CBS: Bills QB Situation "Mild Intrigue"

Rubes

59 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The one thing Allen needs to show is he's not another one year wonder like Wentz.  He comes out next year again playing like he is now, think all the questions goes away. Same with Jackson except opposite, he went from MVP to playing well, but is he nothing more than a running QB with so-so arm.  Last season he got away with it.

Wentz never really put in the work like Allen has to fix his mechanics and keep them fixed. His mechanics this year are some of the worst you will ever see. From all accounts he is a bad locker room guy and not a leader at all. His teammates don't care for his leadership ability.

He is nothing like Allen. And truth be told it said a lot that Foles came in and played better than he did when he got hurt. Do you think Barkley would come in and play better than Allen?? Not a chance in the bloody pit of Hades.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

The only reason the Ravens, Bills and Browns are on there is because their qbs have contracts coming up

If they don’t sign Allen to an extension now the front office will be run out of Buffalo 

3 hours ago, Rubes said:

Every NFL team's 2021 QB situation: Nine are in good shape, two could get ugly and everyone in between

LaCanfora: Nine teams are in good QB shape...and the Bills aren't one of them?

He lists the Bills in the category of "Mild Intrigue", along with the Bengals, Ravens, Browns, Cowboys, Jets, Raiders, Rams, Panthers, Bucs, Vikings, and Broncos. Wow.

I mean, I'm not one to cry "OUTRAGE" every time a sports writer says something questionable, but seriously: Allen is legitimately in the running for MVP this season and has made incredible strides, and with all that he's done, he still really thinks Allen and the Bills belong in the category he describes as:

:huh:?

So he’s saying that the Bills will trade Allen for a bunch of draft picks and then hope to hit in the draft on topping their best qb in 25 years I see 🙄

11 hours ago, Rubes said:

Every NFL team's 2021 QB situation: Nine are in good shape, two could get ugly and everyone in between

He lists the Bills in the category of "Mild Intrigue", along with the Bengals, Ravens, Browns, Cowboys, Jets, Raiders, Rams, Panthers, Bucs, Vikings, and Broncos. Wow

I think he put the Bills here because they have not locked JA up on a long-term deal yet. While it seems unlikely to us as fans, there is some possibility that the Bills may not be able to secure JA to a deal. The only other explanation is that you would have to look at this season as some sort of one-hit wonder for JA. Not to bring up a bad memory but we all remember that the Fitzmagic “magic” mysteriously ran out when he signed a big contract with the Bills. (Not ripping on the Amish rifle here just using the illustration). Again, the scenarios are probably worth the moniker of “mild intrigue.”  

The Ravens and the Bills will lock up their QB, likely after they pick up the 5th year options. It's the same thing we did with Tre. I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns pick up Mayfield's 5th year option and then wait to see how he does next year before handing out a new contract in his 5th year, and that's if he continues his current trajectory. The Jets will not be picking up Darnold's 5th year and what they do with that #2 pick will decide whether he even finishes out his 1st contract in NY. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I think he put the Bills here because they have not locked JA up on a long-term deal yet. While it seems unlikely to us as fans, there is some possibility that the Bills may not be able to secure JA to a deal. The only other explanation is that you would have to look at this season as some sort of one-hit wonder for JA. Not to bring up a bad memory but we all remember that the Fitzmagic “magic” mysteriously ran out when he signed a big contract with the Bills. (Not ripping on the Amish rifle here just using the illustration). Again, the scenarios are probably worth the moniker of “mild intrigue.”  

I wonder who his agent is.  Never know.  The wrong agent could try to get him to go to a big media market where the non football $$ is big.  Just sayin.  Seems that JA is not the kind to let the agent tell him what is good for him, but the kid is what, 24, 25 and knows nothing of how the business of the NFL works.  Which agent was it who pulled a big name out of WNY a few years ago?? can't remember

11 hours ago, Rubes said:

He lists the Bills in the category of "Mild Intrigue", along with the Bengals, Ravens, Browns, Cowboys, Jets, Raiders, Rams, Panthers, Bucs, Vikings, and Broncos. Wow.

I mean, I'm not one to cry "OUTRAGE" every time a sports writer says something questionable, but seriously: Allen is legitimately in the running for MVP this season and has made incredible strides, and with all that he's done, he still really thinks Allen and the Bills belong in the category he describes as:

Barkley, Fromm and Davis Webb to challenge Josh for the starters gig in 2021 ;)

Lacongecture to the rescue again ;)

Maybe he needs to walk down the hall and talk with Adam Schien ;)

Edited by JMF2006
Adam with an M

When I read this article, I checked to see when it was written - it was done recently.  How can anybody at this point in the season question that the Bills, Browns, and Ravens will NOT give their starters extensions????     Back in October, when Allen was injured, maybe you could say that maybe the Bills might have a difficult decision.   Back in November when Mayfield seemed to be up and down, maybe you could see the Browns wondering.  A few weeks ago, Jackson was struggling and there were some concerns about him.  In late December, there's no doubt about any of these young QBs are their teams' futures.   The only question about any of these three is how much they'll get. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

They could just 5th year him and save bundle then work on a long term but they won't.

I bet within a month of the season ending a long term (4 years or more) deal gets done.

I say 4 because that would take him to 28 yrs old and if he is winning and lighting it up he just might break the bank on that next one. 

I also  think a 10 year deal would be more team friendly  and something Josh would like as well

It appears he wants to be the Bills QB for life from everything he says.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Seriously I thought that too. The intrigue of who the Bills will have at backup.

BU? who needs a BU QB?

We have The Real Superman playing for us ;)

Seperated left shoulder? Tape her up and trot out for the second half without missing a play.

Joey Bosa tries to tear your lower leg off and you get a knee and ankle injury...no prob ..miss one play and get back out there to finish them off.

This young man is ultra tough mentally and physically :)

Edited by JMF2006
knee

14 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

BU? who needs a BU QB?

We have The Real Superman playing for us ;)

Seperated left shoulder? Tape her up and trot out for the second half without missing a play.

Joey Bosa tries to tear your lower leg off and you get a knee and ankle injury...no prob ..miss one play and get back out there to finish them off.

This young man is ultra tough mentally and physically :)

You need someone reliable to take those final snaps when you're running out the clock. :lol:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The intrigue has to be with the Jets. They’re in a really interesting position. Of the teams that selected QBs that year they’re in the BEST position to re-sign their guy (Darnold) to a contract that won’t hamstring their salary cap status. It’s a tough one whether they roll the dice and bet that he’ll figure it out or move on and start over. 

11 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Yeah, the lack of a contract doesn't matter.  It doesn't present any "intrigue" because it's actually very simple in that if the Bills fumble resigning Josh they will have zero fans left nor any players who would ever willingly play here again.

With Russ Brandon's evil presence totally removed from the Bills organization, the Bills are not going to fumble getting Allen secured long term.   Since Brandon was fired in the spring of 2018, the Bills have been  judiciously re-signing their best players, most notably Tre White, but also Dion Dawkins, Matt Milano, etc. 

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

But Lamar has limitations that have caught up to him this season.  I mean the next pass he throws outside the numbers might be his first. Their offense is limited to using 3/4 of the field because Lamar doesn't have the arm strength to throw deep outs from the opposite hash.

Is it Jackson that's limited or his OC, Bill Roman? 

37 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Allen's body of work is significantly larger and immensely more impressive than Fitzpatrick's, Wentz's or Goff's when they got extensions.  Allen has not only improved significantly from one season to the next in each of his three years, but he's also gotten better over the course of each of his three seasons.   He never has had anything resembling a "slump" that lasted more than a couple of games, and those might very well have been the result of injuries.   Moreover,  he's clearly mastered the mental part of the NFL QBing, especially making good decisions.    Extending Allen is a total no-brainer; the Bills aren't finding anybody better any time in the foreseeable future.

Question, since Cam is on a one-year contract and he and McBeane have a history, would he be a potential backup for Josh, similar skill set and size, Josh is likely a better football mind than Cam....

Edited by BearNorth

34 minutes ago, SoTier said:

With Russ Brandon's evil presence totally removed from the Bills organization, the Bills are not going to fumble getting Allen secured long term.   Since Brandon was fired in the spring of 2018, the Bills have been  judiciously re-signing their best players, most notably Tre White, but also Dion Dawkins, Matt Milano, etc. 

Is it Jackson that's limited or his OC, Bill Roman? 

Allen's body of work is significantly larger and immensely more impressive than Fitzpatrick's, Wentz's or Goff's when they got extensions.  Allen has not only improved significantly from one season to the next in each of his three years, but he's also gotten better over the course of each of his three seasons.   He never has had anything resembling a "slump" that lasted more than a couple of games, and those might very well have been the result of injuries.   Moreover,  he's clearly mastered the mental part of the NFL QBing, especially making good decisions.    Extending Allen is a total no-brainer; the Bills aren't finding anybody better any time in the foreseeable future.

If he could do it, he would do it.  Why would you limit yourself in that way?  And it's Greg Roman.