Changed my mind - Bring back Milano and let Edmunds walk

55 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

what? 

First off, we have Edmunds on a rookie deal for another year, plus the fifth year option. Cutting Edmunds in no way helps free up the money to keep Milano.

Second, are you high? Edmunds started slow but has really come along. I don't know what the hell the OP is seeing

Never said cut Edmunds.

I said I changed my mind and they should bring back Milano. They can let Edmunds walk after year 4 or if the pick up option year 5. That assumes he doesn't get any better.

And he has not come along at all. He is playing as poorly as he did at the beginning of the year just not as bad as the first few games after the injury. 

4 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Nick Chubb is first team pro bowl with Derrick Henry as a reserve - despite Chubb having 700 fewer yards. It means the pro bowl is a BS measure. Tremaine is terrible against any sophisticated running attack. When the Pats first ran, he was abysmal. It was only after they had to pass it got better. 

lol....

• Haha (+1) 1

This thread was started by someone without any understanding of what a MLB does different than a OLB. It is like comparing DE to DT players. Edmunds has a much harder job and is much more important that Milano. Milano is very good at what he does but he is replaceable by many more players. I hope we can keep both but unless cost is extremely different you keep Edmunds.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Never said cut Edmunds.

I said I changed my mind and they should bring back Milano. They can let Edmunds walk after year 4 or if the pick up option year 5. That assumes he doesn't get any better.

And he has not come along at all. He is playing as poorly as he did at the beginning of the year just not as bad as the first few games after the injury. 

Yup. That's what you said.

But don't feel bad. People say stupid things all the time. It's a human thing.

Edited by Thurman#1

“The lasting image of this game was that of Tremaine Edmunds getting pushed back by guard Joe Thuney for a 21-yard run by the Patriots. The game certainly wasn’t Edmunds’ best of the season because of that play and some others, but the linebacker continues to be a strength in the Bills’ zone coverage, even when he’s not making flashy pass breakups. The influence he had on a third-and-13 attempt shows how his subtle movements can help the Bills force offenses off the field.”

Weird... he’s not a great run defender which I think everyone agrees on... but that’s not where his value is derived and what his role is. Good thing the average NFL team passes the ball 60% of the time.

Find me another middle linebacker with his length that can fill his role on defense and then we can talk. I’m sure it’s just a coincidence the defense started playing better when Tremaine got healthy.

6B24CB9A-D6D2-48BA-B120-34CC864DD161.thumb.jpeg.bdd3dd63fedf480142bd04c1f4653d7b.jpeg

It’s not that hard to look at this image and understand what sets Edmunds apart and what they’re utilizing his skill set for.

Edited by JGMcD2

Ethan, I value Milano more than a number of people, here, and to dismiss his role in the defense that is easily replaceable by a guy is silly.  It also speaks to a person’s knowledge of football.  Then again, Edmunds does a lot right and the MLB vs. WLB are two completely different roles.  These two compliment each other when both healthy.  

Besides given they play mostly nickel defense, their roles are slightly different than a traditional MLB, and WLB.

The pressing decision is not Edmunds as we have another two years and the cap will be much stronger by tha time.  Milano is more pressing so we’ll see.  Only because of the expected lower cap, and Milano knows he has a much better chance at a better second contract if he takes a one year deal.  He also hopefully will bet on himself showing a healthy year in 2021.

On 12/29/2020 at 1:19 AM, BuffaloRebound said:

Edmunds has zero playmaking ability or instincts. He’s a highly athletic robot out there.  Not sure you can teach him how to anticipate or make a play on the ball.  He should play lots of pickup hoops in the offseason. Not sure how else to teach a guy anticipation and ball skills.  

I wonder if Ray Lewis does any off season player development?  I was watching him recently dissect plays from the MLB point of view.  He struck me as someone who could be a very good coach.  Jordan Palmer works with Allen, maybe Edmunds needs a similar guru.  

Happy New Year to all!!  Let me preface this by (apologizing for the long post) and saying I was SO pumped when we traded up to grab Edmunds, I’m still really pulling for the guy.  He’s still young, super athletic and has skills you can’t teach. I’d hate to see him in another uniform playing the way we’d hoped.

However, I don’t know if I’m articulating this right, but it’s like he’s a much (and I mean much) higher functioning Knox (in terms of flashes and then flat out broken expectations) at an integral position on our defense.  Sometimes he just seems not to “see” the field like the cornerstone to our defense needs to (takes bad angles, misses tackles and the many other weekly mistakes pointed out by others on TBD).  Just seems to be missing something that elite LBs have developed after having his amount of snaps.  BUT I’m merely a novice and regardless I am really pulling for him, I want him to be “that guy”.

LOVE Milano because he’s been such a wonderful surprise being picked where he was (5th rd)—flip side to Edmunds with his expectations and draft profile pedigree.  When healthy, Milano is always around the ball, gives his all and is just fun to watch—he’s not perfect for sure but he wasn’t expected to be the player he is and will expect compensation as such).  BUT the injuries scare the ***** out of me.  Which means investing a lot of $$ in him scares the ***** out of me.  Losing him would be like losing Kiko (which turned out well for other reasons beyond his control).

Haven’t done my due diligence on the draft and I’m not a college fan (let alone ND)—Rutgers guy 🙈, Jersey Boy, but I’ve read a lot of good things about Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah—“Swiss army knife tag”, versatile, all things or FO likes: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/notre-dame-lb-jeremiah-owusu-koramoah-next-great-hybrid-defender/

Looks like we’d have to make a move to bump up a bit but from what little I’ve read and how he’ll probably perform at the combine but seems like Milano will command $10 million—and a rookie deal for a legit replacement would free up money for Williams at RT and Josh’s protection is much more important to me.  

Edited by biggerdaddynj

On 12/29/2020 at 1:07 AM, Bferra13 said:

Only thing your missing is the injuries with Milano. Hes very good. Its a very tough call though and good analysis.

It’s not a tough call and it’s not good analysis. Edmunds is 22 years old and a 2x pro bowler. He consistently makes plays, his teammates rave about his leadership on and off the field, he plays hurt and he is only going to keep getting better. 
does he miss a few plays every game? Yep. 
Let him go so he can become a perennial all-pro for the Pats or some other future opponent? Asinine! 

every year NFL front offices have to make hard decisions. 
Bringing both Edmunds AND Milano back is not one of those decisions. 

• Like (+1) 2

Edmunds is more important and better player then Milano. 

it is no coincidence that the defense started getting better once Edmunds got healthy. 

Milano if he wants to sign around 8-9 AAV then fine. I am not paying a WLB (easiest position to find on defense) more than that 

• Like (+1) 1

Time to identify you core positions. Those are the ones you pay. QB, Elite WR, OTs and then up the middle on defense meaning (DTs, MLB, Safety and one CB). The rest have to be role players or on rookie deals. That is what Bills will manage once they Pay Josh. 

• Like (+1) 1

McBeane absolutely love Edmunds. He’s not going anywhere for a decade. Many members here are still having trouble adjusting to the role a MLB plays in McD’s defense. His primary purpose is to get them lined up correctly and protect the middle zones in pass defense. Edmunds is superior in this respect. He absolutely needs to improve his run stopping and gap filling but McD is willing to give up those yards on the ground to protect the zones. If Edmunds didn’t have stone hands and just caught the balls that hit him in the chest we wouldn’t even be discussing his run defense deficiency. I hope he got a JUGS machine for Christmas.

It’ll never happen, but I’d trade Edmunds to somebody like Pete Carroll after next year.  Given his age and pro bowls/pedigree, I’m guessing Edmunds is gonna be crazy expensive to re-sign.  Get another relatively cheap year out of him next year, exercise his 5th year option then trade him before you gotta pay him Bobby Wagner money.  Unless he learns how to catch a pass thrown right at him or how to anticipate and hit a hole in the next 2 years, he’s gonna command way more money than his actual play warrants.  

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

It’ll never happen, but I’d trade Edmunds to somebody like Pete Carroll after next year.  Given his age and pro bowls/pedigree, I’m guessing Edmunds is gonna be crazy expensive to re-sign.  Get another relatively cheap year out of him next year, exercise his 5th year option then trade him before you gotta pay him Bobby Wagner money.  Unless he learns how to catch a pass thrown right at him or how to anticipate and hit a hole in the next 2 years, he’s gonna command way more money than his actual play warrants.  

This is where I am. Sinking cap busting coin on a guy who excels at 60% of the job is tough to take. For the money he will command there should be a history of game changing plays and there just isn't. I'd like to keep him to see if he improves but at what cost? Right now I am just hoping we don't see the Titans in the playoffs.  

1 hour ago, RunTheBall said:

McBeane absolutely love Edmunds. He’s not going anywhere for a decade. Many members here are still having trouble adjusting to the role a MLB plays in McD’s defense. His primary purpose is to get them lined up correctly and protect the middle zones in pass defense. Edmunds is superior in this respect. He absolutely needs to improve his run stopping and gap filling but McD is willing to give up those yards on the ground to protect the zones. If Edmunds didn’t have stone hands and just caught the balls that hit him in the chest we wouldn’t even be discussing his run defense deficiency. I hope he got a JUGS machine for Christmas.

If that is all you ask of a MLB then you don't need to pay him 10 or 15 million a year. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Time to identify you core positions. Those are the ones you pay. QB, Elite WR, OTs and then up the middle on defense meaning (DTs, MLB, Safety and one CB). The rest have to be role players or on rookie deals. That is what Bills will manage once they Pay Josh. 

Funny the Bills are about to win 13 games doing almost the exact opposite of what you are suggesting. They have a QB, MLB, top two CBs( yes White was extended but still on rookie deal this year) and a couple DTs on rookie deals. They do have a lot of money invested in the WR spot. The highest paid linemen is the center.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Funny the Bills are about to win 13 games doing almost the exact opposite of what you are suggesting. They have a QB, MLB, top two CBs( yes White was extended but still on rookie deal this year) and a couple DTs on rookie deals. They do have a lot of money invested in the WR spot. The highest paid linemen is the center.  

Yep but QB on a Rookie Deal. Once Allen gets his 35+M a year things will change. 

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yep but QB on a Rookie Deal. Once Allen gets his 35+M a year things will change. 

Exaclty and if they pay Edmunds top 3 MLB money to line up the defense and drop into zone and make virtually no jmpact plays all year then they are crazy

Hopefully I am wrong and he fulfills his potential next year. Having a great MLB that is only 23 for another 4 or 5 years beyond 2021 would set them up for consistent success. 

• Like (+1) 2