And the 2024 Race Begins

It's unmistakable now on the Republican side -- the jockeying for position to be the 2024 nominee. (That doesn't mean the Democrats won't see it soon ... just not quite yet.) Some strategic distancing from Trump vs. 100% fealty to Trump and everywhere in between.

Ben Sasse, young gun with a big anti-Trumpism streak:  https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/gop-sen-sasse-unleashes-scathing-attack-trump-tv-obsessed-narcissist-n1243701

My take: well-positioned IF Biden wins in a landslide and the Senate flips. That would be the death of Trumpism. Otherwise, not so much.

Chris Christie: https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/new-jersey/2020/10/15/chris-christie-wrong-not-wear-mask-prevent-covid-19/3671439001/

What? You thought he was going away? Threading the needle -- Trump supporter but not Trump toady. I don't see it happening, but who knows.

Mitt Romney: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/romney-confirm-amy-coney-barrett-supreme-court

A very young 70, positively spritely compared to our two candidates this year. Anti-Trump in some things, well positioned for a 2020 Dem landslide. Call him the Republicans 2024 version of the Dems' Biden 2020. Impeachment? Yes. ACB confirmation? Yes too. Bring those country club Republicans back into the Republican fold.

Tom Cotton:  https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/09/think-donald-trump-is-bad-president-tom-cotton-would-be-even-more-terrifying

Positioning himself as a smarter, younger Trump. The young anti-Ben Sasse. If Trump wins or its a fairly narrow defeat, he's right there to pick up the mantle.

Oh, there'll be more ... lots more. Probably a Republican 2024 version of the 2020 Democratic primary circus ...

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It's unmistakable now on the Republican side -- the jockeying for position to be the 2024 nominee. (That doesn't mean the Democrats won't see it soon ... just not quite yet.) Some strategic distancing from Trump vs. 100% fealty to Trump and everywhere in between.

Ben Sasse, young gun with a big anti-Trumpism streak:  https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/gop-sen-sasse-unleashes-scathing-attack-trump-tv-obsessed-narcissist-n1243701

My take: well-positioned IF Biden wins in a landslide and the Senate flips. That would be the death of Trumpism. Otherwise, not so much.

Chris Christie: https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/new-jersey/2020/10/15/chris-christie-wrong-not-wear-mask-prevent-covid-19/3671439001/

What? You thought he was going away? Threading the needle -- Trump supporter but not Trump toady. I don't see it happening, but who knows.

Mitt Romney: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/romney-confirm-amy-coney-barrett-supreme-court

A very young 70, positively spritely compared to our two candidates this year. Anti-Trump in some things, well positioned for a 2020 Dem landslide. Call him the Republicans 2024 version of the Dems' Biden 2020. Impeachment? Yes. ACB confirmation? Yes too. Bring those country club Republicans back into the Republican fold.

Tom Cotton:  https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/09/think-donald-trump-is-bad-president-tom-cotton-would-be-even-more-terrifying

Positioning himself as a smarter, younger Trump. The young anti-Ben Sasse. If Trump wins or its a fairly narrow defeat, he's right there to pick up the mantle.

Oh, there'll be more ... lots more. Probably a Republican 2024 version of the 2020 Democratic primary circus ...

Good post.  Marco Rubio might be their guy.  Swing state, Hispanic, relatively smart.  But very timely discussion given Sasse’s departure from Trumpworld yesterday.  Others soon will follow because this thing is in the bag for Biden and Trumpism is on its way out.  Nobody with a future will want to carry the stink of Trump on November 4. 

10 minutes ago, shoshin said:

If the Reps stay Trumpist, it's Ted Cruz. He's a smarter Trump. 

That's an interesting one. He's certainly hitched his wagon to Trump ... it's almost as if his recent past of wanting to shut down the government over the debt limit never happened ...

6 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Good post.  Marco Rubio might be their guy.  Swing state, Hispanic, relatively smart.  But very timely discussion given Sasse’s departure from Trumpworld yesterday.  Others soon will follow because this thing is in the bag for Biden and Trumpism is on its way out.  Nobody with a future will want to carry the stink of Trump on November 4. 

If Trump wins Florida with a strong Latino vote but loses the election, Rubio probably stands to gain in status within the party. It could be the tack to a "more inclusive pro-immigration Republican Party" that they tried -- and failed to accomplish -- after 2012. Otherwise, I think his moment has passed.

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

That's an interesting one. He's certainly hitched his wagon to Trump ... it's almost as if his recent past of wanting to shut down the government over the debt limit never happened ...

If Trump wins Florida with a strong Latino vote but loses the election, Rubio probably stands to gain in status within the party. It could be the tack to a "more inclusive pro-immigration Republican Party" that they tried -- and failed to accomplish -- after 2012. Otherwise, I think his moment has passed.

Maybe you’re right on Rubio.  But I am hearing otherwise from DC circles.  Personally I think he’s a bit of a lightweight, but I guess that’s for donors and party people to decide. 

And I forgot to mention Pence. Hard to imagine he'll have any staying power unless Trump wins. But squint really hard and you could see him moving toward the Bush 41 "kinder and gentler" version of Trump during the Kamala debate, particularly with his closing.

The nightmare scenario, from my perspective: Trump loses but tries to do a Grover Cleveland, running again in 2024. Or he hands over the Trump Party mantle to Ivanka or Don Jr.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

And I forgot to mention Pence. Hard to imagine he'll have any staying power unless Trump wins. But squint really hard and you could see him moving toward the Bush 41 "kinder and gentler" version of Trump during the Kamala debate, particularly with his closing.

The nightmare scenario, from my perspective: Trump loses but tries to do a Grover Cleveland, running again in 2024. Or he hands over the Trump Party mantle to Ivanka or Don Jr.

ugh on the Grover Cleveland scenario.  But plausible.  I’d have to imagine that the party would do everything it could to avoid a mess like that.  But it’s a valid point and it makes me wonder whether they’ll try to clear the room and coalesce around a candidate sooner than later to suck the air out of Trump.  

Just now, SectionC3 said:

ugh on the Grover Cleveland scenario.  But plausible.  I’d have to imagine that the party would do everything it could to avoid a mess like that.  But it’s a valid point and it makes me wonder whether they’ll try to clear the room and coalesce around a candidate sooner than later to suck the air out of Trump.  

If Trump loses but it's close -- not so close that all those "throw the election to the House" scenarios happen, but close enough -- I don't see him going away. He will refuse to go out a "loser." So I would fully expect him to try to keep his base and retain control of the Republican Party up through the 2024 primaries.

For some old school mainstream Republicans a landslide Biden/Senate win is probably the best thing that could happen.

57 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Yup, and soon to follow will be all these Trump supporting posters who will be denying supporting him soon. 

23 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I hope so. The Trump's have been very good to the Democratic party 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, wnyguy said:

I gotta agree, at this moment Cruz seems a strong candidate.

But isn't he the Zodiac killer?

31 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Trump will be too old in 2024.

You'd have to wonder about Trump Jr. It seems like the public scrutiny isn't worth it to be in office at his age. Ivanka doesn't seem to have political aspirations. Eric is well Eric.

13 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

But isn't he the Zodiac killer?

Trump will be too old in 2024.

You'd have to wonder about Trump Jr. It seems like the public scrutiny isn't worth it to be in office at his age. Ivanka doesn't seem to have political aspirations. Eric is well Eric.

It's not like he's gaining on Biden ... he'll still be the younger man in 2024. Rematch, baby!

As for Ivanka -- I don't believe for a second that she has no political aspirations. In fact I just watched the Trump townhall thing and he talked about "our first woman president" and how it won't be Hillary, it'll be someone else. And he ain't talking about Kamala .... if Ivanka survives the Trump Org scrutiny, she's still the chosen one.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It's not like he's gaining on Biden ... he'll still be the younger man in 2024. Rematch, baby!

As for Ivanka -- I don't believe for a second that she has no political aspirations. In fact I just watched the Trump townhall thing and he talked about "our first woman president" and how it won't be Hillary, it'll be someone else. And he ain't talking about Kamala .... if Ivanka survives the Trump Org scrutiny, she's still the chosen one.

I don't think Biden is running in 2024 if he wins 2020 either.

Maybe he was talking about Tiffany?

• 2 years later...

Nice ratio in a 2 year old thread.

You've chosen to ignore content by The Frankish Reich. Options 

You've chosen to ignore content by SectionC3. Options 

You've chosen to ignore content by Backintheday544. Options 

You've chosen to ignore content by Tiberius. Options 

You've chosen to ignore content by BillStime. Options 

• Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Nice ratio in a 2 year old thread.

You've chosen to ignore content by Tiberius. Options 

You've chosen to ignore content by BillStime. Options 

you are not missing anything of importance. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Of course, there is this possibility, which should not be discounted:

He hasn’t even really been president.  

In name only.   

Nothing would come as a surprise.  

• Agree 2

Black support for Republicans has been trending up the last decade, though slowly.

Expect Democrats to turn up the “racism!” message to 11 and beyond as election day draws near next year. Stay tuned.

Screenshot-2023-05-08-at-4.06.24-PM-600x

BEHIND THE LEFT’S ADDICTION TO RACISM

As is well known, the problem with addiction is that it requires larger and larger doses to get results, until it becomes fatally destructive to the addict.

This medical fact may well be a political fact for the left, as its obsession with all things race has lead it progressively over the last generation to find more and more of it, requiring ever more outlandish remedies, such as trillion-dollar reparations proposals.

There’s a simple electoral logic of this for the Democratic Party: without high black turnout and the heavy Democratic skew of the black vote, Democrats stand to lose more elections.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2023/05/behind-the-lefts-addiction-to-racism.php

• Like (+1) 1

"The ever-controversial former president's lead hasn't disappeared or even diminished in recent weeks, despite being charged with numerous crimes."

"In the most recent poll reading, Trump stands at 55% support, up from 47% in April and 51% in March. His nearest challenger, Ron DeSantis, claims 17% of the GOP's voters, down from 23% in April and 21% in March. Do the math: Trump has extended his lead over the popular Florida governor to 38 percentage points, versus 24 percentage points last month and 28 percentage points in March. No other Republican candidate reaches double-digit support."

From "Even Amid Trump's Legal Troubles, His Lead Widens: I&I/TIPP Trump leads DeSantis 55%-17% in the GOP Primary" (TIPP Insights).

https://tippinsights.com/even-amid-trumps-legal-troubles-his-lead-widens-i-i-tipp/

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Of course it is election interference!

That is the whole point of these proceedings.

And to not be able to speak out or defend himself while these goobers can say anything they want!? Incredible. 

Judge Sets Donald Trump’s Criminal Trial for Middle of Republican Primary in March 2024

The New York judge presiding over former President Donald Trump’s criminal case on Tuesday scheduled a trial date on March 25, 2024, just weeks after the Republican presidential primary’s “Super Tuesday,”

Trump appeared virtually before Judge Juan Merchan, seated beside his attorney, Todd Blanche.

During the hearing, Merchan reviewed the terms of a protective order prohibiting Trump from sharing any evidence the prosecutor exchanges with his attorneys on social media.

The protective order said evidence may not be shared or posted to “any news or social media platforms, including, but not limited, to Truth Social, Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Snapchat, or YouTube, without prior approval from the Court.”

Trump said the judge “violated” his First Amendment rights by implementing the protective order. He also accused Merchan of engaging in “ELECTION INTERFERENCE,” by setting the trial in the middle of the Republican presidential primary.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/23/politics/donald-trump-protective-order-hearing/index.html

CHRIS QUEEN: Democrat Déjà Vu: This Election Feels Like 1980 All Over Again in Many Ways. 

“From the outside looking in at the Democrats, it seems like they would want to shake themselves loose from the oblivious octogenarian Biden, but they can’t seem to quit him.

I’m old enough to remember the last time an incumbent Democrat who was sinking the country into oblivion became the standard-bearer in his quest for a second term. Of course, I’m talking about Jimmy Carter in 1980, and the road to 2024 so far feels like déjà vu for that election.”

https://pjmedia.com/columns/chris-queen/2023/05/23/democrat-deja-vu-this-election-feels-like-1980-all-over-again-in-many-ways-n1697419

• Like (+1) 1

"The 18% of Americans who are satisfied with the state of the nation today is about half of the 35% historical average."

"Gallup has measured national satisfaction since 1979. The lowest reading was 7% in October 2008 during the height of the financial crisis. The high point was 71% in February 1999 during the dot-com boom and after the Senate acquitted President Bill Clinton in his impeachment trial.

Currently, 33% of Democrats, 18% of independents and 4% of Republicans are satisfied."

The question asked is: "In general, are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way things are going in the United States at this time?"

https://news.gallup.com/poll/506513/mood-remains-glum-satisfied-state-nation.aspx

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b6un9kxnh497xk37hx44

• Like (+1) 1

RON HART: “Let’s face it. “Gun to the head” honest, only 5% of the country would let Joe Biden watch their kid for an hour while they ran to the store.

He has been the worst president of modern times. Even Jimmy Carter started comparing him to Jimmy Carter.”

Trump’s younger than Biden, and much more together, but to be honest, he’s lost a step. He’s not the Trump of 2016.

Plus: “Dems had to move their first primary out of Iowa. Iowa is one of the top ten states in work ethic, literacy and graduation rates.

There is no way that state should be picking the best Democrat nominee; it is the least representative of their current party.”

https://dailycaller.com/2023/05/31/hart-how-the-presidential-primaries-are-shaping-up/

• Like (+1) 1

Talking to my daughter who is 18 in March, they all know the Republicans are not a serious governing party. The culture war is a clever ruse to distract from the rights they want to strip from Americans. Her friends all know the right have no fresh ideas or platform planks, only hate and restriction. Gen Z hates that *****. 2024 is the right's last chance to convert to dictatorship to remain in power. After that, my parents' generation will be dead and Gen Z will be in charge. Better ban voting soon!

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurmal34 said:

Talking to my daughter who is 18 in March, they all know the Republicans are not a serious governing party. The culture war is a clever ruse to distract from the rights they want to strip from Americans. Her friends all know the right have no fresh ideas or platform planks, only hate and restriction. Gen Z hates that *****. 2024 is the right's last chance to convert to dictatorship to remain in power. After that, my parents' generation will be dead and Gen Z will be in charge. Better ban voting soon!

having political views that align with children that have no life experience or responsibility isn't the declaration you think it is.

becoming a mother may change her mind on abortion.

paying more in taxes or having to pay for simple things like starting a buisness, improve her home with the compounding of gov oversight fees and red tape may change her mind on size of gov and social programs.

losing a opportunity that was reserved strictly for women or viewing her race as a disqualifier may plunge her into the "hateful" culture war that is being fought today.

lots of things including being drafted into WW3 can change a childs mind in the future.

Edited by Buffarukus
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Thurmal34 said:

Democracy is dead if you don’t vote for biden. Kinda like you ain’t black if you vote for Trump. LoL

Smells like desperation on your part. 

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

YouGov specialises in market research and opinion polling through online methods. The company's methodology involves obtaining responses from an invited group of Internet users, and then weighting these responses in line with demographic information.

They dont call, people log on and complete the polls, that's unscientific.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouGov

Black rock owned. 

meh.

Here’s The Single Most Important Question 2024 GOP Presidential Candidates Must Answer

by Ben Weingarten

There is one fundamental question that any candidate vying for the Republican nomination for president of the United States in 2024 must answer — but that as of yet has gone largely unaddressed, at least publicly, as the field spars over significant but ultimately subordinate issues.

The question is this: How will you win the general election under the present voting system?

An inability to answer this question clearly, compellingly, and convincingly imperils Republican odds of retaking the White House, no matter how favorable their prospects might look come next November. It is incumbent on anyone who wants to earn the Republican presidential nomination to answer this question at the outset

https://thefederalist.com/2023/06/06/heres-the-single-most-important-question-2024-gop-presidential-candidates-must-answer/

18 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Here’s The Single Most Important Question 2024 GOP Presidential Candidates Must Answer

by Ben Weingarten

There is one fundamental question that any candidate vying for the Republican nomination for president of the United States in 2024 must answer — but that as of yet has gone largely unaddressed, at least publicly, as the field spars over significant but ultimately subordinate issues.

The question is this: How will you win the general election under the present voting system?

An inability to answer this question clearly, compellingly, and convincingly imperils Republican odds of retaking the White House, no matter how favorable their prospects might look come next November. It is incumbent on anyone who wants to earn the Republican presidential nomination to answer this question at the outset

https://thefederalist.com/2023/06/06/heres-the-single-most-important-question-2024-gop-presidential-candidates-must-answer/

Trump thinks he won last time. He thinks he is the president now. 

image.png.2caac65b9295cdc106116c882a19fa26.png