A Few Thoughts About the Patriots Game, in no particular order

Virgil

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I've been right about a few things this season, and wrong about a lot more. When we signed Klein, I went and watched several of his games with the Saints last season. What I saw was a low-motor guy who spent a lot of time waiting for the play to come to him, and was slow to get after it when he did go for it. I'm sorry to have been right about that. In a way, he reminds me a bit of Trent Murphy, in that once, or twice a game he will make a decent play. With Murphy, though, it's really a matter of poor execution. Klein looks disinterested half the time. He's a bum.

But, I'm very happy to have been wrong about Feliciano, and Moss. I really didn't think Moss was going to amount to much, and nothing he did in the first five games, or so did anything to assuage my concerns. But, he really did emerge today. Today it finally looked like we have that one-two punch that everyone else has predicted. Nice.

And, man was I wrong about Feliciano. All the way up until last week, I really didn't think he offered more than what we had in Spain/Ford, or Ford/Winters. I even thought that Boettger would work out his kinks, and settle in to being a decent option at G (I still think he might). But, man, Mongo showed his value today. I truly don't believe that Moss would have made that TD with anyone else out there. Especially impressive to me was how well he transitioned to C, and was still just as effective in his blocks, especially in the run game. Wow.

Speaking of Spain, while at the time of his signing with the Bengals it was said ‘to the practice squad‘ , he started at LG for the Bengals due to all of their O-Line injuries.  Just wasn’t working for the Bills this season.  Feliciano much better.

I think the play at RT is better than it has been since I can't remember. 

I thought  99 played ok, a touch of an improvement 

No one is complaining about Tyler B today

Gabriel needs to get his head around this game he is getting paid to play

Our QB is still a good QB

"Same old friends the wind and rain, but we'll see summer come again"

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Did anyone really outcoach anyone?  Both teams were down multiple starters and had others limping around.  Rushing and passing stats were nearly identical as was turnovers.  Both teams used pretty much the same exact game plan.  Home team won by 3 which is expected when equals meet.

Compare the 2 Rosters and tell me those 2 teams are equal.  There are not many coaches BB doesn't out coach.  I think Tom Coughlin is about the only one.

1 hour ago, RichRiderBills said:

I hated the deep shot...was a bad call by Daboll given the success of the running game. Poor choice to do that after a 2 yard loss 2nd and 12 i believe, which really made our 3rd down predictable and essentially killed 2 downs.

All plays have options and the QB can change the play.  Maybe it was Josh who thought he saw some advantage.

28 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

The onside kick, I'll bite. But the FG? That's playing not to lose. That's Dick Jauron ball. Why wouldn't you at least attempt to score 7 in that situation?

That's having Cam Newton as your QB. This is just my opinion, but part of the genius of Belichick* is risk management-- risk vs. reward. The risk of the onside kick was giving the Bills good field position-- but only by about 15-20 yards. Belichick knows the Bills offense, and knows that if they get into a groove, they can compensate for field position quickly. But, even if the Bills take advantage (as they did) it also gets the Pats* offense back on the field that much quicker. 

But, regarding the field goal, you have to assume the end of the half, with 12 seconds on the clock, and knowing Newton's proclivities, Belichick* felt going for third and long was too likely to result in leaving points on the field rather than getting the TD, and that not leaving points on the field was the more important outcome. And giving Newton 12 seconds to screw things up was too risky for the moment. 

Sure, it all seems a bit desperate, but you can't argue with the results-- three points, and a stupid Newton fumble from a tie game, with clearly inferior talent.

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Did anyone really outcoach anyone?  Both teams were down multiple starters and had others limping around.  Rushing and passing stats were nearly identical as was turnovers.  Both teams used pretty much the same exact game plan.  Home team won by 3 which is expected when equals meet.

I'm baffled what outcoached means in the context of this game lol they didn't really fool our offense at all and their offensive strategy was to run it down our throats because we cannot tackle...also the pats tried a rather ridiculous onside kick that we were prepared for which really swung the game.  Are we saying its the coaches fault the linebackers are absolutely awful? Because if thats what outcoached means then sure lol

• Like (+1) 1

10 - we won despite McD, not because of him.  Cheats ran the same play, over and over, motioning an outside man into the formation, then running to the outside and beating the Bills to the edge, ALL GAME LONG!!  Tasker was going crazy on the radio call, and I started to wonder how professional coaches can see the same thing all day, and do nothing to stop it.  McD is here for the duration, so I guess we'll have to get used to it.

Otherwise, a great win for the team.  Seeing that ball on the carpet was the most beautiful thing I've seen from the Bills v Cheats in a long time.

4 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

While Klein has played badly I liked that they blitzed him more today. He’s never going to be good in coverage, but his best game is around the line of scrimmage. He did miss some tackles today though. Nothing seems to be working for him, or most of the defense for that matter. 
I said in a different thread I’m glad the issues are so blatantly exposed now, if they’re corrected by playoff time. Better to be gashed now and have it on tape if they can correct it when it counts even more. 

I agree, just let him blitz. But even then tonight more often than not his timing on the snap was off and he blitzed through and had a big arm tackle miss on cam that would have been big. Not impressed with Klein so far.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

He even said he made the wrong cut at the end  

Allen hater, typical 

I stand corrected.  Thought it made more sense to throw the ball toward sidline as opposed to inside. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Allen hater?  Bills fans are weird, I swear.

Edited by Chicken Boo

4 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

1. The Pats WR name you were looking for is Meyers.

2. Dislike BB all you want IMO he outcoached McDermott and was one Cam fumble away from stealing a win the Pats had no right to.

3. if the Bills had stuck to Running the ball they would have run away with the game but insisting on attacking the Pats secondary IMO kept the Pats in the game.

4. your RB ran hard and well..

5. The question is still the Bills D,who more like survived than one that game.  They will have do better against teams like Seattle etc.

6.  This is now the Bills division to lose. So enjoy it.

Clueless one the Bills were already in lead in division so it was "Bills division to lose".   That means the P*ts lost for nothing.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

When I think of NFL divisional rivals, I always think about the Packers and Vikings.  No matter how good one of them got, they always played each other hard and close.  Coincidentally, they also played today and the Vikings pulled out the upset win.  When you play in the same division, the coaches and players simply know each other better and the results don't match up with what the pre-game analytics would suggest.  Then we have the Bills and the Pats today....

1 - Daboll - I've been incredibly critical of Daboll's rushing attack play calls this year.  He's lacked creativity and seemed to run because he felt he technically had to.  Today, he deployed a rushing attack that I hope he maintains for the rest of the season (in quality, not quantity).  He put Motor and Moss on the field at the same time, used zone runs, and pulls guards.  The result was our best rushing game of the season.  I can't speak for the wind today, but I would have liked to have seen some more passes once the rain stopped, especially against the depleted Pats secondary.  Regardless, solid gameplan that should have put up 10 more points than we say (Int and drop). 

2 - Motor/Moss - These guys really made the most of their opportunities today and really impressed me.  Moss's rush before the first touchdown validated the Bills selection of him in the 3rd round as he showed speed, power, and a quick cut.  His two touchdown runs really showed his power, even with some help from Feliciano and Winters pushing him in.  Both guys broke some arm tackles and solid burst.  I'd give the edge today to Moss for overall production, but they both made a solid argument for MVP.  The touchdowns determined the winner for me.  Call-out to Motor for making a solid block on one of Moss's runs.  Love that team effort.

3 - Feliciano - I didn't know I could miss a guy I barely paid attention to before and an offensive lineman at that.  On each of the big run replays, Feliciano absolutely mauled his defenders.  He probably should have been called for a few holds as I saw him straight up tackle a guy once.  Man, he really made a difference out there, again with the touchdown support.  It's really unfortunate that Morse went out with a concussion (especially being his potential 5th), because the line could look a lot different in the rushing attack with Morse, Feliciano, and Ford anchoring the middle.  Either way, solid effort in his first game back and in transitioning to Center.

4 - You say you got a real solution, well you know, we'd all love to see the plan

You ask me for a contribution, well you know, we are doing what we can

But if you want money for people with minds that hate

All I can tell you brother is you have to wait

Don't you know it's gonna be alright, alright, alright.

5 - Pats Defense - First off, can we talk about the Hoodie' son's mullet?  Is he trying to one-up his day for style points?  Moving on.  The pass rush of the Pats today was solid and didn't make Dawkins or Williams look great at times.  They were edge rushing wide on most past plays and sped up Allen's clock.  They may not have brought Allen down much, but he took some shots today and made things uncomfortable at times.  The Hoodie was also up to his old tricks of standing all 11 guys pre-snap and showed 8 in the box.  I'm curious to see what the All-22 shows and hear more about the wind, because I'm curious how the coverage was downfield.

6 - Klein - For a FA target that we gave 6 mil a year too, I really expected more out of AJ this season.  He's been mainly non-existent and his snap rotation seems low.  Today, he missed at least two tackles today that resulted in solid gains.  Most of the plays today that gave me the typical Pats/Bills flashbacks, were attached to missed tackles where Klein was involved and in the area.  Overall, just not seeing the production from him that justifies us targeting him or his contract. 

7 - Allen - I hate to keep talking about the wind and the offensive scheme, but it's safe to say that any evaluation of Allen has to take those into consideration.  However, I think Allen overall played a solid game today and, more importantly, never seemed confused or raddled by the Pats defense.  His interception was a mis-play by Diggs.  Davis dropped a wide open touchdown pass that was a great play by Allen.  Josh had a few solid runs and took what was given.  His one deep shot missed, but I liked the shot.  There was a deep crossing route to Diggs that Diggs claimed to have his arm held, which would have extended a drive, but never saw a replay.  Overall, not a great game but also not a bad game.  I loved seeing the fire in Josh on his rushing TD and can't wait until the rematch in New England.

8 - Defense - Talk about a tale of two halves.  Based off the first half alone, I didn't think the Patriots were ever going to core a touchdown against us.  Not only did they score a touchdown in the second half, but they scored two and quickly.  On the second touchdown drive, we looked very Bills/Pats Billsy with missed tackles and penalties.  Penalties and mistakes overall kept the Pats in this game.  As for Frazier, I don't know why Tre didn't shadow Meyers once he showed to be the go-to guy for Cam.  This is now two weeks in a row where we've been susceptible e to the outside toss/pitch.  Then, on the last drive, you all felt it to.  I went from calm to panicked in about 10 seconds as the Pats drove down field to possible win the game at the end.  I couldn't wrap my brain around the concept of losing this game after the first 55 minutes of feeling completely in control.  But, thanks to the Zimmer and "Next Man Up Marlow", we got to see Cam sitting on the sideline in total shame and despair and Josh take the knee.  24 points should have been enough to keep this a stress-free game, but Frazier and the defense still showed we have a ways to go.

9 - The Hoodie - I've never hidden my disdain for the Cheat as I find him to be a poor example of winning at all costs.  You can call BS all you want, but I would trade one Super Bowl ring if it meant him being our coach.  His system only works when they win, and it's clear that's what earns him such a long leash with the players.  I've wondered if a primary reason for all their opts outs this season were because of the culture he creates.  I think his ego is ridiculous.  I think his son being on the defensive staff is ridiculous.  I still remember Brady throwing bombs to Moss in their 16-0 season because they were going for records.  I think about his press conferences, the way he pushes the rule book, and just overall demeanor.  I can go on forever, but it incensed me when they ran draws on 3rd and long, showing they had no respect for our offense.  His offensive kick backfiring into a touchdown felt amazing.  His timeouts while we were taking a knee rubbed me the wrong way too.  Yes, I'm bias in my dislike of him, and I couldn't be happier to see him walk off the field a loser today.

10 - McD - Gameball has to go to McD today for his first win against the Pats.  It may not have gone how anyone wanted it to, but a win is a win and we are 6-2 halfway through the season.  Our schedule doesn't get any easier next week, so this win was important.  We are one more division win from controlling all division tie breakers (don't even try to show me all the mathematical scenarios to prove me wrong, you know what I mean).  This was a solid win and had the defense played their part in the second half, would have been a solid win.  Great first half of the season and hopefully this gets the monkey off your back.

Shout out - Bass - It's easy to take for granted the 3 extra points and short Field Goal today, but Bass was solid against the win for all 4 kicks.  He misses even one of those, and we are possibly losing this game on the last drive.  All of his kicks were right down the middle.

*Disclaimed - If you are going to come on here and bash the close win against a depleted offense, just post it somewhere else.  In a week where the Dolphins embarrassed the Rams, Vikings ran over the Packers, and the Bengals crushed the Titans, any win in the conditions today is a positive.  If you can't be happy at 6-2, then there is no pleasing you.

Go Bills!

Great review - solid!

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I stand corrected.  Thought it made more sense to throw the ball toward sidline as opposed to inside. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Allen hater?  Bills fans are weird, I swear.

Then explain what your comment meant. You said it was typical to blame Diggs for the interception, inferring it was Allen 

4 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

All that needs to be said. It's embarrassing that Bills fans still post, "This should be an easy game." There are NO EASY GAMES and nothing in the Bills history has ever been or will ever be easy. That's what makes the four straight Super Bowls truly amazing and I'm in awe of the Patriots for their two decades of winning football. 

Yes  two decades of winning football is amazing if you played within rules.

• But Cheats had zebras help them "just give it to them & make up rules never applied before "Tuck rule".
  • Head coach skirted rules lines many times saying "he misunderstood NFL memos".
  • NFL buried multiple cheating scandals, changed schedule to allow key players to get healthy and allow players to get minor penalties for what other players got multigame suspensions for (i.e. Gronk's use of metal brace to attack a player post play).
  • Starting QB took less than market strategy while selling supplements to NFL teammates to make up difference.
  • Owner had deal with Russian president and former KGB head for spying help and all it cost him was a Superbowl ring and story about how he stole it.

Not as difficult and if you were as good as you claimed you would not need all of that.

24 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Then explain what your comment meant. You said it was typical to blame Diggs for the interception, inferring it was Allen 

You aren't new here.  There's often excuses for Allen's mistakes.

I recall last season a WR being blamed for not "playing defense" on a bad throw.

Edited by Chicken Boo

Moss looked so much quicker today.  I've never said he was a bust but have advocated for Yeldon over him until now.  I hope it was just hesitation or him trying to emulate Leveon Bell.  Whatever the case, he looked decisive and quick today with enough power to break tackles. Looked like a slightly taller version of Travis Henry, though both were listed at 5'9".

I think BB and son did a good job of confusing Josh and that kept the game close in the first half.

Davis has to make that catch

Hope McD explains why they went with Feliciano and not Bates at center.  

Great write-up @Virgil.

Thank you for mentioning today's upsets, it really goes to show just how not everything goes as expected in the NFL.

Welcome back, Jon Feliciano! I knew we missed him, just not as much as we saw from him today. It sucks losing Morse. If only we could have our line of Dawkins-Feliciano-Morse-Ford-Williams for once.

I like Gabriel Davis a lot, he's looked like a veteran all season. What a time for him to have a rookie moment. No excuses on that touchdown drop. At the same time, move on from it and get ready for more opportunities.

Loved our running game today, and it was great to see Zack Moss have a real breakout game. Motor had some good running plays too.

Whatever "Tornado" is, I enjoyed the results of it. We finally got John Brown back in the game.

Overall, Josh Allen had a solid game. He took what the Patriots* gave him and did good with it. Especially his touchdown run.

The defense continues to be an enigma. Solid play for nearly 3 quarters, and then it's as if they don't know how to play defense. UGH!

Some fans say that we won today because of luck with Cam Newton's fumble. Well you know what, there are times when bad luck happens in this game. You can also say the Allen's interception and Davis' dropped pass was bad luck too. It happens!

We're 6-2 at the halfway point and 4-0 in the division. Those are big accomplishments. Yes, there are things that need improvement, but the Bills are in a very good position and have a very real chance of winning the division. GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Some fans say that we won today because of luck with Cam Newton's fumble. Well you know what, there are times when bad luck happens in this game. You can also say the Allen's interception and Davis' dropped pass was bad luck too. It happens!

It is not bad luck when a player makes the effort.  Zimmer chased done Cam from behind.

It is luck when a Zebra does not call penalties which they did several times on P*ts defenders but it has to be anticipated.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Clueless one the Bills were already in lead in division so it was "Bills division to lose".   That means the P*ts lost for nothing.  

Sorry that means the Bills will have to screw up in order to lose the division now, if they had lost yesterday the Pats had a path to the division championship.