Black Monday for NFL injuries

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

but then what do you do w Darnold...I mean his trade value plummets if they draft a guy #1

You either trade him for lesser value or you let him be the veteran year one and let him walk.  

At this point the Jets would be insane to give him a 5th year option and another contract along with passing on Lawerence - for even a ton of picks.  

The cost on Darnold would hurt any plans to build easily around him.

Now if they are sitting at pick 5 or 6 - then you have to look at keeping Darnold and building around him, but only if you miss out on the top QBs.

1 hour ago, fergie's ire said:

I know Kyle Shahan was blaming the "sticky" turf in Jersey.  Not sure if it is new or why it would be different this year.

Brand new - just put in and it is supposed to be really good, but the 49ers said the turf was long and caught on their cleats.  It may be they were wearing the wrong cleats, but we will see - the 49ers get to play the NYG on the same field next week also.

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Training camp and preseason are far more important than what a noisy minority of the fan base thinks, it is utterly stupid to not have a full preseason training regime, to include those four games/scrimmages, the large numbers of injuries are a testament to why those who hot take this issue are just so obviously wrong. 

Go Bills!!!

A good portion of the fan base is noisy about it due to paying full price for preseason games and unable to sell them near to what they paid.  I know a number of season ticket holders who sell games which are higher priced on market to pay for season tickets and some years pay in net nothing.  NFL should take a one time hit and eliminate preseason tickets as part of season tickets package.  They do not need to change season ticket price and just state that prices went up per seat.  

Regarding preseason tickets sell them to those who wish to go and give discount to season ticket holders.

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

More money at the cost of the players health. I make less but it is the same song and dance at my company as well. The we appreciate you speech with stay safe and oh by the way we are increasing your work load 30% and still want you to be safe.

Wha?   Wait more money at the cost of players health?   No preseason and no fans, owners are not to blame.  Players union has been trying for years to shorten or eliminate preseason. 

Like Tasker said this morning (when Chris Brown wasn't cutting him off every 20 seconds)  there were an inordinate amount of non-contact injuries and he attributed it to not easing players into regular action.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

IMO the reason for so many injuries is lack of formal training camp and preseason.

Yes they had virtual ones where they had nutrition and training go over issues with players over video but not the same.

Lack of equipment during off season is also reason - having the best training equipment is why Bills invested in facilities.

I am sure NFLPA disagrees. They want preseason and training camps reduced as much as possible and they always have.

Yup, was just coming here to say this.  Without a doubt, having no preseason and limited contact has HEAVILY contributed to the injuries this year.  There is a need and reason for preseason and full camps.  This is a violent sport, and proper time preparing the body for the contact is absolutely necessary for the body to be able to stand up to the rigors of a long season.  

If there was ever a case for why a Preseason was so important, despite fans for whatever reason always whining about it, this is it.  Always found it utterly stupid and absurd for fans of all people to complain about preseason.  If you don't enjoy watching it, who really cares, dont turn it on, its that simple.  Less preseason doesn't make the NFL regular season get here any faster, starts on the same date regardless.  But the players and coaches need it to both evaluate and prepare the roster for a rigorous season.  

And the only reason its been talked about being shortened is for money, the league wants more regular season games that make more money.  But the players don't want the added exposure to their bodies, so they have been focused on shortening the preseason in order to do that.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

A good portion of the fan base is noisy about it due to paying full price for preseason games and unable to sell them near to what they paid.  I know a number of season ticket holders who sell games which are higher priced on market to pay for season tickets and some years pay in net nothing.  NFL should take a one time hit and eliminate preseason tickets as part of season tickets package.  They do not need to change season ticket price and just state that prices went up per seat.  

Regarding preseason tickets sell them to those who wish to go and give discount to season ticket holders.

I hear ya, but all those seasons ticket holders went in knowing that was the case, so I can’t say that I have much pity for them, cost of doing business as it were. They can always decline to purchase the following season. 

Go Bills!!!

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And the only reason its been talked about being shortened is for money, the league wants more regular season games that make more money.  But the players don't want the added exposure to their bodies, so they have been focused on shortening the preseason in order to do that.  

NFLPA has been talking about shortening camps and eliminating preseason games for years,

They would just prefer NFL eliminate them AND raise percentage of money going to players but NFL is not going to give it to them with no price.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/21/anthony-barr-out-for-year-with-torn-pectoral/

Barr done for the year with a torn pectoral. All of these things happening to them after they traded away Stefon. The team falling apart, injuries to key players, SD thriving in the B-Lo getting more receiving yards in one week than their entire team? I wonder if their fans will start talking about the "Diggs Curse" like we used to talk about the "Flutie Curse"? 

Barr out for the year with a torn ACL also...at least he won't have to worry about anyone hurdling him...

What's with the injury report on page 1?  Barr and Sutton are listed as shoulder when they are both ACL's

Edited by matter2003

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Barr out for the year with a torn ACL also...at least he won't have to worry about anyone hurdling him...

What's with the injury report on page 1?  Barr and Sutton are listed as shoulder when they are both ACL's

Torn pectoral. See my post above yours. 

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Brand new - just put in and it is supposed to be really good, but the 49ers said the turf was long and caught on their cleats.  It may be they were wearing the wrong cleats, but we will see - the 49ers get to play the NYG on the same field next week also.

The Niners called it MetDeath stadium 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Having lunch with a friend a couple weeks ago, this was exactly what we talked about. The Pre-Season isn't really about talent evaluations anymore, it's much more about conditioning. For that purpose, I think 2 Pre-Season games still makes sense because they can get a quarter of play in the first week and then a full half the second Pre-Season game. Making that first week their 3rd game action of the season helping to diminish these issues. 

That’s why it used to be called “ Training camp”, so all the lard butts could come in and get in shape. 
    That is the irony of trying to make an unsafe game safe. It can’t be done. As you try to mitigate one risk you exacerbate another.

The idea about the knee brace mandate is actually not bad. If everyone had to wear them there would be no advantage.

34 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

That’s why it used to be called “ Training camp”, so all the lard butts could come in and get in shape. 
    That is the irony of trying to make an unsafe game safe. It can’t be done. As you try to mitigate one risk you exacerbate another.

The idea about the knee brace mandate is actually not bad. If everyone had to wear them there would be no advantage.

Hopefully you’re not truly trying to make the argument that training camp can in any appreciable way simulate the extreme stress on joints and muscles? 

Pre-Season games are meant to aid in conditioning. This helps. 

6 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I think it depends entirely on what direction they go wrt Gase

If they cut him loose, then it will depend on whether the incoming staff likes Darnold or wants their own guy. If they keep Gase I imagine they trade out

There's no way I'm buying a new coaching staff would keep Darnold. Gase completely ruined any chance of him becoming even an average QB. I wouldn't be surprised if Trevor Lawrence pulled an Eli Manning on the Jets

Edited by buffalo2218

41 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Hopefully you’re not truly trying to make the argument that training camp can in any appreciable way simulate the extreme stress on joints and muscles? 

Pre-Season games are meant to aid in conditioning. This helps. 

Conditioning is conditioning.

The oldest adage in the book, per vets who have played the game is “ You have to get into football shape.”  This doesn’t just include physical strength conditioning but getting a feel for what your body can and can’t do. 
    So yes, training camp and small doses of live fire drills ( preseason games) help vets acclimate their bodies to regular season play.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Conditioning is conditioning.

The oldest adage in the book, per vets who have played the game is “ You have to get into football shape.”  This doesn’t just include physical strength conditioning but getting a feel for what your body can and can’t do. 
    So yes, training camp and small doses of live fire drills ( preseason games) help vets acclimate their bodies to regular season play.

Exactly, that was my only point. That 2 Pre-Season games to me would be sufficient to get them into the right condition to reduce the injuries while not risking further injury. The starters play one quarter the first game and then the first half the second game and then, done. That should be the proper amount.

• Like (+1) 1

I was among those who were concerned that the lack of a preseason and strict limits on contact work in training camp might result in more injuries in the the early part of the season than is typical.  The good news is that after another week or so the frequency of injury should trend toward the average, at least it will if I'm right.

NFL & NFLPA just lost over $100 million in player value for the season due to half baked training camp policies, yet the NFL feels emboldened to fine coaches for not wearing masks on the sidelines.  Way to focus on the important stuff.  

1 minute ago, GG said:

NFL & NFLPA just lost over $100 million in player value for the season due to half baked training camp policies, yet the NFL feels emboldened to fine coaches for not wearing masks on the sidelines.  Way to focus on the important stuff.  

The NFL and its member clubs are prioritizing the safety of players, coaches, staff and fans above all else as we navigate the uncertainties of the COVID-19 virus.