Josh Allen needs to run the ball more

14 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

I was about 20 yards away when Josh Allen ran over the Eastern Michigan defense...then he lowered his shoulder and broke his collarbone.  He is an amazing runner; but I think the Bills will see more success when he isn't running 10+ times a game.

Listen up here folks:This! 

Josh right now has an injured L shoulder he's playing and practicing with a brace on.

Banged Up Bills has a take on it:

QB Josh Allen (left shoulder)

Allen practiced in full every day despite the left shoulder designation from Sunday’s injury. The injury designation officially notes that he does have an injury and that it could affect his ability to play. The concern is that he has either an AC joint sprain, rotator cuff injury, or labral tear.

"He did have a brace on for Wednesday’s practice and kinesiotape on for Thursday’s practice. The hope is that he has the AC joint sprain & it’ll heal on its own. My worry still remains that he had more damage in there as mentioned above. I would anticipate to see some bracing on for Tuesday regardless of the injury." 

If you scroll down to Week 4, Bangedup explains that he could have a labral tear that would linger all season and require off season surgery; in any case, if he falls on it wrong again before it's fully healed, the injury could become worse.

So Allen needs to be strategically opportunistic about when he runs, as Tannehill was - as Mahomes is.  But to call designed runs or put him out as the lead blocker on a revers right now, with an injured shoulder he could injure worse - that's Crazy Talk.

He also needs to learn to hold on to the football better when he runs, and the injured L shoulder surely could not help in that regard.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

You didn’t happen to see the Cowboys game Sunday, did you?

Is that what this is how? A qb (that you don’t even think of as a runner) got hurt so now no other qb should run? How about the games where Lamar Jackson or Cam Newton run a lot and do well? Could those count? Or are we just looking for the 1 off bad examples? Alex Smith got hurt pretty bad and Brady missed an entire season once. Should qbs not stay in the pocket?

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t agree with that at all. He’s an excellent blocker and I doubt his speed is to far off of what most FBs are

I don't disagree that Lee Smith is an excellent blocker in the sense of a pass-blocking OLman, but he's not the nimble guy who can burst through the hole ahead of the RB and lay the lumber.  And please note that I said "mobility", which is different than speed.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Listen up here folks:This! 

Josh right now has an injured L shoulder he's playing and practicing with a brace on.

Banged Up Bills has a take on it:

QB Josh Allen (left shoulder)

Allen practiced in full every day despite the left shoulder designation from Sunday’s injury. The injury designation officially notes that he does have an injury and that it could affect his ability to play. The concern is that he has either an AC joint sprain, rotator cuff injury, or labral tear.

"He did have a brace on for Wednesday’s practice and kinesiotape on for Thursday’s practice. The hope is that he has the AC joint sprain & it’ll heal on its own. My worry still remains that he had more damage in there as mentioned above. I would anticipate to see some bracing on for Tuesday regardless of the injury." 

If you scroll down to Week 4, Bangedup explains that he could have a labral tear that would linger all season and require off season surgery; in any case, if he falls on it wrong again before it's fully healed, the injury could become worse.

So Allen needs to be strategically opportunistic about when he runs, as Tannehill was - as Mahomes is.  But to call designed runs or put him out as the lead blocker on a revers right now, with an injured shoulder he could injure worse - that's Crazy Talk.

He also needs to learn to hold on to the football better when he runs, and the injured L shoulder surely could not help in that regard.

...good call Hap......and if it gets worse and we have to summon the "bullpen" for Barkley long term, well you can fill in the blanks.......................

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Is that what this is how? A qb (that you don’t even think of as a runner) got hurt so now no other qb should run? How about the games where Lamar Jackson or Cam Newton run a lot and do well? Could those count? Or are we just looking for the 1 off bad examples? Alex Smith got hurt pretty bad and Brady missed an entire season once. Should qbs not stay in the pocket?

You’re not wrong.  It was just such a horrific injury, and it occurred on a play where the QB left the pocket, but statistically I don’t think running QB are at much greater risk.  

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...good call Hap......and if it gets worse and we have to summon the "bullpen" for Barkley long term, well you can fill in the blanks.......................

The thing is he didn't really run vs. LA or LV....  If an injury, then I get it.  If the Bills a neutering one of his strengths, that's another thing. 

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

You’re not wrong.  It was just such a horrific injury, and it occurred on a play where the QB left the pocket, but statistically I don’t think running QB are at much greater risk.  

For perspective, wasn't Alex Smith horrific injury IN the pocket?  Bradford was also injured all the time in the pocket.

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The thing is he didn't really run vs. LA or LV....  If an injury, then I get it.  If the Bills a neutering one of his strengths, that's another thing. 

Ran for a touch vs LA but he was also able to sling it all over the place so why run?

Injured before the half vs LV

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

..I agree.....if I remember correctly, Russell Wilson smartly became more selective as his career developed......he perhaps went from one read and run because of his athletic prowess to "when or even IF to run" , picking his spots........self preservation does have value....and....career longevity IMO......

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't disagree that Lee Smith is an excellent blocker in the sense of a pass-blocking OLman, but he's not the nimble guy who can burst through the hole ahead of the RB and lay the lumber.  And please note that I said "mobility", which is different than speed.

I just don’t see him as an issue in terms of being Mobil enough to play FB. But since we are here, might I suggest a better option: Knox? The guy can catch. Maybe FB could give him another way to effectively make a difference 

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..I agree.....if I remember correctly, Russell Wilson smartly became more selective as his career developed......he perhaps went from one read and run because of his athletic prowess to "when or even IF to run" , picking his spots........self preservation does have value....and....career longevity IMO......

Actually Russell has been pretty consistent wrt rushing.  Yes earlier in his career more, but still a threat.

Allen has fallen off a cliff.

Just watching Allen it looks like he has been more tentative. 

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Actually Russell has been pretty consistent wrt rushing.  Yes earlier in his career more, but still a threat.

...definitely still a threat....but didn't he go through a period of physical beatings because of a woeful OL?....hard to tell if Allen has fallen "off the cliff" on HIS decision or coaches' decision advocating "preservation".....

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...definitely still a threat....but didn't he go through a period of physical beatings because of a woeful OL?....hard to tell if Allen has fallen "off the cliff" on HIS decision or coaches' decision advocating "preservation".....

Preservation, and perhaps a little of not fumbling the football. Something our opposition had apparently started honing in on IMO.

It would not surprise me If the decision came from the top my OldTime friend.

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

If you watch him when he actually does take off like he did last night: no cliff.

Allen is looking to throw downfield more.  He is Dad.  He has 4-5 kids downfield wanna eat on each snap.  Gotta feed them kids.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you watch him when he actually does take off like he did last night: no cliff.

Allen is looking to throw downfield more.  He is Dad.  He has 4-5 kids downfield wanna eat on each snap.  Gotta feed them kids.

Like when he threw to Diggs in triple coverage???? 😡  Seemed like he just didn't want to run at times when opportunities were there.