision already made at that point. To sign with Tampa on the 17th he was in detailed conversations with them on the 16th. 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Probably because their initial offer was left open for negotiation and spielman may have targeted  one of their players in the deal 

The way I see it, the only team that should be afforded the right to match an offer is the initial team that inquired about the trade. All other teams should only be given the chance to exceed the deal offered by that initial team. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Maybe. I don't think that necessarily implies there was an offer. I think it implies that they were the team Minnesota asked to match. They were the last call before they said yes to Buffalo.

For sure Brady was pissed about his weapons. Just think it was probably a decision already made at that point. To sign with Tampa on the 17th he was in detailed conversations with them on the 16th. 

There were multiple offers as I recall hearing on Chris spielmans podcast last year.  Seeing as how the pats are almost always in the WR market (and have overpaid in the past like with Sanu) makes sense they were one of them and that the Vikes made sure to check with them before pulling the trigger.