Week 3: Rams at Bills

YoloinOhio

20 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Does anyone know whether the rams play a lot of zone or man? Also will Jalen Ramsey be on Diggs all day, or does he play on one side only? 

it’s interesting— but Josh excels against zone coverage, and has been so-so against man. Last week was the first time I recall him really picking apart man coverage and I think that was partially due to the Bills running way More crossing routes that I have ever seen them run, and Josh being super accurate on those. 

They play pure zone. Their slot corner sucks. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

If this is true, our outlook for Sunday is good. We excel at disguising coverages. 

It’s just as much about finding a way to be physical with their WRs and do whatever’s necessary to prevent free releases off the LOS. Whether that means playing a safety over a WR and using a corner in bail technique or having a guy like AJE crashing on Higbee. Keeping Goff from being able to drop/set/throw in rhythm is critical. If you can compound it with good coverage disguise that’s even better.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They play pure zone. Their slot corner sucks. 

Actually every corner not named Ramsey is suspect. Troy Hill was solid as a rookie, but has tailed off since.

• Like (+1) 2

In my opinion, this game really comes down to coaching and how well our defense bounces back.

The Rams offense really goes through Sean McVay, and his ability to confuse the defense with misdirection.  If a defense can stay disciplined and get some pressure on Jared Goff, they have a really good shot of shutting down what is usually a high-scoring unit.  Since McDermott became our coach, discipline has been a big strength for the Bills defense.  But since Matt Milano/Tremaine Edmunds went out late in the Jets game, our defense hasn't looked anywhere close to the same.  If we can't get back Edmunds (at least), they could really pick us apart.

On the other side, the Rams were a solid (Top 10-15) defensive unit in 2019.  They seem to be about the same this year.  Aaron Donald is possibly the NFL's best player, and Jalen Ramsey is one of the league's best cornerbacks.  Their pass rushers aren't really scary.  Their linebackers are inexperienced.  And outside of Ramsey, they are vulnerable on the back end.  I truly think Josh Allen has raised his game (we kept hearing about this kind of progress in training camp), and this offense is for real.  If we can limit the turnovers and stupid mistakes that seem to plague us frequently, the Rams are going to have a really difficult time slowing us down.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

It’s just as much about finding a way to be physical with their WRs and do whatever’s necessary to prevent free releases off the LOS. Whether that means playing a safety over a WR and using a corner in bail technique or having a guy like AJE crashing on Higbee. Keeping Goff from being able to drop/set/throw in rhythm is critical. If you can compound it with good coverage disguise that’s even better.

Actually every corner not named Ramsey is suspect. Troy Hill was solid as a rookie, but has tailed off since.

the Bills should target their slow LBs in coverage with RBs in the passing game. Miles Sanders was running wide open all over the field on Sunday because Micah kiser can’t run and Wentz just couldn’t hit him 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

the Bills should target their slow LBs in coverage with RBs in the passing game. Miles Sanders was running wide open all over the field on Sunday because Micah kiser can’t run and Wentz just couldn’t hit him 

I think this is a potentially HUGE game for Beasley. With the Rams presumably putting Ramsey on Diggs and rolling help to Smoke, Beasley has a major opportunity to abuse their interior zone. I assume they’ll try to use LBs to occupy space and prevent middle hooks, but that allows Bease to sit down over the middle and create space on whip routes. Assuming Josh can hit those plays early and often, you have to assume the next move is to blitz and not allow him the time to let Beasley work, and that’s when you can kill them with the passes to backs and TEs.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Does anyone know whether the rams play a lot of zone or man? Also will Jalen Ramsey be on Diggs all day, or does he play on one side only? 

it’s interesting— but Josh excels against zone coverage, and has been so-so against man. Last week was the first time I recall him really picking apart man coverage and I think that was partially due to the Bills running way More crossing routes that I have ever seen them run, and Josh being super accurate on those. 

Also helps to have Diggs who can beat man coverage like a drum

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

In my opinion, this game really comes down to coaching and how well our defense bounces back.

The Rams offense really goes through Sean McVay, and his ability to confuse the defense with misdirection.  If a defense can stay disciplined and get some pressure on Jared Goff, they have a really good shot of shutting down what is usually a high-scoring unit.  Since McDermott became our coach, discipline has been a big strength for the Bills defense.  But since Matt Milano/Tremaine Edmunds went out late in the Jets game, our defense hasn't looked anywhere close to the same.  If we can't get back Edmunds (at least), they could really pick us apart.

On the other side, the Rams were a solid (Top 10-15) defensive unit in 2019.  They seem to be about the same this year.  Aaron Donald is possibly the NFL's best player, and Jalen Ramsey is one of the league's best cornerbacks.  Their pass rushers aren't really scary.  Their linebackers are inexperienced.  And outside of Ramsey, they are vulnerable on the back end.  I truly think Josh Allen has raised his game (we kept hearing about this kind of progress in training camp), and this offense is for real.  If we can limit the turnovers and stupid mistakes that seem to plague us frequently, the Rams are going to have a really difficult time slowing us down.

I don't even understand how their defense was so good. Outside of Donald, Brocker, Ramsey, and Johnson, that is a terrible unit. 

We will be able to pass all day.  My guess is they move the pocket a ton, and run to the outside. 

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I don't even understand how their defense was so good. Outside of Donald, Brocker, Ramsey, and Johnson, that is a terrible unit. 

We will be able to pass all day.  My guess is they move the pocket a ton, and run to the outside. 

They have a new DC this year. He was the LB coach for Denver last year. He’s inexperienced but from the Vic fangio tree. Wade didn’t get brought back after last year. Just interesting to note as it’s a different scheme than before

30 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Also helps to have Diggs who can beat man coverage like a drum

agreed. But it wasn’t even him. Brown and Beasley were getting like yards of separation on their guys. The TD’s to Diggs and Brown were both underthrown and they still cleanly beat their guys. And the Miami secondary is not bad. 

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Always fun to post the stats and then claim the stats don’t REALLY matter because ....

...because when 15 of the 45 total points against to date were given up after both games were won and had ZERO impact on the outcomes, it really doesn’t matter. 

There might be other stats that actually support your theory that the defense doesn’t inspire confidence, but at the moment, points against just doesn’t. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

That is why it was so important for Allen to be able to loft the ball...to put some air under it.  Often, in man to man, a quarterback needs to throw over a defender.  Against zone, Josh could find a seem and gun it through the open space to his receiver.  That was why the "deep ball" problem was never so much about throwing the ball down field.  He had some long connections (30-40 yds) but the ball was thrown on a line.  It also helps that he has Diggs who is great at beating man to man.  There was a completion in the 2nd half Sunday that really demonstrated the benefit of Diggs and this improved ability to loft the ball.  It was the pass on the sideline that was reviewed.  At first I was thinking "Oh no...an old Josh mistake" because it looked like a very dangerous pass.  Diggs was covered tightly.  However, watching the replay, Diggs gets just enough separation and the ball DROPS over his shoulder.  The defender had no chance.  And it's those kinds of plays that Allen could not do consistently last year that make him so dangerous against man to man this year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, K-9 said:

...because when 15 of the 45 total points against to date were given up after both games were won and had ZERO impact on the outcomes, it really doesn’t matter. 

There might be other stats that actually support your theory that the defense doesn’t inspire confidence, but at the moment, points against just doesn’t. 

You know I always look at yards per play...

The Bills rank 12th with 5.3

The Rams rank 13th with 5.4

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

You know I always look at yards per play...

The Bills rank 12th with 5.3

The Rams rank 13th with 5.4

For better or worse, garbage time drives count in those statistics as well.  Probably doesn’t make a huge difference but it could be worth a couple of tenths of a yard...

• Like (+1) 1