And the 2024 Race Begins

It's unmistakable now on the Republican side -- the jockeying for position to be the 2024 nominee. (That doesn't mean the Democrats won't see it soon ... just not quite yet.) Some strategic distancing from Trump vs. 100% fealty to Trump and everywhere in between.

Ben Sasse, young gun with a big anti-Trumpism streak:  https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/gop-sen-sasse-unleashes-scathing-attack-trump-tv-obsessed-narcissist-n1243701

My take: well-positioned IF Biden wins in a landslide and the Senate flips. That would be the death of Trumpism. Otherwise, not so much.

Chris Christie: https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/new-jersey/2020/10/15/chris-christie-wrong-not-wear-mask-prevent-covid-19/3671439001/

What? You thought he was going away? Threading the needle -- Trump supporter but not Trump toady. I don't see it happening, but who knows.

Mitt Romney: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/romney-confirm-amy-coney-barrett-supreme-court

A very young 70, positively spritely compared to our two candidates this year. Anti-Trump in some things, well positioned for a 2020 Dem landslide. Call him the Republicans 2024 version of the Dems' Biden 2020. Impeachment? Yes. ACB confirmation? Yes too. Bring those country club Republicans back into the Republican fold.

Tom Cotton:  https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/09/think-donald-trump-is-bad-president-tom-cotton-would-be-even-more-terrifying

Positioning himself as a smarter, younger Trump. The young anti-Ben Sasse. If Trump wins or its a fairly narrow defeat, he's right there to pick up the mantle.

Oh, there'll be more ... lots more. Probably a Republican 2024 version of the 2020 Democratic primary circus ...

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It's unmistakable now on the Republican side -- the jockeying for position to be the 2024 nominee. (That doesn't mean the Democrats won't see it soon ... just not quite yet.) Some strategic distancing from Trump vs. 100% fealty to Trump and everywhere in between.

Ben Sasse, young gun with a big anti-Trumpism streak:  https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/gop-sen-sasse-unleashes-scathing-attack-trump-tv-obsessed-narcissist-n1243701

My take: well-positioned IF Biden wins in a landslide and the Senate flips. That would be the death of Trumpism. Otherwise, not so much.

Chris Christie: https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/new-jersey/2020/10/15/chris-christie-wrong-not-wear-mask-prevent-covid-19/3671439001/

What? You thought he was going away? Threading the needle -- Trump supporter but not Trump toady. I don't see it happening, but who knows.

Mitt Romney: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/romney-confirm-amy-coney-barrett-supreme-court

A very young 70, positively spritely compared to our two candidates this year. Anti-Trump in some things, well positioned for a 2020 Dem landslide. Call him the Republicans 2024 version of the Dems' Biden 2020. Impeachment? Yes. ACB confirmation? Yes too. Bring those country club Republicans back into the Republican fold.

Tom Cotton:  https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/09/think-donald-trump-is-bad-president-tom-cotton-would-be-even-more-terrifying

Positioning himself as a smarter, younger Trump. The young anti-Ben Sasse. If Trump wins or its a fairly narrow defeat, he's right there to pick up the mantle.

Oh, there'll be more ... lots more. Probably a Republican 2024 version of the 2020 Democratic primary circus ...

Good post.  Marco Rubio might be their guy.  Swing state, Hispanic, relatively smart.  But very timely discussion given Sasse’s departure from Trumpworld yesterday.  Others soon will follow because this thing is in the bag for Biden and Trumpism is on its way out.  Nobody with a future will want to carry the stink of Trump on November 4. 

10 minutes ago, shoshin said:

If the Reps stay Trumpist, it's Ted Cruz. He's a smarter Trump. 

That's an interesting one. He's certainly hitched his wagon to Trump ... it's almost as if his recent past of wanting to shut down the government over the debt limit never happened ...

6 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Good post.  Marco Rubio might be their guy.  Swing state, Hispanic, relatively smart.  But very timely discussion given Sasse’s departure from Trumpworld yesterday.  Others soon will follow because this thing is in the bag for Biden and Trumpism is on its way out.  Nobody with a future will want to carry the stink of Trump on November 4. 

If Trump wins Florida with a strong Latino vote but loses the election, Rubio probably stands to gain in status within the party. It could be the tack to a "more inclusive pro-immigration Republican Party" that they tried -- and failed to accomplish -- after 2012. Otherwise, I think his moment has passed.

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

That's an interesting one. He's certainly hitched his wagon to Trump ... it's almost as if his recent past of wanting to shut down the government over the debt limit never happened ...

If Trump wins Florida with a strong Latino vote but loses the election, Rubio probably stands to gain in status within the party. It could be the tack to a "more inclusive pro-immigration Republican Party" that they tried -- and failed to accomplish -- after 2012. Otherwise, I think his moment has passed.

Maybe you’re right on Rubio.  But I am hearing otherwise from DC circles.  Personally I think he’s a bit of a lightweight, but I guess that’s for donors and party people to decide. 

And I forgot to mention Pence. Hard to imagine he'll have any staying power unless Trump wins. But squint really hard and you could see him moving toward the Bush 41 "kinder and gentler" version of Trump during the Kamala debate, particularly with his closing.

The nightmare scenario, from my perspective: Trump loses but tries to do a Grover Cleveland, running again in 2024. Or he hands over the Trump Party mantle to Ivanka or Don Jr.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

And I forgot to mention Pence. Hard to imagine he'll have any staying power unless Trump wins. But squint really hard and you could see him moving toward the Bush 41 "kinder and gentler" version of Trump during the Kamala debate, particularly with his closing.

The nightmare scenario, from my perspective: Trump loses but tries to do a Grover Cleveland, running again in 2024. Or he hands over the Trump Party mantle to Ivanka or Don Jr.

ugh on the Grover Cleveland scenario.  But plausible.  I’d have to imagine that the party would do everything it could to avoid a mess like that.  But it’s a valid point and it makes me wonder whether they’ll try to clear the room and coalesce around a candidate sooner than later to suck the air out of Trump.  

Just now, SectionC3 said:

ugh on the Grover Cleveland scenario.  But plausible.  I’d have to imagine that the party would do everything it could to avoid a mess like that.  But it’s a valid point and it makes me wonder whether they’ll try to clear the room and coalesce around a candidate sooner than later to suck the air out of Trump.  

If Trump loses but it's close -- not so close that all those "throw the election to the House" scenarios happen, but close enough -- I don't see him going away. He will refuse to go out a "loser." So I would fully expect him to try to keep his base and retain control of the Republican Party up through the 2024 primaries.

For some old school mainstream Republicans a landslide Biden/Senate win is probably the best thing that could happen.

57 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Yup, and soon to follow will be all these Trump supporting posters who will be denying supporting him soon. 

23 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I hope so. The Trump's have been very good to the Democratic party 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, wnyguy said:

I gotta agree, at this moment Cruz seems a strong candidate.

But isn't he the Zodiac killer?

31 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Trump will be too old in 2024.

You'd have to wonder about Trump Jr. It seems like the public scrutiny isn't worth it to be in office at his age. Ivanka doesn't seem to have political aspirations. Eric is well Eric.

13 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

But isn't he the Zodiac killer?

Trump will be too old in 2024.

You'd have to wonder about Trump Jr. It seems like the public scrutiny isn't worth it to be in office at his age. Ivanka doesn't seem to have political aspirations. Eric is well Eric.

It's not like he's gaining on Biden ... he'll still be the younger man in 2024. Rematch, baby!

As for Ivanka -- I don't believe for a second that she has no political aspirations. In fact I just watched the Trump townhall thing and he talked about "our first woman president" and how it won't be Hillary, it'll be someone else. And he ain't talking about Kamala .... if Ivanka survives the Trump Org scrutiny, she's still the chosen one.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It's not like he's gaining on Biden ... he'll still be the younger man in 2024. Rematch, baby!

As for Ivanka -- I don't believe for a second that she has no political aspirations. In fact I just watched the Trump townhall thing and he talked about "our first woman president" and how it won't be Hillary, it'll be someone else. And he ain't talking about Kamala .... if Ivanka survives the Trump Org scrutiny, she's still the chosen one.

I don't think Biden is running in 2024 if he wins 2020 either.

Maybe he was talking about Tiffany?

• 2 years later...