Should Romo be an NFL coach?

stevestojan

1 hour ago, stevestojan said:

So, the responses are what I expected. Comfy life, less stress, and likely unmatched money. 

So let’s go down that path. Would you be OK if Terry offered him $5MM a year to be an advisor? Would he still be allowed to still commentate? Probably not. 

Sorry, I know this is a weird topic but the dude is so good at predicting plays. 

This is just a ridiculous idea.

We all (well most of us) agree that Romo is by far the best color commentator of all time. 

His ability to predict play calls is almost psychic. The man knows football. 

So, outside of money (and that has to be the reason) why isn’t he at least a coordinator? 

No, this isn’t a Chicken Little “the Bills should hire him” post. It’s just my reaction to watching him constantly read plays perfectly. 

Thoughts? 

Not sure there is any correlation between being a real good commentator and a successful head coach.  A much different skill set is required.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

Being an NFL coach is a grind.  You work long hours, don't get to see much of your family, etc.  You also have a lot of headaches to deal with and often have a short shelf-life.  Could Romo be a coach - probably yes.  But he makes a great living doing what he is doing and it's a much easier job and lifestyle.  If I was in his shoes, I would stick with broadcasting.

Coaching seems to age people as much as the oval office does except for coaches who did not put in a lot of work like Rex.

Just now, klos63 said:

Not sure there is any correlation between being a real good commentator and a successful head coach.  A much different skill set is required.

And Romo would be taking a huge paycut to work 5 times as hard. This makes sense.

We all (well most of us) agree that Romo is by far the best color commentator of all time. 

So, outside of money (and that has to be the reason) why isn’t he at least a coordinator? 

No, this isn’t a Chicken Little “the Bills should hire him” post. It’s just my reaction to watching him constantly read plays perfectly. 

Thoughts? 

It's easier to guess the plays than to call them.

• Like (+1) 1

Best color commentator of all time? I'm not sure. That's quite a claim. He's good at it.

I think it comes down to his desire to coach or not. Coaching, quite honestly, seems like a sucky job. Very, very long hours. High stress. Low job security. Moving your family around a lot.

Yeah, you can make money doing it, but he already has money AND already makes a ton of money in his current job, working far fewer hours with little to no stress.

I'd bet no. He wouldn't want to. But if he has the itch, he might. Coaches are coaches because they love coaching. It takes more than loving football. He has the perfect job already for a football lover. You have to love coaching. It's very different than what he does not.

Edited by MJS

Several million $ for a part time gig, vs. working 18 hours a day and not guaranteed of success.  Just sayin.  I was almost surprised Gruden went back to coaching as he was making I think $5 mil, for a part time gig.  I know he made the $100 mil. for 10 years, but that is a lot of work for that $.  He must have really missed the excitement, and given it didn’t end well in Tampa, I guess I understand.  Besides his kids went off to college So maybe that was a motivator.  I just don’t see Romo or Manning or anyone else like that Going into coaching.  Usually it’s the Alex Van Pelts of the world who go into coaching.

3 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Thoughts? 

No... I want him to be an announcer.

3 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Being an NFL coach is a grind.  You work long hours, don't get to see much of your family, etc.  You also have a lot of headaches to deal with and often have a short shelf-life.  Could Romo be a coach - probably yes.  But he makes a great living doing what he is doing and it's a much easier job and lifestyle.  If I was in his shoes, I would stick with broadcasting.

Yes...this is it.  To put this into perspective, Bill Belichick is the highest paid coach in the NFL at $12 million.  He easily works 7 days a week during season and I’m sure he works at least 6 days a week in the offseason.  He’s always miserable because coaching is a grind and it’s a super stressful and detail oriented job.  

Meanwhile Romo earned $17.5 million a year to work a maximum of 3-4 days during the week including travel days during the season.  I don’t think he does much for CBS in the off season.  

Plus Romo already financially set from his playing days.  So to be a head coach, he’d have to work more days, longer hours, with more stress and take at least a $5 million pay cut to coach.  

I think most of us would do what Romo does - enjoy our money and spend a lot of time golfing 

50 minutes ago, klos63 said:

isn't he making about $15 million a year?

$17.5

Edited by JohnNord

I'm sure that a color analyst puts in a fair amount of film study in preparation for his announcing assignment on the weekend, but it doesn't begin to compare to the year round work that a coach has to put in in order to be successful.  Coaches have to have an obsession with their work.  Tony Romo has a real good feel for what's happening on the field and an uncanny ability to anticipate.  Only he can say whether or not he's sufficiently obsessed with the game to put up with the time demands, frustrations and extreme pressure than come with the job.

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Yes...this is it.  To put this into perspective, Bill Belichick is the highest paid coach in the NFL at $12 million.  He easily works 7 days a week during season and I’m sure he works at least 6 days a week in the offseason.  He’s always miserable because coaching is a grind and it’s a super stressful and detail oriented job.  

Meanwhile Romo earned $17.5 million a year to work a maximum of 3-4 days during the week including travel days during the season.  I don’t think he does much for CBS in the off season.  

Plus Romo already financially set from his playing days.  So to be a head coach, he’d have to work more days, longer hours, with more stress and take at least a $5 million pay cut to coach.  

I think most of us would do what Romo does - enjoy our money and spend a lot of time golfing 

$17.5

That's crazy. He's a great commentator , no doubt, but it's not like people wouldn't watch the top game of the week without him on the broadcast.

6 hours ago, msw2112 said:

This basically what I would have posted.

Why would Romo give up such a great gig that he clearly enjoys and is paid handsomely for the kind of life that these coaches in the NFL have to live. In his current gig, everyone love him and he has very little if any pressure.

Edited by Peter

If Romo could have actually applied what he appears to know,  he should have been the best qb ever. 

He's a very good commentator and gives perspective that no other does.  

That's where it ends with this guy. 

NFL coach?  Not even close. He couldn't even handle place holder responsibilities...

15 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

If Romo could have actually applied what he appears to know,  he should have been the best qb ever. 

He's a very good commentator and gives perspective that no other does.  

That's where it ends with this guy. 

NFL coach?  Not even close. He couldn't even handle place holder responsibilities...

To me Romo comes across as to much of a pushover to take seriously IMO.