Lee Smith was WIDE open on Allen's dart to Davis

Process

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

This underscores how bad the 49ers defense really was.    Allen had a few thread the needle throws but many receivers were wide open, their secondary must suck and as the aged Sherman admitted Josh extended plays and the 49ers just couldn't maintain coverage that long.  I got real tired of hearing what an offensive genius Shanahan was on offense and Saleh was on defense, their defense was a joke.

They had the 6th overall defense in the NFL going into that game. Daboll had an excellent game plan and Josh did Josh-type things. They had no answer for it, as many of the other teams we've faced this year. 

Just now, H2o said:

They had the 6th overall defense in the NFL going into that game. Daboll had an excellent game plan and Josh did Josh-type things. They had no answer for it, as many of the other teams we've faced this year. 

I dont care if they were the first overall defense going into the game plays like that one with no one covering a tight end are inexcusable in the NFL.

I certainly hope whoever tries to hire Saleh as a possible HC will watch that Bills game film.

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I dont care if they were the first overall defense going into the game plays like that one with no one covering a tight end are inexcusable in the NFL.

I certainly hope whoever tries to hire Saleh as a possible HC will watch that Bills game film.

The Michigan state legislature has already "elected" him to office :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

So Allen did actually initially check Smith, but when he looks the DE looks like he's going to run with him.

This is an example of what Allen should work on next year, Yes he clearly sees the soft spot in the zone and the Davis is going to be in the clear to get there - but just as he's gotten better at initial reads of "is this man or zone" - he'll need to be able to say "that's too many defenders on this side of the field- can't be right" and be able to instinctively turn and hit the TE that's released. Having a better TE that he could trust to beat a DE that dropped in coverage with him might also make this an easier choice.

This is a prime example of how Allen has gotten so much better but is NOT at the same level of say Rodgers. There is a great clip from a game where Rodgers comes to line, scans the D set up, and does a literal double take on who's defending his #1 WR.... He literally stares at it a bit longer and then smiles - snaps, pretends to go through his reads away from the WR he already knows is going to be wide open and then just calmly snaps back and throws to the mismatched coverage for an easy and open TD. 

Also Lee Smith is not really known as "hands" Smith. 

In that play design he is likely more a decoy to draw coverage away. Sometimes teams do not fall for the decoy.

Allen usually spreads the ball around pretty well, he gets to more of his reads at this early stage of his development than many vet QBs out there.

He has also hit Lee on some red zone TDs adding rare stats to Lee's player bio. Not too concerned.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Also Lee Smith is not really known as "hands" Smith. 

In that play design he is likely more a decoy to draw coverage away. Sometimes teams do not fall for the decoy.

Allen usually spreads the ball around pretty well, he gets to more of his reads at this early stage of his development than many vet QBs out there.

He has also hit Lee on some red zone TDs adding rare stats to Lee's player bio. Not too concerned.

He still wasn't open enough... 

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, jletha said:

where have you seen that claimed? If they knew what we were doing why didnt they stop us?

Right here.

Read the thread started yesterday on this forum.

It was started at 9:21AM, and the thread title was:

"49ers to a man say they knew what the Bills were going to do on offense, were not surprised but were helpless to stop them"

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

So Allen did actually initially check Smith, but when he looks the DE looks like he's going to run with him.

This is an example of what Allen should work on next year, Yes he clearly sees the soft spot in the zone and the Davis is going to be in the clear to get there - but just as he's gotten better at initial reads of "is this man or zone" - he'll need to be able to say "that's too many defenders on this side of the field- can't be right" and be able to instinctively turn and hit the TE that's released. Having a better TE that he could trust to beat a DE that dropped in coverage with him might also make this an easier choice.

This is a prime example of how Allen has gotten so much better but is NOT at the same level of say Rodgers. There is a great clip from a game where Rodgers comes to line, scans the D set up, and does a literal double take on who's defending his #1 WR.... He literally stares at it a bit longer and then smiles - snaps, pretends to go through his reads away from the WR he already knows is going to be wide open and then just calmly snaps back and throws to the mismatched coverage for an easy and open TD. 

TBH, I think Josh just didn't want to throw to Smith

Yes, the throw in the EZ was high and behind, but it looked to me as though Josh was trying to hand motion to him to hold up...and high/behind I think Kroft or Knox make that throw

Maybe I'm wrong

To be fair to him, Smith normally does catch almost everything that's thrown to him, but not much is thrown to him

And I agree, Josh can still improve in his ability to read the field pre and post snap and instantly know where the mismatch is going to be.  As Daboll has said "we're still a work in progress"

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

best part about referencing Rodgers is; at Josh’s age, he hadn’t yet started and NFL game.  Nether had Kelly. 

"throw to Lee Smith" likely wasn't a large part of the playbook, so it's easy to forgive Josh for not looking his way, when options #1, & #2 and the check down are on the left. My guess us that Smith was nothing more than having someone around to throw the ball away without getting intentional grounding. That's a coverage bust, but not neccesarily something you expect Josh to pick up

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

TBH, I think Josh just didn't want to throw to Smith

Haha... no chance this statement is true. I promise the guys busted his balls in film this week. Every QB ever born would rather throw a TD than force a ball into a guy triple covered. 
Given that same look again, Josh throws to Smith in a heartbeat. 

1 minute ago, JY422 said:

Haha... no chance this statement is true. I promise the guys busted his balls in film this week. Every QB ever born would rather throw a TD than force a ball into a guy triple covered. 
Given that same look again, Josh throws to Smith in a heartbeat. 

First you need to convince Josh that Davis wasn't open enough to not make that throw. And considering his arm talent, not sure that's an argument you're gonna win.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Mike Schopp is probably screaming conspiracy theory in his bid to get Smith to 5 catches on the year so he wins the bet he has with 2 or 3 others at WGR

that guy is still around?  Is he finding new ways to hate the bills offense or is he pretending he was the architect? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.