Are the first three picks in next year’s draft all QB’s?

Neither the Jets or the Fins seem to be completely settled at QB. Then again the Jets may continue to ride with Darnold and maybe Tua just needs more time. If you are the GM of the Jets and Fins what do you do?

To me it’s a no brained for the Fins to take another QB and let the best player rise tot the top. Maybe Tua is the answer but he has not shown much in his time. The Jets situation with Bradford is less clear. He had almost no surrounding cast.

If I am Miami or jersey I’m willing to trade down. I don’t think Darnold is the answer there as he needs a fresh start, but his value is next to nothing. 
Terrible season. Gonna be lots of quarterbacks on the market. They gonna trade him for a 5th or less or just cut him? Then you’re gonna send a rookie out with that squad and a new coach? Sounds Jetsy. 
Same for Miami, Tua might not be it, but they are gonna start terrible drama taking a quarterback at 3. 

17 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Neither the Jets or the Fins seem to be completely settled at QB. Then again the Jets may continue to ride with Bradford and maybe Tua just needs more time. If you are the GM of the Jets and Fins what do you do?

To me it’s a no brained for the Fins to take another QB and let the best player rise tot the top. Maybe Tua is the answer but he has not shown much in his time. The Jets situation with Bradford is less clear. He had almost no surrounding cast.

I think it will be one and 2, and then a WR or the OT at 3.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not sold on anyone after Trevor Lawrence.  He might be overhyped, but he still has a tremendously high ceiling.

Fields definitely exceeded expectations against Clemson, but then I remember his outdoor games in the B1G this year and he was wildly meh.  

Wilson is boom or bust, and I have no clue what to make of him.  

Jets and Dolphins at 2/3... I have no clue what the Jets will do.  Dolphins don't seem willing to pull a Arizona/Rosen with Tua, so if I had to guess, they'll go Sewell, Chase or Smith. 

The Jets would be foolish not to take a QB.  I know right now many are thinking trade-down, but QBs usually rise up the board and my guess is that on draft day the Jets stay at #2 and take Fields or Wilson.

It's easy for me to say, but I'm firmly of the opinion that Miami should also draft a QB and it isn't close.  Tua deserves to be cut a little slack because he's a rookie coming off major surgery with no offseason, but that doesn't change the fact that he simply doesn't have an NFL-caliber arm.  It's not that he isn't Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes -- most guys aren't.  It's that he has a Chad Pennington arm with Trent Edwards decision making.  That's not going to change.  The Dolphins won't have another top-5 pick for a long time.  A good front office would acknowledge that they made a mistake with Tua and take this golden opportunity to make a course correction.  Of course, I'd strongly prefer that they stick with Tua and enjoy the taste of perpetual 8-8 seasons.  

It will be interesting to see.  

-  The Jaguars are almost 100% likely to take Trevor Lawrence at #1, and I would not expect them to trade out.

-  The Jets will certainly look hard at taking a QB, but Sam Darnold has shown some promise.  Unless the new staff is completely sold on Justin Fields or Zach Wilson, it's possible they try to give Darnold one more chance and surround him with some weapons.  They are possible to take a QB, possible to take something else, and possible to trade down.

-  I don't expect the Dolphins to replace Tua this soon.  This regime thought highly enough to draft him #5 overall, and he's got a winning record under center as a rookie.  But don't be surprised if they trade out.

If the Jets/Dolphins decide to stick with what they've got, there are all kinds of possibilities for trading into the Top 3.

The Panthers are a big possibility sitting at #8.  But don't rule out the Falcons or the Lions, who may be ready to move on from Matt Ryan/Matthew Stafford.  If any of the top quarterbacks drop, you could also see the 49ers or Patriots sneak into the Top 10.

I haven't watched any really of the guys not name Lawrence or Fields yet, so I need to go do that. Will make a start next week as I am off work and we are likely going to be in another national lockdown. But certainly in terms of need - yes. I feel like most of the top 15 teams in the draft could look at taking a Quarterback. 

1 - Jacksonville - will take Lawrence

2 - Jets - could go Quarterback

3 - Dolphins - could go Quarterback

4 - Falcons - new GM, new HC, awful cap, total reset likely and could pick a QB even if they want that guy to sit behind Ryan for a year

5 - Bengals - NO

6 - Eagles - could go Quarterback

7 - Lions - similar to Falcons at #4.... think they are less likely to go QB but is possible

8 - Carolina - should go Quarterback though not convinced they will

9 - Broncos - could go Quarterback though think more likely they give Lock another year

10 - Cowboys - they should re-sign Dak Prescott. He is the best player on their football team. But they should have done it two years ago and they haven't yet...

11 - Giants - unlikely think they give Jones another year

12 - 49ers - think they are very much in on a Quarterback

13 - Chargers - NO

14 - Vikings - see Lions and Falcons, could go QB with the idea of sitting a guy behind Cousins for a year. 

15 - Patriots - could well go Quarterback and could even move up to do so. 

33 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Neither the Jets or the Fins seem to be completely settled at QB. Then again the Jets may continue to ride with Bradford and maybe Tua just needs more time. If you are the GM of the Jets and Fins what do you do?

I stopped reading at “Bradford”

I don’t think the top 3 picks are QBs and I am not convinced we even know which team will be making the picks.

Lawerence goes #1, but I am not sure what the Jets do at 2.  I think they would like move down for a nice haul of picks, but I don’t see a team sitting 3-6 with the need and capital to make a worthwhile trade.  Therefore; I expect the Jets to be almost forced to take a QB at 2.  It might not be ideal, but seems the likely course of action.

Miami at 3 is not moving on from Tua yet - just no way a team rebuilding showing all kinds of patience - shoots themselves in the foot by moving on that quickly.  I expect the also would like to move down and get more picks and maybe a player or 2.  I expect OLine here, maybe a WR, but would not be shocked if this is a trade to someone like Cincinnati- where Cincinnati gets o-line and the Dolphins get a pick and a player.

5 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

It will be interesting to see.  

-  The Jaguars are almost 100% likely to take Trevor Lawrence at #1, and I would not expect them to trade out.

-  The Jets will certainly look hard at taking a QB, but Sam Darnold has shown some promise.  Unless the new staff is completely sold on Justin Fields or Zach Wilson, it's possible they try to give Darnold one more chance and surround him with some weapons.  They are possible to take a QB, possible to take something else, and possible to trade down.

-  I don't expect the Dolphins to replace Tua this soon.  This regime thought highly enough to draft him #5 overall, and he's got a winning record under center as a rookie.  But don't be surprised if they trade out.

If the Jets/Dolphins decide to stick with what they've got, there are all kinds of possibilities for trading into the Top 3.

The Panthers are a big possibility sitting at #8.  But don't rule out the Falcons or the Lions, who may be ready to move on from Matt Ryan/Matthew Stafford.  If any of the top quarterbacks drop, you could also see the 49ers or Patriots sneak into the Top 10.

Jets - depends on what the ownership thinks of Darnold. If their questionnaire for prospective HCs includes "can you fix Darnold?" then they may give him another year. It is likely they will pick high in 2022 also and hence, they are not pressed to make a decision on Darnold. Though a new HC may say "Darnold is more valuable in a trade so lets get some good picks for him and then go get Fields

Dolphins have the toughest decision to make. They could give Tua an offseason to fix his mechanics and also get another vet QB to cover the low side. But the problem for them is that, given how they played this season till game 15, they wont have a top 5 pick again in 2022.