Justin Zimmer...most athletic DT in the past 15 years

Big Turk

49 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He's 28 years old. He is basically peeking

There's not much room left to grow. It's a good story but he is nowhere near the potential to be a Kyle Williams type guy

Kyle Williams was starting 16 games in the NFL at 24. This kid is closer to 30. Great story but I don't think there will be much development

I'm not saying at all he could a "Kyle Williams" type, but some athletes do peak older. And in his case, it seems he has the physical tools but likely not the whole toolbox of skills in the DT position, being fairly green at it. So yes, his upside is still huge - though he might plateau. Point is, we don't know but it is possible.

Just now, Jerome007 said:

I'm not saying at all he could a "Kyle Williams" type, but some athletes do peak older. And in his case, it seems he has the physical tools but likely not the whole toolbox of skills in the DT position, being fairly green at it. So yes, his upside is still huge - though he might plateau. Point is, we don't know but it is possible.

I don't know if you could say his upside is huge

That's like saying he has potential being an  all pro

And his physical skills are actually going to start diminishing in the next year or two

He is in the prime of his football career right now, physically and probably mentally, which is why he's playing the best ball of his career

I'm excited for him but he basically is what he is, and he's in his prime now

Hey, any player on our defense who can create turnovers immediately vaults toward the top of production. I like Zimmer and hopefully McD can find a home for him that makes sense. Could Ed Oliver ever drop some weight and move to DE? Then Star is your 1 & Justin can play the 3?  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't know if you could say his upside is huge

That's like saying he has potential being an  all pro

And his physical skills are actually going to start diminishing in the next year or two

He is in the prime of his football career right now, physically and probably mentally, which is why he's playing the best ball of his career

I'm excited for him but he basically is what he is, and he's in his prime now

I mentioned his upside as he is green at DT. 

You could put the world's best 300 pound athlete at the position, but if he has never played the position he'll suck bad. 

As for declining physically, don't be so sure. He's not that old, and his wear and tear is fairly low compared to peers of his age.

Anyway, let's hope he does grow into an All Pro as a Bills ha ha

1 minute ago, Jerome007 said:

I mentioned his upside as he is green at DT. 

You could put the world's best 300 pound athlete at the position, but if he has never played the position he'll suck bad. 

As for declining physically, don't be so sure. He's not that old, and his wear and tear is fairly low compared to peers of his age.

Anyway, let's hope he does grow into an All Pro as a Bills ha ha

He's been playing defensive tackle for 6 years now

Sure he's still green compared to other NFL veterans, but he's a pro

I've been around division one and pro football players my whole life, every single one is oozing with talent

I hope he becomes a beast, he made the play of  the game the other day

You can't deny his hustle

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Hey, any player on our defense who can create turnovers immediately vaults toward the top of production. I like Zimmer and hopefully McD can find a home for him that makes sense. Could Ed Oliver ever drop some weight and move to DE? Then Star is your 1 & Justin can play the 3?  

I’m one of those who thinks arm length is imperative for DEs vs. the OTs in this league. Oliver’s are just too short and he’d be too easy to lock up out on the edge. He certainly possesses the athleticism, but it’s too easily negated on the outside, imo. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's been a mystery to me why he had never made it in the NFL.

When the Bills originally signed him as a UDFA I thought it was one of those rare steals............not quite like Jason Peters.........but I thought he was going to be a really good penetrating DT..........a great find.

Before training camp I remember Astro and I were both talking him up...........and then he did squat.

Glad to see he is making it in the NFL now but still don't understand what has taken so long...........he had the measurables and enough tape to back it up. 

Its a tough position i think.  Hand usage - explosive burst - leverage.  You can be a giant and if you lose your leverage, you miss your gap and lose your assignment.

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’m one of those who thinks arm length is imperative for DEs vs. the OTs in this league. Oliver’s are just too short and he’d be too easy to lock up out on the edge. He certainly possesses the athleticism, but it’s too easily negated on the outside, imo. 

Yeah, his burst is elite.  He just needs to keep it up with his arms and counters.

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Based on the numbers put up at the combine/pro days, there is a calculation called RAS that measures a player's athleticism and explosiveness and then it can be compared to see how they stack up against others at their position. 

"5" is considered average for their position, with "10" being the most athletic at their position.  

Justin Zimmer has the best RAS score in the last 15 years and scored a "10"...ahead of Suh and Donald even.  Dareus came in with a good score of 6.88.

Guess that explains how he tracked down Newton from behind so quickly...

Zimmer's amazing results included a 4.85 40-Yard Dash, a 33.5-inch Vertical Jump, a 7.01 3-Cone Drill and a 9-foot-9 Broad Jump. To top it all off, he also recorded a beastly 44 reps on the Bench Press.

If he was a DE in college, was it fair to compare his numbers to DT's? I mean, if you measured the athleticism of nose tackles and then snuck in a slot corner, it wouldn't be surprising to see better numbers from the little guy. Maybe that is the way you get a truly athletic DT, by bulking up a guy who is quick and well balanced and see if he his can keep that skill even when bulked up to play a beefier position. 

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Its a tough position i think.  Hand usage - explosive burst - leverage.  You can be a giant and if you lose your leverage, you miss your gap and lose your assignment.

Yeah he just looked like he was more ready than he was I guess.   Certainly wasn't a lack of hustle.

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He's 28 years old. He is basically peeking

There's not much room left to grow. It's a good story but he is nowhere near the potential to be a Kyle Williams type guy

Kyle Williams was starting 16 games in the NFL at 24. This kid is closer to 30. Great story but I don't think there will be much development

A few nice years possibly for the late-bloomer. I'd take it!

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

A few nice years possibly for the late-bloomer. I'd take it!

You can't teach his heart and hustle

And athletically is a freak. He should have at least two or three years in the league

3 hours ago, Mickey said:

If he was a DE in college, was it fair to compare his numbers to DT's? I mean, if you measured the athleticism of nose tackles and then snuck in a slot corner, it wouldn't be surprising to see better numbers from the little guy. Maybe that is the way you get a truly athletic DT, by bulking up a guy who is quick and well balanced and see if he his can keep that skill even when bulked up to play a beefier position. 

Colleges and pro teams have done that for a long time

Doesn't always pan out

Adolphus Washington was a end, that Ohio State converted to a penetrating tackle. Was supposed to be that quick pass rusher inside,  that moves like a defensive end

Unfortunately he just didn't have the strength for the NFL level

6 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

He wanted to be LB then DE now DT? That's quite unusual!

It was a LB type tackle he did.

He's pushed around and ragdolled on some plays, and a disrupter on others. I mean it happens to everyone but he is more at the extremes of both. Weird.

I think it's because he's not as naturally heavy in the trunk as other NFL D lineman.   It takes more effort for him to anchor down, especially on double teams.  Which leads to the occasional low light of getting pushed back several yards.   But the athleticism allows him to get around blocks and penetrate the backfield if he can get leverage.    Besides the awesome punch out yesterday, he causes 2 penalties on the pass rush.  Both reversed completions of more than 15 yards.