Why this game against the Patriots is NOWHERE NEAR monumental

StHustle

9 hours ago, Mickey said:

I don't feel this to be a big deal either way with regard to Brady. If he had stayed and we beat them and went on to win the division that would not wipe out the years of dominance and endless string of losses the Bills endured throughout his career.

So Brady finishing his career with the Pats having won the division EVERY freaking year he played there (IR year not counting) isnt much worse than if we at least won once??? I disagree. Getting shut out is way freaking worse.

Its like saying losing 24 - 0 is the same as losing 20 - 0. That goose egg is much worse imo than at least winning once. Going 0-4 in the superbowl is much worse than if we went 1-4. 

So no, taking the division from Brady only once doesn't wipe away years of dominance. If you read my OP you'd know I agree with that. HOWEVER, beating him at least once is better than letting this man ride off into the sunset having pitched a career shutout against us.

All games are almost equally important, with divisional games and conference games just slightly more so. And yes, non-conference games are also very important.

It is a sport with only 16 games. Nobody can claim one game isn't important unless you have already clinched a 1st round bye in the playoffs or can't possibly improve your playoff standing.

15 minutes ago, StHustle said:

So Brady finishing his career with the Pats having won the division EVERY freaking year he played there (IR year not counting) isnt much worse than if we at least won once??? I disagree. Getting shut out is way freaking worse.

Its like saying losing 24 - 0 is the same as losing 20 - 0. That goose egg is much worse imo than at least winning once. Going 0-4 in the superbowl is much worse than if we went 1-4. 

So no, taking the division from Brady only once doesn't wipe away years of dominance. If you read my OP you'd know I agree with that. HOWEVER, beating him at least once is better than letting this man ride off into the sunset having pitched a career shutout against us.

I don't get it. The Bills DID beat Brady a few times. Or are you saying specifically McDermott's Bills?

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

Yeah, one win against him in his old age would make all the difference. Some of us are long over obsessing on Brady, some, alas, will never get over it. Sure, its better to finish a season 1-15 than 0-16 but fact is you are still a loser either way. I'm looking forward, not back. I want to beat Pat M. and Lamar Jackson rather than turning back the clock to battles long since fought and, mostly, lost. 

2 hours ago, MJS said:

All games are almost equally important, with divisional games and conference games just slightly more so. And yes, non-conference games are also very important.

It is a sport with only 16 games. Nobody can claim one game isn't important unless you have already clinched a 1st round bye in the playoffs or can't possibly improve your playoff standing.

I don't get it. The Bills DID beat Brady a few times. Or are you saying specifically McDermott's Bills?

Im talking specifically sweeping them or winning the division. We had almost 20 seasons to do it and couldnt get it done. Not once. OUCH

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

Yeah, one win against him in his old age would make all the difference. Some of us are long over obsessing on Brady, some, alas, will never get over it. Sure, its better to finish a season 1-15 than 0-16 but fact is you are still a loser either way. I'm looking forward, not back. I want to beat Pat M. and Lamar Jackson rather than turning back the clock to battles long since fought and, mostly, lost. 

Maybe you didnt read the OP cause it was too long but you and many others are missing my point. The 2020 Pats might as well be a whole nother team. Beating them has nothing to do with our failure against the Brady/Bill combo. It doesnt make it better. Some people will celebrate it as if we cleared some hurdle. Part of moving forward is letting go of the Pats obsession. I think we are both saying the same thing.

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

So, what would you like the current Bills team to do about it now? They can't do anything. Literally. I don't get why you are upset about something that you have no control over and the Bills have no control over.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

Stop living in the past.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

So, what would you like the current Bills team to do about it now? They can't do anything. Literally. I don't get why you are upset about something that you have no control over and the Bills have no control over.

Geez my point is simply that beating today's Pats means ZIP, ZERO, ZILCH towards rectifying anything. We are now the favorites. Its not the same Bills vs Pats matchup that we would pray to win for the last two decades. Yet I see most fans viewing this game as they have in the past. Is my point so hard to understand? Once we win you'll see what I mean. A lot of over celebrating like we slayed the dragon. NO. The dragon has already died of old age. Its a new era in which I think the Dolphins will be our toughest division foe for years to come.

7 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Geez my point is simply that beating today's Pats means ZIP, ZERO, ZILCH towards rectifying anything. We are now the favorites. Its not the same Bills vs Pats matchup that we would pray to win for the last two decades. Yet I see most fans viewing this game as they have in the past. Is my point so hard to understand? Once we win you'll see what I mean. A lot of over celebrating like we slayed the dragon. NO. The dragon has already died of old age. Its a new era in which I think the Dolphins will be our toughest division foe for years to come.

Geez what? I mean if you think this game means... "ZIP, ZERO, ZILCH" I guess there isn't much to tell you. What fans are you talking about? This game is still an important and much needed win. It's a needed division win. The opportunity to "slay the dragon' has obviously passed. We missed that boat many many years ago. MOVE ON. 

Guess what, the Bills still need this win.

Monumental ? Nah.

But, a MUST, critically important Divisional Game? 
ABSOLUTELY!

After playing a Tire Fire for a generation, especially against the Cheatriots, it’s fun time to wax them! But like many here, I don’t care if they’ve shrunk to Little Sisters status- which they haven’t!

Winning this one means a 3 game cushion for the all important AFC-E title! Lose and you’re in trouble, as NE has the easier sked running out. And perhaps, the Fish.

Just win Baby!

They had plenty of chances to beat Brady and the Pats. They did it once or twice, right? I mean, I'm good with that because I reached my "Brady whoops the Bills" quota about 14 years ago so, I'm aboot done with all that. 

Times be changing, Pats on the downswing, Bills got their chance to go on top, gotta take advantage. 2-4 or not, Belichick will have this team ready. Hope it's a good one. As in...I hope Josh and the Boys rack up 35 first half points and blow 'em out of the water. 

3 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Geez what? I mean if you think this game means... "ZIP, ZERO, ZILCH" I guess there isn't much to tell you. What fans are you talking about? This game is still an important and much needed win. It's a needed division win. The opportunity to "slay the dragon' has obviously passed. We missed that boat many many years ago. MOVE ON. 

Guess what, the Bills still need this win.

Did you read my OP? I already stated what the win means. I know its important for us to win. My whole point is that many fans are putting an extra importance on this game that they shouldn't. And I thoroughly explained why. You say MOVE ON which is the exact same thing I'm saying. Move on and see the Patriots for what they are in this post Brady era. Just another divisional foe. Not some giant we need to slay. 

16 hours ago, eball said:

This and the “daddy issues” post sound like attempts to preemptively soothe some souls if the Bills lose Sunday.

Make no mistake about it — W/L records don’t matter in this one and it is the biggest game of McD’s coaching tenure.

I’d say last years wild card game vs Houston was a way bigger game. Wild card game vs Jax was too id imagine if you asked McDermott to rank games coached so far. 

7 hours ago, TBBills said:

You know what... this game is MONUMENTAL!

MUST WIN!

This ^^^ 

And I’m sure McD doesn’t want to go 0-7 against BB 

it’s a HUGE game ( for us ) no matter how you slice it !! 

Edited by Putin

🤦‍♂️

I admire the OPs gusto. But..

this game is HUUUGELY monumental. Post-game, should we win, we’ll find ourselves in complete control of the AFCE at just the midway point of the season. You have to go back 32 years to ‘88 for comparison (clinched the Division in week 11). Yes, it’s vs the Brady-less Patriots*, but they’ve OWNED the Division and -for the most part- the LEAGUE throughout this century. 

Drive the silver dagger into their ghoulish hearts and retrieve the sword from the stone!

Slay the dragon! GET IT DONE!

6 hours ago, Billznut said:

I’d say last years wild card game vs Houston was a way bigger game. Wild card game vs Jax was too id imagine if you asked McDermott to rank games coached so far. 

No, you’re completely missing the point.  Sure, those were “big” games, but the next step for this franchise is winning the East and getting the Pats*** monkey off their backs.  I understand why fans don’t want to throw all of their Bills eggs into one basket, but this is the most important game for Buffalo in a very long time.

36 minutes ago, eball said:

No, you’re completely missing the point.  Sure, those were “big” games, but the next step for this franchise is winning the East and getting the Pats*** monkey off their backs.  I understand why fans don’t want to throw all of their Bills eggs into one basket, but this is the most important game for Buffalo in a very long time.

It would be a terrible loss for a # of reasons.  The fact that it is the Patriots definitely is at the top of the list.

After three meh (or worse) performances in a row, trhe Bills do nee to assert themselves and just so happens it is New England (and the associated baggage). 

It’s a big game.

With no Edelman now, you have to believe the Patriots are going to try and ram the ball down the Bills throats.

And if the game plan is to do the exact opposite, this Bills defense can’t allow Jacoby Meyers as the #1 WR to burn them. 

6-2 before another tough stretch of games is all that matters.