The “Trap Game” Is A Myth!

eball

1 hour ago, eball said:

It seems we have to address this every season, but there is NO data to back up the trap game or letdown game myth.  Bottom line — there is no evidence that good teams beat bad teams at a higher or lower rate when they play a good team the week before or the week after that game.

This is an old article but it tells the story.

Stop the madness.

A trap game doesn't have to be lost for it to be a trap game. To me the phrase just means a game that a team could be guilty of overlooking. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It exists in the betting world.

One of my best friends, whom I’ve known for 20 years now, is a professionally sports bettor.  That’s all he does to make his money.  We exchange texts daily regarding lines that we like.  He uses the term “trap game” at least 2-3 times a month. In many cases, i scoff at the notion that the game he’s talking about would be a trap game and I don’t bet it. Low and behold, his prediction will come through and he’s laughing all the way to the bank.  

The term may be a myth, from MY experience, it absolutely exists.  

You're sort of proving my point.  Betting lines are based upon perception, not reality, and if people "think" there are trap games they bet accordingly.

In the NFL even the bad teams are loaded with talent.  It truly is an "any given Sunday" league.  These guys know if they aren't ready to play they'll get embarrassed.  It's a fact.  Sure, they may look at the W-L records and think "we should win this game" but they wouldn't be playing in the NFL if they allowed that to impact the effort they put forth.

By the way, put me in contact with your friend!  ;)

This is where I'm very thankful of McDermott.  He has been very good at keeping the team focused and I do not see any way that the Bills overlook any team.  they all seem to be on the same page at looking at the season one game at a time.

i know people like to tease about the clapping but he has a great perspective and has kept this team focused.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ILBillsfan said:

This is where I'm very thankful of McDermott.  He has been very good at keeping the team focused and I do not see any way that the Bills overlook any team.  they all seem to be on the same page at looking at the season one game at a time.

i know people like to tease about the clapping but he has a great perspective and has kept this team focused.  

You saying a trap game might not exist, but a clap game definitely does?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

The Bills haven’t clinched anything yet. How is this a Trap Game? If anything, this is the most important of the three they have left. Win this one and then you can ‘rest’ might be the closest I’d come to a less than a must win message. 

I believe this would be called a "let down" game not a "trap game" as defined in the article OP linked. 

There's a number of myths in the NFL world that are absolutely false when you do statistical analysis, but are constantly referenced as gospel: 

Trap/Let down games

QBs need big hands

It's tough to beat a team for a 3rd time in 1 season

There must be more, but that's all I've off the top of my head 

Saints vs Eagles last week was clearly a trap game. Saints were obviously looking ahead to KC & probably prepared as such. That Eagles team is really bad & had no business being in that game, let alone winning it.

• Thank you (+1) 2

So teams that finished Over .500 vs. a team finished under .500. In other words any team 9-7 that plays a team 7-9. It seems to be a pretty shoddy analysis, especially since its Harvard. I can think of a million questions and definitions about this study that invalidate it. Like does the reputation of the team not matter? A 7-9 Lions team is a little different than a 7-9 Patriots team. Is it a divisional game? When people refer to a "trap" game, is it not more like a 12-4 Packers team playing 4-12 Giants team; the week before before the play a 12-4 Saints team for the #1 seed; and the week after playing an emotional divisonal game against a 10-6 Bears team? And, don't people refer to a team underperforming like being a 14 pt favorite and playing down to the opponent only to win by a FG in the second half? Wouldn't put much stock in this study. Believe what you want, but if you ever coached before and had a team come out flat, you understand the heuristic about a trap game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Is it not outside the realm of possibility that some locker rooms become comfortable with the idea of victory; and in such a mindset, become less focused on the work needed?

There may be no statistical evidence, but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that some teams fall victim to this mindset.  

I can recall teams in Gailey Era and the Marrone Era, and 1 Super Bowl, where this was clearly the case. 

I think maybe at the coaching level they try not to open up the whole playbook against an inferior opponent but players are playing for their careers and to earn that next big contract every week so I wouldnt think it happens at a player level much.  What do I know though 🤣

The article definition is not close to right, simply saying above or below 500 is not the proper definition since an 7-9 team is not bad. I would say above 650 and below 350 which those games do not happen as often back to back. I would say the raiders vs Jets was a trap game and it almost happened.

33 minutes ago, 947 said:

Saints vs Eagles last week was clearly a trap game. Saints were obviously looking ahead to KC & probably prepared as such. That Eagles team is really bad & had no business being in that game, let alone winning it.

Hill is no brees, and Wentz is no hurts. People underestimate a change of the guard.. did you watch the game ?

2 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

I mean, we were even hoping to be the Seahawks' trap game. 

Huh? No. The Bills were 6-2 heading into that game. Everyone saw it as a big matchup.

There's a difference in being an underdog and it being a trap game. You think there was any chance the Seahawks would be looking past a matchup with a 6-2 opponent?