Nick Caserio to be new GM of Texans

YoloinOhio

36 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Is Gettleman with the Giants safe?  Kind of amazed that he is.  He'd be another one who if fired may be able to get a job working for Beane.   Is funny how often in the NFL the student eventually becomes the boss of the teacher, think more so than in real life.

I wonder if they'd approach the 49rs to ask what they'd want in compensation for Lynch?  He does has a history with Elway though I think San Fran is a better situation than Denver. (excluding income tax)

Yeah they came out today and said Gettleman is safe. With Rivera in DC now, it gives us competition for former Panthers... so sad. 

I don’t think SF would do that, unless DEN wants to mortgage their future. Lynch and Shannahan have really done a great job there. 

2 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Watson is a plus for sure but the team is devoid of draft picks.  

I thought Urban wanted Pioli.  I also read he's looking for $12M per year.

Pompous Urban. When does he quit for health problems? Can get away with it in college but left some ugly wakes in Florida and Ohio State. Huge mistake by JAx if they hire him. 

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Is Gettleman with the Giants safe?  Kind of amazed that he is.  He'd be another one who if fired may be able to get a job working for Beane.   Is funny how often in the NFL the student eventually becomes the boss of the teacher, think more so than in real life.

I wonder if they'd approach the 49rs to ask what they'd want in compensation for Lynch?  He does has a history with Elway though I think San Fran is a better situation than Denver. (excluding income tax)

Whoever goes to Denver still reports to Elway. It’s likeLT someone young hungry and less known. The more experienced candidates won’t sign up for that. Also the ownership situation is a bit muddled. 

3 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

The Patriots drafts have not been good so what does he bring to the party?  Did he blame BB?

Blame BB's dog...its all his fault ;) 

BB dropped him off at a shelter right after the draft ;)

7 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Yeah, but that’s two blue chip players that you just don’t get... that’s like McD coming in here and not getting Tre and not getting Dawkins. 

Chargers are the best job, hands down. 

Top 10 players at QB, WR, DE. Good CB’s. Best safety in the league if he can get healthy. Good running back, good pieces up and down the roster to build around. 

Money to spend and the 13th pick in the draft for an OL. 

To counter that argument you are going to a division where essentially you'll be playing for the wildcard every year. It's the Chargers, their fan base in LA is awful and their owners are notorious for being difficult to work with. Hell, they fired Marty Schottenheimer after going 14-2!

And while Herbert had one of the best QB rookie seasons ever, it's still only 1 season. No idea what will happen next season with more film on him. After Bakers rookie season lots of people were foaming at the mouth with what they saw in Cleveland with young talent on defense/offense and the QB. Two years later and two coaches later, Baker isn't that same QB he was his rookie season and that defense leaves a lot to be desired. With Watson you know what you have, he's been doing it for multiple seasons. 

So I can see the counter point and what Yolo is saying. The draft picks will come back to Houston and you have a proven franchise QB locked up in a wide open division.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

They have no draft capital for a long time and you will be expected to win immediately.

Chargers right now are the best available IMO, they have the best QB and lots of pieces in place already along with draft picks.

For one year. They have 9 picks in 2022 and basically a completely empty cap in that year. The only people guaranteed any money on their 2022 cap are Deshaun Watson and $2m to Tytus Howard. And the Texans have the best QB with an opening in Watson. 100%. That said, I think that made it the most attractive GM job. What you look for in a GM job is a chance of a quick turnaround and the Texans are absolutely in position to do that within two years. It's basically where Bandon Beane stood at the start of the 2018 season... a one year bad cap situation but you can eat it all in a year and then go and rebuild your team. 

I think I probably agree the Chargers is the best HC job because they have the 2nd best Quarterback situation already (and the kid is only a rookie it is likely he isn't at his ceiling) but a significantly better roster of talent in place than Houston. You can win now with that Chargers team. The downsides of the Chargers job are you are going into a division with Patrick Mahomes, Andy Reid and the Kansas City Chiefs and the ownership there is a problem. The Spanos don't like spending money on free agents which puts an enormous pressure on Tom Telesco to draft well. 

If I was a GM I'd want to go to Houston, will be intrigued to see how Caserio does, but if I was a HC my preference would probably just be the Chargers.

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Houston has by far the best QB imo (and don’t think it is close). Draft picks replenish next year. They have all but their 4th in 2022 that they traded for cooks. Whoever goes there will get a 5 year deal anyway. 

That’s one year. Have to look beyond that. 

A good job but not the best. Jmo. 

Agree with everything but you are mistaken on the 4th pick. Houston have an EXTRA 4th in 2022 from the Cooks trade. They have 9 picks in 2022. Their usual seven, an extra 4th and an extra 7th. 

Edited by GunnerBill

8 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Yeah, but that’s two blue chip players that you just don’t get... that’s like McD coming in here and not getting Tre and not getting Dawkins. 

Chargers are the best job, hands down. 

Top 10 players at QB, WR, DE. Good CB’s. Best safety in the league if he can get healthy. Good running back, good pieces up and down the roster to build around. 

Money to spend and the 13th pick in the draft for an OL. 

The Chargers will always have money to spend. They will never spend it. Once Ralph died the title for the tightest owners in the NFL shifted to the Chargers. The Spanos are the biggest question mark I'd have about taking that job. Even more so than playing in a division with Mahomes. 

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Chargers will always have money to spend. They will never spend it. Once Ralph died the title for the tightest owners in the NFL shifted to the Chargers. The Spanos are the biggest question mark I'd have about taking that job. Even more so than playing in a division with Mahomes. 

that’s a valid point... but they have never been completely devoid of talent- they just can’t capitalize. 

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

To counter that argument you are going to a division where essentially you'll be playing for the wildcard every year. It's the Chargers, their fan base in LA is awful and their owners are notorious for being difficult to work with. Hell, they fired Marty Schottenheimer after going 14-2!

And while Herbert had one of the best QB rookie seasons ever, it's still only 1 season. No idea what will happen next season with more film on him. After Bakers rookie season lots of people were foaming at the mouth with what they saw in Cleveland with young talent on defense/offense and the QB. Two years later and two coaches later, Baker isn't that same QB he was his rookie season and that defense leaves a lot to be desired. With Watson you know what you have, he's been doing it for multiple seasons. 

So I can see the counter point and what Yolo is saying. The draft picks will come back to Houston and you have a proven franchise QB locked up in a wide open division.

I get the Chiefs angle, but I think for someone whose wired to be an NFL head coach that can actually be a good thing- You don’t have to go far to measure up to the top of the league. Set the bar at competing for the division, and if you can, you know you can compete for the SB.

As for the dysfunction, they are still a well respected org. The Texans are doubling down on their complete lunacy of the past 10 years. I wouldn’t touch that with a ten foot pole.

The Baker example is a good one, but the flip side of that is that Houston now has an unhappy franchise QB and literally nothing else. 

4 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Watson does not seem to approve 

Yas. Drama! 

Trade him to the saints. Do it!

34 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

but the flip side of that is that Houston now has an unhappy franchise QB and literally nothing else. 

Yas. Drama! 

Trade him to the saints. Do it!

The first job of the new regime is absolutely get Watson on side. The story in the summer was that the Texans started out wanting a 6 year deal and Watson would only do 4 years and he made sure it is structured in a way that he can hold out after 2022 if he wants to and his contract would be enticing to a team looking to trade for him. 

It seems to me that Watson from his comments has an issue with Easterby and his continuing influence. Should be Caserio's first call "Look Deshaun, you are dead right to be frustrated, we just wasted an incredible year from you, I am gonna commit to getting you the coach you need and the help your require." And then once they hire a coach they need to sit him down and present him with a plan. Watson is the biggest reason the Texans are attractive to people. If they had Mitch Trubisky as their Quarterback they wouldn't just have hired Caserio and they wouldn't be getting a look at the likes of Daboll and Bienemy. 

10 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Working in the NFL is like living in the Ozarks and marrying your kid cousin.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I would say Jacksonville ( picks and cap space)

or Chargers ( Great QB and a decent team.

I think the Texans are a shell of a team right now and would require some breaking down before building.

I’m not putting either Lawrence (where we have no idea what he will be) or Herbert near Watson. Herbert looked very good as a rookie but there is a lot more to becoming a franchise QB. I’m not sure he has “it”. I haven’t seen it yet. As a HC i need a a QB where I would say -* I want that guy in a foxhole with me. He has ice in his veins. He’s relentlessly competitive. He will put the team on his back* I see this in Watson. I see this in Allen. I don’t know if I see it in Herbert. Those two teams are also irrelevant, fan base and reputation, so it just depends what the HC is looking for. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1