Big Tech/Social Media Censorship. Musk: Blackmailing Advertisers Can ***** Off.

6 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

All you need to prove former liberal activism and censorship on Twitter is one massive, memory holed anecdote.  But of course there are thousands more.

Brute censoring the NY Post Hunter Biden laptop story.

End of story.

Advertisers had no problem when Twitter did that.  

I wonder why?

Easy. Advertisers are small-c conservative and just want a place to put their ads in front of people’s eyeballs without harming the brand. 

Agree or disagree with Twitter’s content moderation approach, it was fairly stable and predictable. Brands didn’t need to worry too much about unpredictable chaos or negative blowback to their ads. 

Had Musk simply come in and tweaked the content moderation policy towards something you would probably find more favorable, there probably wouldn’t be much backlash from the brands. 

However, he severely overpaid for the site and now has to make debt service payments that are bigger than Twitter’s annual revenues. To do that, he had to layoff large swaths of employees, including those whose primary job was brand safety. 

In addition, instead of spending time testing and tweaking new features to ensure they wouldn’t negatively impact the environment, the new Twitter Blue was rushed to market with deep flaws that would endanger brand safety. 

Instead of recognizing that this is exactly the kind of unpredictable environment that brands do not want to be a part of, Musk doubled down, stating that they would continue to try different things and some would be dumb. 

Applications have dev environments and test environments so you can do stringent testing on any new code or features before pushing to production. Instead, it looks like Twitter will just test everything in prod, causing further chaos. 

Brands like boring stability. Musk is pushing Twitter towards more chaos. 

That‘s why brands are leaving. 

Just now, BillsFanNC said:

@ChiGoose rooting for more censorship and against free speech?

Say it ain't so!

Just another strawman from someone who apparently can’t read. 

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Hes unorthodox for sure.  

User activity hit an all time high this past week and he’s beta testing in real time. 

Personally, i think it’s fascinating.  

The Twitter blue was an insane disaster though.  Can’t have too many more stumbles on that level … ie., stock prices tanking based on fake accounts making false announcements. 

Twitter will be fine though.  I think you may be more wishing for failure (long term) than expecting it. 

I very much don’t want Twitter to fail. I enjoy using it. I would love to be wrong here. 

I just think that Musk is a finance guy who has convinced himself that he’s an engineer and doesn’t understand what Twitter actually is. 

9 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

I very much don’t want Twitter to fail. I enjoy using it. I would love to be wrong here. 

I just think that Musk is a finance guy who has convinced himself that he’s an engineer and doesn’t understand what Twitter actually is. 

You realize that's literally the same thing everyone has said at every company he's started/taken over, right?

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

You realize that's literally the same thing everyone has said at every company he's started/taken over, right?

Sure, and he should be given more deference than the average owner because of that. 

But it doesn’t change the fact that adding $1 billion in extra costs and fostering a chaotic environment that increases brand risk is not a good strategy for running a company whose income is almost entirely from ads. 

3 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

I very much hope he flies it into the ground.  Don't worry, something else would replace it.  Maybe Tik Tok can come up with something?

Even with all its "content moderation" it is a great source of falsehoods. Its where we learned Michael Brown was running away from the police with his hands up when he was shot.  And where we learned Sandman and his friends accosted a minding his own business Indian yelling "Go back to your own country".   Its where the insurrectionists planned their insurrection.

Too much falsehood and waaaaaaay too much division fermented on there.  Its a net negative for American society IMHO.

But, have fun with it.

Edited by reddogblitz

3 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

He gave 92% of his money to Dems, but your point that some Republicans are scum bags is very true 

I think crypto is a scam and I’ve long thought it was a Ponzi scheme. The idea that the people involved were either idiots, scumbags or both is not surprising in the least. 

• Like (+1) 1

Markey-Twitter-Fake.png

Senator Ed Markey colluded with a WaPo reporter in a scheme to damage Twitter’s reputation

Elon Musk and Senator Ed Markey exchanged barbs on Twitter today over the question of Musk’s $8 blue check and potential abuse of the system by impersonators.

($8 blue check sounds like a promotional Taco Bell menu item under Joe Biden’s inflation.)

The exchange (linked above) is hilarious because Musk just doesn’t respect these people and it drives them insane. It’s also quite remarkable that a sitting U.S. Senator colluded with the Washington Post to violate Twitter’s Terms of Service (TOS) and then has the gall to whine to Elon Musk that the two managed to break the rules that they set out to break. Markey then went on to threaten congressional action against Musk when the billionaire laughed him off like the clown he is.

https://twitchy.com/fuzzychimp-313137/2022/11/13/senator-ed-markey-colluded-with-a-wapo-reporter-in-a-scheme-to-damage-twitters-reputation/

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Markey-Twitter-Fake.png

Senator Ed Markey colluded with a WaPo reporter in a scheme to damage Twitter’s reputation

Elon Musk and Senator Ed Markey exchanged barbs on Twitter today over the question of Musk’s $8 blue check and potential abuse of the system by impersonators.

($8 blue check sounds like a promotional Taco Bell menu item under Joe Biden’s inflation.)

The exchange (linked above) is hilarious because Musk just doesn’t respect these people and it drives them insane. It’s also quite remarkable that a sitting U.S. Senator colluded with the Washington Post to violate Twitter’s Terms of Service (TOS) and then has the gall to whine to Elon Musk that the two managed to break the rules that they set out to break. Markey then went on to threaten congressional action against Musk when the billionaire laughed him off like the clown he is.

https://twitchy.com/fuzzychimp-313137/2022/11/13/senator-ed-markey-colluded-with-a-wapo-reporter-in-a-scheme-to-damage-twitters-reputation/

Elon must find the idea that he needed help to damage twitters reputation hilarious, Musk is doing far better all on his own.

Edited by Warcodered

11 hours ago, B-Man said:

Markey-Twitter-Fake.png

Elon should have called him "Biz" Markey and said "you, you got what I need ($8)..."

On 11/16/2022 at 9:22 AM, ChiGoose said:

What would you do if your employer sent you this letter?

I would evaluate my performance as compared to expectation of my employer, consider if the salary/benefits offered were in line with the job, consider other job prospects available to me as it relates to points 1 and 2, and go from there. This messaging in and of itself wouldn’t bother me. 

That said, I’m self-employed and i would not send share this messaging in this way, but he certainly stepped right past the corporate bs that folks often complain about. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

Maybe, just maybe, people who are really smart at one thing are not smart at all things…

https://twitter.com/nitashatiku/status/1593399704636620800?s=46&t=dKLxCFzXUvMUKZsxnGXaQg

Twitter is like playing tiddly-winks compared to the other companies he's had fabulous success with.  Sometimes you have to take a step back to take 2 steps forward.

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

Twitter is like playing tiddly-winks compared to the other companies he's had fabulous success with.  Sometimes you have to take a step back to take 2 steps forward.

What company has succeeded after shedding ~75% of its workforce within a month?