30 Years Ago Today

Wacka

5 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I was sitting in the lower level, and the crowd was louder than a field of jet engines during the final 7 minutes of that game. Gary Kubiak came in for Elway, near the end of the contest. ...A 29-28 squeaker for the Bills!...

I was lower bowl as well. Unbelievable turn of events!

6 hours ago, eball said:

I remember it because I took a date to the game who wasn’t really a football fan, and she looked at everyone like they were crazy as we were going nuts in the stands.

Did you ever see her again?

5 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Those were the days......ole Horsey face was mightly bummed about that turn of events.  The whole team played like CRAP that day but those TO's were key.  IIRC the Bills only actually had one offensive TD....the rest of the points were those TO's.....maybe a Norwide kick was in there too......damn it sux getting old!

Don Smith took a direct snap for a score earlier and Kenny Davis turned Bicuits’ fumble recovery near their goal line into the winning TD. That 3 game stretch still echoes, with comebacks vs. Jets (Jaimie Mueller TD catch) and SNF vs. Raiders with blocked Punt TD and Odomes’ sideline theft TD -which gave us Home Field throughout playoffs and 51-3.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, chaccof said:

you might be thinking of a Sunday night game with Oakland that same year when the Bills had another great comeback.  

The Raiders comeback game was the very next week after the Denver game.  Two "miracle" comebacks in back-to-back weeks that propelled the Bills to their first Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, chaccof said:

you might be thinking of a Sunday night game with Oakland that same year when the Bills had another great comeback.  

That Oakland game was the next week.I gave our tickets for that game  to someone at work because we were still in mourning  for my dad's death the day after the Bronco's game.

6 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Nothing beat Criqui and Trumpy doing an old school AFC game!

Not often you can directly credit the crowd with causing a turnover, but they sure did in this case on the Elway fumble.

Edited by KD in CA

Back in those days I used to bring a little Sony Watchman TV with me to the game to watch replays.  Before the kick I said "The Bills are going to block the kick & run it back for a touchdown"  After the Bills did just that, one of the fans near me said "Does that TV tell the future?" 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Bills were down 24-14 in the 4th. qtr, with about 7:30 to play. Nate Odomes rips the ball from Willie Gault's hands with FORCE, and runs it back for the TD. The Raiders were doomed from that moment. Bills 38-24 victory!

Sort of good memory.  It was 24-14 but Kelly hit Lofton for a TD to cut it to 24-21, then Tasker blocked the punt taken in by JD Williams to get the lead, and the Odomes strip/fumble recovery TD was the icing on the cake.

• Like (+1) 2

For me, This game and the next weeks game where they had a similar stretch....they were getting beat and then scored a bunch all of a sudden is when the 90's team was truly born, this is when they learned how to win.  I think the week before or in a game prior to this game Levy took a bunch of starters out when the Bills were getting smoked.  Bruce Smith made a big deal about it, he was pissed, did not like the idea of giving up.  Levy never did that again.

10 hours ago, Wacka said:

Thirty years ago today, September 30, 1990, the Bills scored 20 points  in 77 seconds against the Denver Broncos.

Denver was ahead 20-9 and kicking a FG. It was blocked and cornelius Bennet ran it  back 80 yards for  a TD.Two plays after the kickoff, Leonard Smith intercepted a batted ball for a pick-six. The XP was blocked. After that kickoff,  Elway fumbled the ball at his own 4.Kenneth Davis scored on the next play.

I remember the date cause the next day, I was telling my father about the game while visiting him in the oncology ward at Mercy Hospital.  He died about 15 minutes later..

Here is my memory of that game:

I was a high school kid and that morning my best friend and his Dad had an extra ticket to the Philadelphia Eagles game in Philly that day. So i wore my #78 Bruce Smith jersey to the game. A enraged Philly fan got in my face 'IS THAT A GIANTS JERSEY' and I said 'No No, Buffalo' and he backed off.

Back in those days you had to wait for the scores to loop through on the out of town scoreboard at the Vet. It was 21-9 Denver and it took about 7-10 minutes to cycle through and come back with the score. During a commercial of the Eagles game, it flashes again: Buffalo had a 22-21 lead!  I JUMP out of my seat "yeahhhhhh hell yeah''' going WILD and I had Eagles fans throw pretzels at me and curse me off. Ahhhh memories

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Same, I was 11 and there. Whenever anyone refers to the Super Bowl years, the first image that immediately pops into my mind every time is the memories from this game and the visual of Biscuit standing there, waiting on the popped up block kick for what seems like eternity before snatching it hustling up field for the TD. The crowd going nuts and having to hop up onto my seat to keep watching. Then the subsequent scoring onslaught.

I can remember it all like it was yesterday, clear as day. Funny enough, I cant tell you what I had for lunch yesterday though...

Yep.  I was 11 as well.  We had seasons from 87-95.  So many great memories, but that game really stands out for me.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Wacka said:

Thirty years ago today, September 30, 1990, the Bills scored 20 points  in 77 seconds against the Denver Broncos.

Denver was ahead 20-9 and kicking a FG. It was blocked and cornelius Bennet ran it  back 80 yards for  a TD.Two plays after the kickoff, Leonard Smith intercepted a batted ball for a pick-six. The XP was blocked. After that kickoff,  Elway fumbled the ball at his own 4.Kenneth Davis scored on the next play.

I remember the date cause the next day, I was telling my father about the game while visiting him in the oncology ward at Mercy Hospital.  He died about 15 minutes later..

Wacka, thanks for sharing a remember that game like it was last month.  I’m sorry it was a bittersweet memory for you.  I can only imagine.  I had a similar memory, when my mom passed suddenly and remember being in a fog trying to watch the game a couple days later.

21 hours ago, Wacka said:

That Oakland game was the next week.I gave our tickets for that game  to someone at work because we were still in mourning  for my dad's death the day after the Bronco's game.

Gosh, sorry to hear that.  It was a terrific two weeks for the Bills.  I lost my dad some years ago and it sucked.  Still does.  

16 hours ago, Just Jack said:

A thought just occurred to me watching the video posted. Can you think of any other game where three scores in a row were done by special teams, defense, and offense? 

Not off the top of my head. However, if there were, it would probably take a Falcons fan to clue us in? :w00t:

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

I remember that game very well; hard to believe that was 30 years ago.

That game serves as a general reminder of what the Superbowl teams were capable of.

We always seemed able to generate shocking, game-breaking plays when we needed them and it never seemed like any situation or task was unsurmountable.

• Thank you (+1) 1