Officiating across the league is god awful

Brennan Huff

19 hours ago, BananaB said:

Meanwhile, Hill does a backflip into the end zone for KC. That was ***** classless. All my years of watching football I have always said KC is one of the most classless organizations I have ever seen. They always rub it in, doesn’t matter what decade and who’s on the roster. 

I hate the celebrations though so I understand people won’t agree with me. 

The NFL and its asinine rules, the "taunting " is another one.

Where does one draw the line between a "celebration" and "taunting".   

19 hours ago, BananaB said:

Meanwhile, Hill does a backflip into the end zone for KC. That was ***** classless. All my years of watching football I have always said KC is one of the most classless organizations I have ever seen. They always rub it in, doesn’t matter what decade and who’s on the roster. 

The NFL and its asinine rules, the "taunting " is another one.

Where does one draw the line between a "celebration" and "taunting".   

21 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

He threw the ball at a tackler after the play. The official, like I, thought it was intentional. If he doesn't sling the ball behind his back at the tackler, he gives the official nothing to think about. Pretty dang simple...

I'm not going to argue with stupidity.  Even Gannon and Gumbel said it was a bad call.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, BananaB said:

Or how every player has to have a big signal when they get a first down. Come on

5 hours ago, Back the Blue said:

For all who believe that full-time officials are the answer, look to the NHL and even the NBA and MLB.  Officials/Refs/Umpires still make mistakes.  It's part of the game.

This isn't a very compelling argument.

The officiating in baseball is by far the best in N. American major league sports.

And they use professionals, have a rigorous grading/evaluation system, and umps move up the ranks just like players. 

I don't know that full time NFL refs would make a lot of difference however.

I don't see the officiating in the NFL has anything the league is concerned with, so I doubt there would be some major change in this area anyway.

I do wish they would take the entire instant replay/review system and throw it in the garbage and never go back.

Watching MNF and Wentz gets ball snapped over his head. He grabs the ball, rolls out and throws the ball at least 3 yards short of the LOS where an official is standing. Then the idiot ref says that there is no grounding because he threw it past the LOS, which he did not. How can they screw up an easy call like that? 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

This isn't a very compelling argument.

The officiating in baseball is by far the best in N. American major league sports.

And they use professionals, have a rigorous grading/evaluation system, and umps move up the ranks just like players. 

I don't know that full time NFL refs would make a lot of difference however.

I don't see the officiating in the NFL has anything the league is concerned with, so I doubt there would be some major change in this area anyway.

I do wish they would take the entire instant replay/review system and throw it in the garbage and never go back.

You are correct about baseball and the most important part is they are graded on their calls. If the NFL allowed teams to grades officials after the game it would be illuminating after a few games. No coach is gonna call all officials trash, he will quickly determine which officials he wants and those he hates. I would bet most coaches prefer officials who stay out of game unless it is necessary.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/29/2020 at 6:48 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

Be held responsible?  You actually think the League can fine a ref for a bad call and the union not stepping in?

There is roughly 150 plays per game and they blow a call or two call and that means they are terrible?

Depending on the call and the situation, yeah I think it can be extremely problematic. If the chargers score a td at the end, the over hits and the chargers cover. The initial no call on the clear offensive PI td and a few other penalties you rarely see being called in key high leverage situations raises concerns.

Also, the lack of a booth review on the pass interference, when it really looked like the ball hit the ground and it would have been game over had they reviewed it, instead hail mary and almost a crazy backend cover and the over.

You can't, especially in a post donoghy world, have a ref crew that makes so many more judgement calls compared to other crews, in meaningless garbage time (chance for an onside kick recovery is prob less than the Hail Murray play) making headscratching judgment calls that directly lead to a potential last second cover and the over flipping.

I promise I'm not saying I think it's going on, but I also think there will be somebody investigating that crew now if they aren't already just to make sure. The optics look really really bad for the league in my opinion in that last sequence and the bills stopping them saved the league a lot of crap.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Watching MNF and Wentz gets ball snapped over his head. He grabs the ball, rolls out and throws the ball at least 3 yards short of the LOS where an official is standing. Then the idiot ref says that there is no grounding because he threw it past the LOS, which he did not. How can they screw up an easy call like that? 

The packers forced a fumble on trubiskey on SNF, and returned it for a TD.  Not 1, but 2 packers pulled on his facemask.  How do you miss that, on the QB... in the pocket... with the ball?

27 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would swap to the college officials in a heartbeat

They seem to have fewer like... 2 minute conversations before they make calls.  They just walk out there and go holding on 77, replay the down.  What down is it?  77 isn't even on the field!  

21 hours ago, Back the Blue said:

For all who believe that full-time officials are the answer, look to the NHL and even the NBA and MLB.  Officials/Refs/Umpires still make mistakes.  It's part of the game.

No - but there needs to be some accountability.  How are they evaluated?  I know if you are evaluated poorly you don't get playoff games - but when/how do they determine whether to get rid of you, promote/demote, etc.

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

The packers forced a fumble on trubiskey on SNF, and returned it for a TD.  Not 1, but 2 packers pulled on his facemask.  How do you miss that, on the QB... in the pocket... with the ball?

They seem to have fewer like... 2 minute conversations before they make calls.  They just walk out there and go holding on 77, replay the down.  What down is it?  77 isn't even on the field!  

I haven’t been watching a ton of college ball this year but the few games I did catch shows the refs with their heads on a swivel scanning the area and making a strong effort to get a good view of the play. If feels like NFL official have a union rule that says don’t take more than 10 steps on a play and risk injury.

43 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Both the referee and umpire are in the offensive backfield in the NFL so that play where Trubisky was facing away from them made it nearly impossible for the officials to see that foul. When the umpire was on the defensive side of the ball, more of those calls were made.

Edited by fasteddie

On 11/29/2020 at 7:32 PM, Azucho98 said:

You think he did?  If you have to "think" about a personal foul penalty it wasn't a foul.  The ball landed nowhere near the defender.  BS call.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but the replay showed that the ball that moss threw backward hit the defender in the gut. Weak call, but it did hit the defender.

I just want there to be fewer penalties overall.  Nobody tunes in to watch referees throw flags.  

Penalties have become such a big part of the game that I can't even get excited in real time because I'm waiting to see if there was a flag.  Big QB sack (I hope they didn't touch his helmet or hit him low).   Punt return (probably a holding flag somewhere).  Big pass breakup (probably defensive PI).  It's frustrating.

Josh got his taunting call for spinning the ball, then a mild reminder from McDermott that a second offense would lead to a disqual.

I started thinking about that and remembered that he did another ballspin later in the game.

At 3:45 in the 4th, he had a 13 yard run from the Chargers 24 on a 3rd and 9.  It ended up being negated by 2 other Offensive penalties, but while on his knees, he spun the ball again.

Officials didn't notice as they were already chit-chatting about the other 2 penalties.

He needs to immediately get that little ball spin gimmick out of his game.

2 minutes ago, hemma said:

Josh got his taunting call for spinning the ball, then a mild reminder from McDermott that a second offense would lead to a disqual.

I started thinking about that and remembered that he did another ballspin later in the game.

At 3:45 in the 4th, he had a 13 yard run from the Chargers 24 on a 3rd and 9.  It ended up being negated by 2 other Offensive penalties, but while on his knees, he spun the ball again.

Officials didn't notice as they were already chit-chatting about the other 2 penalties.

He needs to immediately get that little ball spin gimmick out of his game.

The issue wasn’t spinning the ball, it was spinning the ball in the face of the opposing team’s player. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/29/2020 at 5:15 PM, Brennan Huff said:

I won’t shed too many tears about it. But that “blindside block” was complete bull#### and brought back a touchdown. It’s a legit concern

No it wasn't. It was the exact definition of the rule. You can't blowup a guy any more with your back to your endzone. "Blindside" is a nick name, it's not the rule.