My biggest issue with the demise of the Patriots dynasty when it comes to the media

streetkings01

They downplay the loss of Tom Brady.  They talk about the Patriots as if Brady was never there.  Watching GMF now and they have Scott Pioli there......he thinks the players opting out is what held them back this season and feels that a good draft and getting those players back will help the Patriots make another Super Bowl run.  After watching the Pats this season it's clear that Brady the bigger part of their success.  Not once have I seen someone in the media admit that the loss of Brady was huge for the Pats instead they seem to have felt the Pats were going to continue the Patriot way regardless if #12 was there.  I'm thinking it'll take next year when they go 9-7 at best before it really starts to sink in.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, streetkings01 said:

They downplay the loss of Tom Brady.  They talk about the Patriots as if Brady was never there.  Watching GMF now and they have Scott Pioli there......he thinks the players opting out is what held them back this season and feels that a good draft and getting those players back will help the Patriots make another Super Bowl run.  After watching the Pats this season it's clear that Brady the bigger part of their success.  Not once have I seen someone in the media admit that the loss of Brady was huge for the Pats instead they seem to have felt the Pats were going to continue the Patriot way regardless if #12 was there.  I'm thinking it'll take next year when they go 9-7 at best before it really starts to sink in.

They do this so they dont have to say Belichick has a worse win percentage without Brady than Rex Ryan does.

• Like (+1) 3

If White and Edmunds had opted out and Diggs was lost for the season, do you think the Bills would have won the division with two games to play?

Belichick’s record is mostly the product of Brady. I’ve posted that many times before. But to be fair, the Patriots were hurt as much as anyone by opt outs and injury. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

Patriots are old, have the worst skill position players in the NFL, and are not making runs anywhere except to the local 7-11 and the bathroom anytime soon.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

If White and Edmunds had opted out and Diggs was lost for the season, do you think the Bills would have won the division with two games to play?

Belichick’s record is mostly the product of Brady. I’ve posted that many times before. But to be fair, the Patriots were hurt as much as anyone by opt outs and injury. 

Except it wasn't a player even close to White's caliber; it was cokehead Eugene Chung.  They only lost Hightower, and defense hasn't been their problem.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

Guess those players wanted a free year off from Belichick.

• Haha (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Patriots are old, have the worst skill position players in the NFL, and are not making runs anywhere except to the local 7-11 and the bathroom anytime soon.

Change local 7-11 to Dunkin Donuts and you got it right.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

For being regarding as a grand chess master of football Belichick never had good plan in place to acquire Brady's successor through the draft of free agency.  The Cam Newton signing felt more like a desperation move rather than some part of a plan.  Cam played well but his productivity plummeted as the season progressed.  Brady left for Tampa where the team was accommodating his contract demands and the need to surround him with viable weapons at the skill positions.  Along with what looks like a lot more input into the offense than Belichick would ever agree to.  Not that Arians seems happy with this arrangement either but he's going with it.  At the end of the day the Patriots have the same problem this year the Bills had until Allen was drafted and developed.  No good option at QB.    

28 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

How is this even close to comparable?

First off, NE can't draft WR's and when they tried to trade for one, Belichick sent a 2nd out the door for Sanu.  No more discounts for upper echelon WR's coming to NE without Brady.

Second, yes, they lost some players on defense, but we also lost Star and DB depth, while playing half the season with no linebackers.

Someone said it perfectly last night before MNF.... The Pats are just another team now.  They are searching for a QB, like everyone else.  They have some good players and weak areas, like everyone else...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, DeltaDigital said:

Cam Newton is horrific. That's the only reason they suck. Much like buffalo during the drought. NO QB = Perpetual 7-9. I hope they choke on it. 

Naw. That entire roster is trash. Pats got nothing to build on.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

How is this even close to comparable?

First off, NE can't draft WR's and when they tried to trade for one, Belichick sent a 2nd out the door for Sanu.  No more discounts for upper echelon WR's coming to NE without Brady.

Second, yes, they lost some players on defense, but we also lost Star and DB depth, while playing half the season with no linebackers.

Someone said it perfectly last night before MNF.... The Pats are just another team now.  They are searching for a QB, like everyone else.  They have some good players and weak areas, like everyone else...

Without Brady they are just another team. No argument there. But missing 2 of their top 3 players on defense and their best WR has something to do with their current record too.

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Naw. That entire roster is trash. Pats got nothing to build on.

I wouldn't say their entire roster is trash.  Belicheat can cobble-together a good defense, which minimized the opt-outs they had there.  But their offense is trash and you can't just be a power-running team.  They may have a lot of cap room, but they'll have to spend most of it just trying to get FAs, and even then it won't be easy given the lack of a QB.

They know the Pats cheat. They know that, because of the pandemic, they couldnt cheat this year. They know that next year they will be able to cheat again. So they are plenty comfortable in starting the predictions for their return to the elite. Belichick knew it too obviously. That's why he was so willing to write the season off even before it started 

Edited by pigpen65
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

I mean...a full team and say...Stafford next season. Find some sort of talent at the WR position. 

They will be in the wildcard race next season.

Have you ever watched a Lions game?

I watched plenty over the years and Stafford is the king of garbage time.

When the games on the line he can't get it done then they get down two scores and then  he lights it up.

• Like (+1) 2