Ravens-Steelers now postponed to Wednesday 3:40 pm

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Listen up!

Please take a sec and re-read @SDS prohibition on general covid-19 comments in the main boards

NFL specific only

Thanks

That Is All.

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

So a coach willfully violates protocol to a point that the team punishes him, and now the Steelers get hosed? Why are the ravens not having to forfeit? Unreported symptoms? Come on.

Second time this year the Steelers get screwed because of incompetent protocol following by their opponents while the Steeler organization has done a good job so far. Don’t blame them one bit for being pissed today. 

Edited by Billznut
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, NewEra said:

The problem being, no consistency.  

why was this game postponed, but the Bills game last week not?  We lost 4 players.  The niners had a game where they were missing 6.  The picking and choosing which games get postponed is the problem imo.  

New Era, I think because the Ravens have 6 identified, but another 6 and growing of tier 1 staff interacting with the players.  I’m guessing they were concerned with the numbers continuing to grow.

This may suck for some players, fans, staff, but it’s just reality now, but why complain (not saying you New Era) when we could have cancelled games, 8 teams per conference in the playoffs, season extended or cancelled.  There are a lot worse alternatives than a game moving back three days.

What really stinks is I bet the game will get most of the markets in the country so I’m guaranteed having to go to Wild Wings.  Bright side is the last game not on TV.  It’s almost a lock we will get the Bills/Miami game in week 17.  If that game has meaning, it will be blanketed throughout the country.

• Like (+1) 1

More about how the Steelers players ain't happy:

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/25/steelers-ravens-nfl-covid-19-postponed/

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/25/pittsburgh-steelers-baltimore-ravens-covid-19-discipline-nfl-2020/

I hope Pelissaro is wrong about this.  A coach is working with players unmasked, and his device shows he's at his desk (or wherever) when he should be working with players (organizations are supposed to be reviewing contact tracing info every single day) and no one in the organization notices/calls him out?  Quoth the Raven "I see nothing, Nothing!" like Sgt Schultz?

Yeah, a retroactive smack-down shouldn't save ya.

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

New Era, I think because the Ravens have 6 identified, but another 6 and growing of tier 1 staff interacting with the players.  I’m guessing they were concerned with the numbers continuing to grow.

This may suck for some players, fans, staff, but it’s just reality now, but why complain (not saying you New Era) when we could have cancelled games, 8 teams per conference in the playoffs, season extended or cancelled.  There are a lot worse alternatives than a game moving back three days.

What really stinks is I bet the game will get most of the markets in the country so I’m guaranteed having to go to Wild Wings.  Bright side is the last game not on TV.  It’s almost a lock we will get the Bills/Miami game in week 17.  If that game has meaning, it will be blanketed throughout the country.

Spot on. Looks like the ravens had multiple cases today as well.  They may not even play Sunday.  Maybe they’ll get pushed back up til Tuesday!

11 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I do not see what people are missing - they are not pushing the game back to give time for guys to get back - it is to identify positives and limit transmission any further.

This is very much akin to what happened with the Titans and the situation is 100% different than what the Bills just went through.  The Bills had 1 positive test in Norman (did not seem to come from the facility) and they had several “close contacts” based on tracing that had to sit because there was not enough time between exposure and game to be cleared (none of them seemed to become positive meaning the protocols are working).

The Ravens (like the Titans) had a coach that did not properly report symptoms and spread it to several players that have all now tested positive.  Now they are contact tracing and have to determine how many others might be impacted.  They also need the ectra couple of days for any additional stragglers to become positive.

This is part of their policy and is exactly what they should be doing.  Unfortunately (just like Buffalo earlier in the season) their opponent also gets screwed and it is unfair, but they have to do the Best they can.

Good post.  Who became positive from Norman, though?

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Spot on. Looks like the ravens had multiple cases today as well.  They may not even play Sunday.  Maybe they’ll get pushed back up til Tuesday!

Linky?

Thursday night swap: Why the NFL moved Ravens-Steelers, but not 49ers-Packers

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/11/25/thursday-night-swap-why-the-nfl-moved-ravens-steelers-but-not-49ers-packers/

The NFL went through with the 49ers hosting the Green Bay Packers on Nov. 5 because, basically, the NFL thought there wasn’t a great enough risk of COVID-19 spreading.

Also, and this should be the more compelling reason, the coronavirus pandemic is surging much more than it was three weeks ago, throughout the country and NFL locker rooms

League spokesman Brian McCarthy noted that every situation varies depending upon the facts.

In terms of the 49ers’ Nov. 5 loss against the Packers, the NFL said it was able to “identify and isolate the few cases and were confident that there was no longer concern for more spread among either team.” (More on that below.)

In terms of Baltimore’s situation, the NFL is delaying it three days in hopes it “gives us more testing time and provides greater comfort and certainty than playing tomorrow when there could be additional issues that could affect both the Ravens and Steelers and the rest of their seasons.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good post.  Who became positive from Norman, though?

Linky?

No one, but 4 players were considered close contacts and had to go on the COVID report until they had multiple negative results over a course of days - causing them to miss the Arizona game.  That is why there was no need to postpone the Bills game - they isolated the potential contacts and used the COVID Squad.

To me that shows the Bills are following protocols in house and that the risk of transmission during things like practice are limited.  The positives all come from sustained close contact (coaches during a meeting/work-out or in a meeting room, Dinner at a restaurant where 2 players dine together for an extended period of time, etc.).

11 hours ago, whatdrought said:

So a coach willfully violates protocol to a point that the team punishes him, and now the Steelers get hosed? Why are the ravens not having to forfeit? Unreported symptoms? Come on.

how many violations are there in the league where an assistant strength coach can mess up and cause a forfeit?

if it’s found that the whole team was lax and the game has to be cancelled, maybe, but when there’s an easy option to move it to Sunday you’d have to be a real curmudgeon to yell forfeit 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

No one, but 4 players were considered close contacts and had to go on the COVID report until they had multiple negative results over a course of days - causing them to miss the Arizona game.  That is why there was no need to postpone the Bills game - they isolated the potential contacts and used the COVID Squad.

Somehow I misread your post to say "one of them became positive". 

9 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

To me that shows the Bills are following protocols in house and that the risk of transmission during things like practice are limited.  The positives all come from sustained close contact (coaches during a meeting/work-out or in a meeting room, Dinner at a restaurant where 2 players dine together for an extended period of time, etc.).

I'd like to see fewer close contacts on the Bills.  Not knowing the details of the contact tracing rules they're following, hard to tell, but it should be 1-2 close contacts per positive test, not 4.  It should be possible to arrange a meeting room so that there are 0 close contacts, and players who dine together need to sit 6 feet apart.  That's just how it needs to be.

But your main point is germaine: most teams around the league have managed to sustain a positive test, quarantine a handful of close contacts, and close it out *knock wood*

16 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

how many violations are there in the league where an assistant strength coach can mess up and cause a forfeit?

if it’s found that the whole team was lax and the game has to be cancelled, maybe, but when there’s an easy option to move it to Sunday you’d have to be a real curmudgeon to yell forfeit 

It doesn't look like it'll happen sunday either.... The teams were given very clear instructions: If negligence causes outbreaks, you forfeit. That's exactly what happened here. Blame HR, blame the owner, whoever you want. An employee of the team f-ed up big time and here we are. 

33 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

It doesn't look like it'll happen sunday either.... The teams were given very clear instructions: If negligence causes outbreaks, you forfeit. That's exactly what happened here. Blame HR, blame the owner, whoever you want. An employee of the team f-ed up big time and here we are. 

Enforcement is a wet noodle.

• Haha (+1) 1

With this game being moved, the remaining 2 Thanksgiving games involve 4 teams with all losing records.

I don't know the answer to this..so just asking if anyone does know...when was the last time we had a Thanksgiving where every single team playing had a losing record going into the game?

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dafuque this all about?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EntFsDHWMAEp79S?format=jpg&name=small

image.thumb.png.79d7e902cf89a916e0505cb83178960b.png

Edit: N mind as usual I see that @YoloinOhio is already on it

I'm sorry, but this should be a fireable offense. How dare this selfish person ruin Thanksgiving day festivities for millions of football fans.

image.thumb.jpeg.1fa4bf4e148365854456ff29ff3b29c1.jpeg

Well, if there's no night game tonight, break out a replay of any of the Buffalo Public Schools' Harvard Cup championship games from back in the 1980s.  Generally played at All High Stadium (behind Bennet High School), the natural turf field rendered many games a mud bowl by the third quarter.

I actually called Channel 17 one year to suggest that they resume broadcasts of the game, and ended up arguing with the receptionist who maintained they had never broadcast the game. 🤨

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Somehow I misread your post to say "one of them became positive". 

I'd like to see fewer close contacts on the Bills.  Not knowing the details of the contact tracing rules they're following, hard to tell, but it should be 1-2 close contacts per positive test, not 4.  It should be possible to arrange a meeting room so that there are 0 close contacts, and players who dine together need to sit 6 feet apart.  That's just how it needs to be.

But your main point is germaine: most teams around the league have managed to sustain a positive test, quarantine a handful of close contacts, and close it out *knock wood*

I agree with that, but what we don’t really know is what triggered the close contact.  It could have been them practicing and trying to have a discussion about how to handle something like a stacked look and you end up with Norman, Wallace, and Marlowe for example all talking game planning and they happen to exceed a time limit.  

They are assuming (which is part of the issue with the pandemic) that they are negative as they are all getting tested, but sometimes - especially when trying to work out how they want to handle parts of the game plan - need time together to talk out switches or ensure they are all on the same page and it bit them this time.  

Based on the fact that several other Safeties and CBs were not exposed - I think it was not necessarily meetings that triggered it.  It more likely was a small group working on a part of the game plan to try and be ready for the game.

The dining comment was more associated to the Pats situation where Cam had dinner out with Gilmore and both ended up infected from that meeting.  

Overall - It is tough to play. Complex style of defense and not spend time together working on it.  The Bills have done an adequate job of keeping players safe, but like every team they have things they could do to get better.  The Knox TE room is an example of that.  They all need to learn and adapt.

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

they still have Monday/Tuesday so we will see.

Nothing wrong with trying to find a solution instead of racing to dole out punishment