Washington Post Does a deep dive on Josh Allens development so far

Whkfc

Brent Vigen cringed when he heard the question posed by an audacious freshman, one of the Wyoming quarterbacks on a Zoom call with a celebrated Cowboys alum. Josh Allen remains connected to the program where he developed into a first-round draft pick, and in May he joined players to offer advice and answer questions. After Allen detailed his quarantine workouts and offseason approach, the freshman piped up.

When you look back, what do you think of that last stretch against Houston in the playoffs?

Vigen, Wyoming’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach during Allen’s tenure and now, braced. The end of the Buffalo Bills’ first-round loss to the Texans included moments of virtuosity and insanity that define what both fans and detractors call the Josh Allen Experience. He underhanded a lateral over his tight end’s head while two defenders tackled him. He rifled an ill-advised, across-his-body dart for a first down. He hurdled a linebacker. Ultimately, the Bills squandered a 16-0 lead and lost in overtime.

And now, some 18-year-old had asked the program’s most famous alum about it.

But as Allen spoke, Vigen realized he had no need for worry. Allen took responsibility for the Bills’ collapse without deflection or anger. He diagnosed how he would have played differently. Most insightful, Allen pointed to the end of the first half. Coaches had play-called conservatively to set up a field goal rather than allow Allen to try for a touchdown. Allen explained he needed to change over the offseason for his coaches to see him in a new light, to trust him in those moments.

“I said, ‘Okay, this is a different Josh,’ ” Vigen said. “He got a taste last year, and now he’s hungrier than ever.”

Allen has emerged through the season’s first four weeks as one of the most improved and interesting players in the NFL, sneaking into the periphery of the MVP debate. He has captained the Bills to a 4-0 start, authored a barrage of highlights and ranks second in the league in passing yards (1,326) and third in touchdown passes (12) while completing 70.9 percent of his throws and running for three more scores.

Edited by Whkfc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

I think the following is the most relevant quote from the article -- there are very few athletes who are able to identify where they need to improve as well as he does.

The trait that Allen is rarely given enough credit for, Vigen believes, is his competitive intelligence — his willingness to identify what he needs to improve. Vigen had watched Allen mature over the years in his ability to attack those weaknesses. In discussions this offseason, Vigen sensed Allen was “on a mission.”

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 8

26 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

I think the following is the most relevant quote from the article -- there are very few athletes who are able to identify where they need to improve as well as he does.

The trait that Allen is rarely given enough credit for, Vigen believes, is his competitive intelligence — his willingness to identify what he needs to improve. Vigen had watched Allen mature over the years in his ability to attack those weaknesses. In discussions this offseason, Vigen sensed Allen was “on a mission.”

Funny how the PFFs of the world just can’t quantify that aspect of the position. They think QB = passer and they couldn’t be more clueless on the matter. But it’s nice to know they can tell us who throws the prettiest incomplete passes. 

My favorite part, and surprisingly accurate for PFF:

“Bills Mafia hates us,” Sam Monson, the lead NFL analyst for statistics website Pro Football Focus, said with a laugh. “There are T-shirts. They think we hate Josh Allen. They think we hate the Bills generally. It’s understandable.

It's true. Glad you understand.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Ha!  I just finished this paragraph in the article and came to post it.  I think it is THE thing that is making Allen improve so much.  He is acutely aware of his short comings and seems to bust his ass to fix them.  Love it.

31 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

My favorite part, and surprisingly accurate for PFF:

It's true. Glad you understand.

Well, some of Bills Mafia hates them. 

Others of Bills Mafia, like moi, doesn't think they're worth the mental energy to work up a good cloud of hate.

Mockery is as far as I'll go.  Momson admits they tweeted out Duck Hodges was better, not because they really believed it, but to rile us up.  Therefore, nothing they say should be taken seriously or treated as believable going forward.  Sources who aren't believable should be ignored.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, some of Bills Mafia hates them. 

Others of Bills Mafia, like moi, doesn't think they're worth the mental energy to work up a good cloud of hate.

Mockery is as far as I'll go.  Momson admits they tweeted out Duck Hodges was better, not because they really believed it, but to rile us up.  Therefore, nothing they say should be taken seriously or treated as believable going forward.  Sources who aren't believable should be ignored.

Monson should learn from Jerry Sullivan. Credibility will be difficult to earn when Josh becomes the face of the league.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Whkfc said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/10/06/josh-allen-bills-quarterback-improvement/

Quite an article for an out of market source. Expect this type of story from Buffalo News or The Athletic.

How much can be posted here? I dont wanna break any rules.

Thanks for that. Would have been a great article if the writer spent half or a third of the time with PFF and Monsoon.

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sources who aren't believable should be ignored.

The notion that we or other Allen fans concentrated on the wrong stats, being beguiled by Josh's big plays, is lunacy. It was they who were obsessed with the wrong stats causing them to miss what was right in front of them. Rotisserie Baseball enthusiasts should not be allowed to give opinions on football without first detoxing at a re-education camp for recovering arithmomaniacs.

Oh yeah, its a word:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/arithmomania

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mickey said:

The notion that we or other Allen fans concentrated on the wrong stats, being beguiled by Josh's big plays, is lunacy. It was they who were obsessed with the wrong stats causing them to miss what was right in front of them. Rotisserie Baseball enthusiasts should not be allowed to give opinions on football without first detoxing at a re-education camp for recovering arithmomaniacs.

Oh yeah, its a word:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/arithmomania

I always say TBD is Educational. 

Some aspects of my education are more enjoyable than others :)

31 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Thanks for that. Would have been a great article if the writer spent half or a third of the time with PFF and Monsoon.

Did you mean "would have been a great article if the writer HAD NOT spent half or a third of it on PFF and Monson"?

I concur, less PFF and more facts and info

• Haha (+1) 1