Josh Allen needs to run the ball more

The first 4 games of this season were incredible. Allen’s improvement (as a passer) is truly remarkable. He’s starting to get respect across the league and making his doubters question themselves...All of that is wonderful. 

What makes Josh Allen special, are his legs. The best play the Bills offense has, is Allen running the ball. There is no reason to take that away from ourselves. There is plenty of data to support either side of the injury risk but you can’t play this game with fear of injury. Can Allen drop back and beat some bad teams with his arm? Sure. Is he going to beat the better Defenses that way? It’s yet to be seen.

IMO, we are at our best when Allen is making plays. Not only with his arm but also with his legs. The recklessness he plays with, can drive you crazy at times. But my biggest fear with this team, was them coaching the playmaker out of him. The last few games it seems like Allen has been told to scale back the running. I think the only way this team reaches its full potential, is to let Josh be Josh. It opens up so much for our offense and makes teams defend every blade of grass on virtually every play. We need to get that balance back and not try to become an offense that just drops back and passes 40 times a game.

• Like (+1) 3

I respectfully disagree.  I get where you are coming from, but a QB should be a QB and not a extra RB IMO.  If he goes down the season is over ... period.  So in no way do I intentionally put him in harms way multiple times a game and risk the entire season by him being injured.  Running is what you pay RB's for, use them.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

What makes Josh Allen special, are his legs.

No.

That's one of several things.

But if what made him special was his legs than he'd have been excellent the last two years when he had his best weapon. He wasn't. He was below average.

Just now, TroutDog said:

I like when he runs but would prefer it, generally, when a play breaks down. That’s enough to have the opposing D have to account for it. 

He can beat teams from the pocket. Even good ones. He’s don’t it this year and last. 

I agree. But it seems like in week 1 we ran him too much, but then totally stopped with designed runs the next 4. We need to find a middle ground. A few more opps with Allen and his legs should help freeze the LB’s. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mango said:

I agree. But it seems like in week 1 we ran him too much, but then totally stopped with designed runs the next 4. We need to find a middle ground. A few more opps with Allen and his legs should help freeze the LB’s. 

Agree completely. Changes what the D can do. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The first 4 games of this season were incredible. Allen’s improvement (as a passer) is truly remarkable. He’s starting to get respect across the league and making his doubters question themselves...All of that is wonderful. 

What makes Josh Allen special, are his legs. The best play the Bills offense has, is Allen running the ball. There is no reason to take that away from ourselves. There is plenty of data to support either side of the injury risk but you can’t play this game with fear of injury. Can Allen drop back and beat some bad teams with his arm? Sure. Is he going to beat the better Defenses that way? It’s yet to be seen.

IMO, we are at our best when Allen is making plays. Not only with his arm but also with his legs. The recklessness he plays with, can drive you crazy at times. But my biggest fear with this team, was them coaching the playmaker out of him. The last few games it seems like Allen has been told to scale back the running. I think the only way this team reaches its full potential, is to let Josh be Josh. It opens up so much for our offense and makes teams defend every blade of grass on virtually every play. We need to get that balance back and not try to become an offense that just drops back and passes 40 times a game.

I think Allen is just fine doing what he does best,  passing the football.  It's our defense that needs to create some turnovers and give him better field position that will help him out in future games.   

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

They stopped because teams started spying him.  So he then elected to torch them from the pocket. Titans game inefficiency on Offense last night was not having Smoke. There was no one to stretch the Defense. So could rush 3 and Cover 2 with 6 underneath. 

try to play that defense with Smoke on the field and the Bills Offense and Josh will get them out of that defense quick. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

what makes josh special are throws like the TD to Yeldon. A 30 yard rope into the numbers. He can attack the whole field. Now they need some more playmakers that do something once they have the ball. 

It's the same with Lamar.  When he doesn't run, or when he's hemmed in like he was vs. KC, he's like 50% effective at best.  

I think Allen needs to run a bit more on breakdowns.  Last night he got away from pressure, rolled right a few times and instead of taking the easy 8-10 and going out of bounds...he threw one low pass and one high pass.  I also think his running gets him a better feel for the game.

But overall I don't like the designed runs...only the ones he creates after a play breaks down.

Edited by zow2
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

They stopped because teams started spying him.  So he then elected to torch them from the pocket. Titans game inefficiency on Offense last night was not having Smoke. There was no one to stretch the Defense. So could rush 3 and Cover 2 with 6 underneath. 

try to play that defense with Smoke on the field and the Bills Offense and Josh will get them out of that defense quick. 

If we have to have 4 very good WR on the field to play our game, I respectfully suggest we need a different plan for the game.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If we have to have 4 very good WR on the field to play our game, I respectfully suggest we need a different plan for the game.

When there is no smoke (the vertical threat).  You see what you saw last night, safety over Diggs, Tight Zones underneath.  They stopped with the presnap motion because it was quickly evident the defense that the Titans were going to live or die by.  

It won't be a popular take but I agree 100%. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't see anyone spying him last night. The Titans were dropping everyone into coverage. He shouldn't be afraid to take off in that situation if the passing windows aren't there. I know they want to turn him into a passer first but they've neutered him IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

Allen can be a devastating runner so I’d agree with the OP that the offense needs to call more designed runs and RPOs for Allen but I think I understand why we aren’t.  I don’t think you can play scared of things like running your QB so I’m not opposed to doing so, especially with a huge one like Allen.  We’ve certainly done it in the past so I don’t think Daboll and McD are opposed either.

The injury risk can be mitigated somewhat by limiting the frequency of designed runs in games that are not close and drilling into Allen the importance of almost always sliding to avoid hits - even if it means 4th and 2 instead of 1st and 10.  I don’t think that’s it.  I think it’s his fumbles when he runs.  Coaches know that the turnover differential is a huge differentiating factor in wins and losses.  Fumbling also seems to hurt Allen’s focus and confidence and I think the coaches are trying to keep him sharp and confident. 

I can see the staff coming back to more designed runs in the future, but I think I see their reasons to minimize his running now. 

Allen is playing with a brace on his injured left shoulder.  A QB who is playing with an injured brace on his left shoulder for an injury that still lets him play effectively, probably shouldn't increase his risk of more injury.

It's also possible that the L shoulder injury may affect ball security, of which Allen needs more not less.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

When there is no smoke (the vertical threat).  You see what you saw last night, safety over Diggs, Tight Zones underneath.  They stopped with the presnap motion because it was quickly evident the defense that the Titans were going to live or die by.  

1) There is almost always more than one solution.  For example, last year we were hampered because Allen couldn't beat Blitz0 by throwing it deep.  Screens are another solution to that, we couldn't run a screen last year either.  This year, we can do both.    (this is just an example).

2) I would swear I saw presnap motion from the Bills in the 13:24 they had the ball in the 2nd half.

It seems, at times, that to get in a groove, he needs the physicality of a had run, of some contact even. When things are clicking, don't do it but when he is shaky like yesterday, let him loosen up by letting him run a few times. Anyway, he has been money when throwing while running, so designed pocket shifts are a must.