Big Tech/Social Media Censorship. Musk: Blackmailing Advertisers Can ***** Off.

A report from The Verge shows us that internal documents from the company reveal that since the Elon Musk acquisition of the company, user activity and growth has spiked significantly.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/7/23445476/elon-musk-twitter-user-growth-all-time-high-advertisers

Why, it would almost appear as if people are hungry for a free and open arena of ideas without the oppressive sword of censorship looming from on high.

• Shocked 1

On 11/7/2022 at 2:34 PM, reddogblitz said:

I am hoping for a R win of HOR and D win Senate or vice versa.  Keep both sides from being able to pass the crazy stuff they both want to.

Not vice versa. Dems deserve to lose the House - they took a narrow Presidential win in 2020 and acted as if they had a mandate to enact a left agenda. The course correction was inevitable. 
But Republicans can’t be trusted with the Senate. If some Democrat (I hope not Biden) wins the electoral college in 24 we can’t risk the Senate trying to negate the will of the people by post-election shenanigans. I’m sorry it’s come to this. The pre-2020 me would’ve been happy to see a Republican majority in the Senate now. Not anymore. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Not vice versa. Dems deserve to lose the House - they took a narrow Presidential win in 2020 and acted as if they had a mandate to enact a left agenda. The course correction was inevitable. 

Totally agree on this part. The won the president, a small majority in HOR, and really no majority in Senate yet as you say, they acted like they has a super majority and could cram down all the stuff they've Benn wanting to do for 40 years. Their majority wasn't even big enough to get all their own people to vote for it.

On 11/7/2022 at 4:34 PM, reddogblitz said:

I am hoping for a R win of HOR and D win Senate or vice versa.  Keep both sides from being able to pass the crazy stuff they both want to.

The R's can't pass anything they want even if they win both Houses.  They won't have a veto-overriding majority in either House.

Edited by Doc

6 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

But Republicans can’t be trusted with the Senate. If some Democrat (I hope not Biden) wins the electoral college in 24 we can’t risk the Senate trying to negate the will of the people by post-election shenanigans. I’m sorry it’s come to this. The pre-2020 me would’ve been happy to see a Republican majority in the Senate now. Not anymore. 

I think you have too little trust in the Republicans.  Pretty sure all of them voted to certify.  Unlike the Dems in 2016.

50 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Not only that, but it'll mean that basically no justices get confirmed for the next two years because the GOP only believes in power. They will leverage that power to keep as many vacancies as possible (no matter the harm) in case they win the White House in 2024.

8 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Not only that, but it'll mean that basically no justices get confirmed for the next two years because the GOP only believes in power. They will leverage that power to keep as many vacancies as possible (no matter the harm) in case they win the White House in 2024.

Good point. The McConnell-Garland trick was a low point for an institution that I thought couldn’t go any lower. 

47 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Good point. The McConnell-Garland trick was a low point for an institution that I thought couldn’t go any lower. 

Well, you see, you can’t seat a judge in an election year and that’s why we can’t even interview Garland. 

Also, you can seat a judge whenever you want, so we need to get Amy Coney Barrett on the court in a matter of weeks. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

I guess spending billions of dollars on recreating Second Life wasn’t the most fiscally responsible move. 

They make my kid use VR goggles for a college foreign language class. Something about it lowering your inhibitions in trying to converse in a new language. They all think it’s the stupidest thing they’ve ever had to do for any class since kindergarten.  If you’ve lost the 18-21 year olds, who are you gonna convince? The day my job tries to replace the horrors of Zoom calls with Meta VR avatars is the day I retire. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, BillStime said:

Things are going well in Muskville

Along this line- why do people see a checkmark and think "this must be a smart honest person" or even really the person? Stupid people care about the checkmark and we can't do enough to protect them from themselves.

39 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Tell me again how all of Twitter’s problems are due to liberal boycotts campaigns:

How about you give us all a heads up on when plan to stop posting strawmen?

I won't hold my breath.

I mean cmon man, Musk has told us Twitter has and will continue to make mistakes.  It's right up your alley dude!

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Something tells me @ChiGoose much preferred the pre Elon twitter when accounts and voices from the right were unquestionably silenced.

I wonder why that is?

Well, that’s not the reason I think Elon buying Twitter is bad and dumb. 

I don’t have strong opinions on the twitter content moderation debate. You can curate your Twitter experience and if you find something objectionable, you can block that account. That worked fine for me. 

The issue I’m pointing out here is that he seems to think that the Checkmark was a product for those who received them. It’s more important as an indication to other users that the person is who they say they are. 

That is no longer the case. Anyone pay for a checkmark without validating their identity. 

Brands are small-c conservative with decisions like ad buys. Why would a brand pay money to advertise on a platform where anyone can convincingly impersonate them and harm their reputation?

Revamping content moderation is fine. Combining the blue check with twitter blue and removing the validation requirement likely just killed the platform. 

• Agree 1

It's so fun to watch Elon ruin everything he achieved. 

17 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

Something tells me @ChiGoose much preferred the pre Elon twitter when accounts and voices from the right were unquestionably silenced.

I wonder why that is?

If I threaten your family on here daily is that free speech? 

22 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

Good news everyone! Lol

Looking back at this and I think you could probably make a good chunk of change shorting a company and then creating a fake account on Twitter that posts in ways to harm the brand. 

Eli Lilly’s stock took a hit right around when this went viral. 

Edited by ChiGoose

8 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

I’m going to miss Twitter when it goes down permanently soon, but at least it’s end has been glorious 

This is amazing to me that with it known that for the time being not everyone on Twitter is who they say they are that liberals are too dumb to stop and think if any tweet is real. This will not stand in the long term but if Twitter learns quickly it will be a small bump in the road.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

This is amazing to me that with it known that for the time being not everyone on Twitter is who they say they are that liberals are too dumb to stop and think if any tweet is real. This will not stand in the long term but if Twitter learns quickly it will be a small bump in the road.

Lol

Omnicom, one of the world’s biggest ad firms, representing brands like McDonald’s, Apple, and PepsiCo, is recommending clients pause spending on Twitter, according to an internal memo obtained by The Verge.

“The memo cites the deep layoffs of Twitter trust and safety teams, the resignations of high-profile executives, and the slew of “verified” impersonation accounts as being key issues for advertisers. There is “evidence that the risk to our clients’ brand safety has risen sharply to a level most would find unacceptable,” the memo reads. “We recommend pausing activity on Twitter in the short term until the platform can prove it has reintroduced safeguards to an acceptable level and has regained control of its environment.”

No surprises there. Odd that they didn’t list liberal boycotts as one of the reasons though…

15 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

Libs are just pissed that their echo chamber is gone.  So they'll chortle at the early stumbles.  But it's not going anywhere.

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Libs are just pissed that their echo chamber is gone.  So they'll chortle at the early stumbles.  But it's not going anywhere.

Sure, keep telling yourself that. If you believe that Elon’s ownership of Twitter is going to end well, I have some crypto you can buy. 

All you need to prove former liberal activism and censorship on Twitter is one massive, memory holed anecdote.  But of course there are thousands more.

Brute censoring the NY Post Hunter Biden laptop story.

End of story.

Advertisers had no problem when Twitter did that.  

I wonder why?

Edited by BillsFanNC

6 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Sure, keep telling yourself that. If you believe that Elon’s ownership of Twitter is going to end well, I have some crypto you can buy. 

Hes unorthodox for sure.  

User activity hit an all time high this past week and he’s beta testing in real time. 

Personally, i think it’s fascinating.  

The Twitter blue was an insane disaster though.  Can’t have too many more stumbles on that level … ie., stock prices tanking based on fake accounts making false announcements. 

Twitter will be fine though.  I think you may be more wishing for failure (long term) than expecting it. 

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Hes unorthodox for sure.  

User activity hit an all time high this past week and he’s beta testing in real time. 

Personally, i think it’s fascinating.  

The Twitter blue was an insane disaster though.  Can’t have too many more stumbles on that level … ie., stock prices tanking based on fake accounts making false announcements. 

Twitter will be fine though.  I think you may be more wishing for failure (long term) than expecting it. 

@ChiGoose rooting for more censorship and against free speech?

Say it ain't so!