Run D

dbfla10

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Being jerked around with scheduling all week.

Josh injured and in a shoulder brace.

Bad turnovers right out of the gate.

No Tre White.

The rematch wont be like the first game at all.

We were still in it on the last play when John Brown got out-muscled for a ball. That wont happen this year with Diggs and Davis.

Agreed.  And the throw from Josh will be much more better than the one last time to Brown.

6 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I wonder if Edmunds is really the problem. Edmunds was playing good football when Milano was out and Klein filled in. It looks to me that Milano is either getting washed out by linemen or over running his gap at times. 

When Klein was in he was making more of the downhill LOS tackles.

Milano was huge last night. 

Not questioning Edmund's heart, he played thru injury, just the instincts. It like we have a 6'5" 250lb nickle out there and he covers a lot of field for us, just don't ask him to shed a block, hit a gap, and tackle a player for a loss.

Just look at TFL stats. Edmunds, who rarely comes off the field has 3 total this year.

Milano, due to injury, missed games, or game plan, only has three games where he took over 80% of the snaps. Rams, Raiders, and NE last night and he has racked up 4.

It's a missing aspect of that big kid's game.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think hard running and play action teams like Tennessee and Cleveland are tougher match ups for Buffalo than some of the other possible opponents, sure. 

But worried about run D? In 2020? Nope. A team beating us by running has to play almost the perfect game in 2020. The Giants didn't just run in that Superbowl... they manhandled the Bills receivers in a way that would produce a flag fest in 2020.

Listen if a team can run for 150, suck up 40 minutes of time of possession, play a perfect bend not break defense that forces Buffalo to kick field goals on their drives, shorten the game and squeak out a win they will deserve to beat us and that is the NFL the talent gap is close enough that a "good" team playing a perfect game can beat a better team. But I am not going to sit here worrying about it. 

At the moment I am not worried about us playing anyone.

Good take. What you describe is what it will take to beat the Bills. If the Bills don’t settle for FGs, get a turnover or two, and don’t get completely manhandled at the LOS they should win against anyone 

The Patriots and Denver had a few nice chunk yardage plays on the ground but it wasn’t the sort of consistent 5-10 yard runs that continued to move the chains or leave Them in manageable third down situations. 

The run defense was fine and the pass defense was top notch.  The defense is playing really good complimentary football with the offense.

On 12/29/2020 at 5:09 PM, Steptide said:

If our run defense is soooo bad, why don't teams just run all game on us? Ya kc did it, but that's really it, and that was how long ago? If anything, the bills run d has greatly improved. Sure, they give up some yards, but they adjust pretty quick and shut it down. The bills get a lead so fast, it forces teams to have to throw. If a team wants to shut down the bills, the need to shut down the pass, which so far, teams haven't been able to do

No need for exaggeration when we are looking at match ups. The thread was looking at teams that would cause us issues and our biggest defensive issue is rush defense. This is just a known thing. We are 28th overall for the year in yards/attempt. That ain't great, and just because we win because we can leap out in front of teams and they have to pretty much give up on running the ball, does not mean that the defensive gap is not there.

As you point out, teams really can't run all over us unless they can:

1. Consistently run. Run in spurts on us is one thing, consistently churn out first downs running on us is a taller order.
  2. Keep pace with or slow down Allen and our offence. KC did it, and the Titans to a degree as they also had a lot of success attacking with passes across the middle where we were hurting at LB.

That is the only reason why I singled out those two AFC teams as (IMO) the toughest opponents matchup-wise for this team. I still like our odds, but they present the biggest challenges.

On 12/29/2020 at 2:56 PM, dma0034 said:

Everyone who says they aren't worried should be. This is the only way a team will beat the Bills. The Bills can overcome any good rushing team if they score early and often so they have to abaddon the run. That said if the Ravens, Titans or Browns get a lead and the Bills can't get them off the field then it will slow the game down. Teams are going to have to go SB 25 Giants against the Bills to stop them. It's honestly the only way they lose imo. It's why I want the Bills to play the Dolphins or Colts in the 1st round then the Steelers than the Chiefs. I still think the Bills could pull it out versus one of those 3 teams though. Guess we'll all see

If we wanted to use resources to stop the run we would. We use those resources to stop the pass. Key point to understand.

If they want to run go ahead...they aren't going to be able to score enough to keep up. Eventually they will have to start throwing.

Edited by Big Turk

23 hours ago, thronethinker said:

Last team to run the ball all over us was KC and the D was beat up at that time. The Team has adjusted. 

A bit early to know what that game would look like.

I have less faith in our defense consistently stopping the run than I do in Allen and the offense being able to score and pressure those teams better in a rematch.

If folks recall the Titans were the first team to really slow down our offense that started getting red-hot. They threw away the cover-0 pressure packages prior teams were using and Allen and Daboll were feasting off of and went 4-man rush (a few 5) and 2-3 deep zone looks. Allen pressed, did not know where to go with the ball, and had one of his lower QBR outings.

In a copy-cat league Allen was force-fed zone defenses of every variety every game after that and he also saw zone/man with robber concepts against the Cards. What did he do?

He got better. He recognizes the zone looks, where the soft spots are, and he and Daboll have been putting on a clinic since.

I don't see teams that had success against him AND our defense (KC and Titans), having the same success against our offense in a rematch.

Edited by WideNine

On 12/29/2020 at 10:49 AM, dbfla10 said:

Any one else worried that a team like Baltimore or the Browns will just run all over the Bills D and keep the ball out of Allens hands. Much like what Parcells did in super bowl 25?

Mcdermott is pretty good at making teams win left handed.  Last year Baltimore was much hotter and the defense handled there offense.  This year Buffalo matches up much better vs their defense.  Cleveland has a rough secondary and I think Buffalo takes advatage of them.  

On 12/29/2020 at 2:56 PM, dma0034 said:

It's why I want the Bills to play the Dolphins or Colts in the 1st round then the Steelers than the Chiefs.

More likely than not we'll have to beat Baltimore or Tennessee on our way to the Super Bowl. The ideal scenario is they play each other on wildcard weekend and then the winner plays KC in the divisional round. But we'll probably have to beat at least one of them plus the Chiefs to get to the Super Bowl.