Fox To Use Virtual Fans

DefenseWins

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

Dumb

Are the virtual fans going to be celebrating when the opposing team scores the game winning touchdown, like they do in baseball when the opposing team hits a home run?

:sick:

They have been using fake crowd noise in the NHL playoff games.  They seem to try to be evenhanded with it.

I.E., any time someone accomplishes something like score a goal, the crowd cheers as if that team is the home team.

So the crowd cheers for any big play, basically, from either team.

I agree "virtual crowd" crap is stupid.  I prefer a real crowd, but now is not the time for that.

Be thankful they are playing; I'm surprised they are.

23 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

They have been using fake crowd noise in the NHL playoff games.  They seem to try to be evenhanded with it.

I.E., any time someone accomplishes something like score a goal, the crowd cheers as if that team is the home team.

I agree "virtual crowd" crap is stupid.  I prefer a real crowd, but now is not the time for that.

I've been watching the NHL games here and there... more with the CC's though. Seems to me that they've done a pretty good job with what they have to work with... lights, sound, boards, etc. Not the norm but not horrible I guess.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, T&C said:

I've been watching the NHL games here and there... more with the CC's though. Seems to me that they've done a pretty good job with what they have to work with... lights, sound, boards, etc. Not the norm but not horrible I guess.

It does add something, though I have found the games really weird.

There is nothing more boring than watching a sporting contest in front of a small crowd, or empty arena! 

Picture a game in Miami with the usual half empty stadium of "Dolphins fans" vs. a game in KC with the place packed and everyone going nuts for the Chiefs.

If you are a neutral fan anyway, the crowd adds a lot of drama and atmosphere.

As I have said elsewhere, we are lucky to have NFL football at all, and I really did NOT think we would.

So we will see what it's all like.

We get our first taste tonight.

28 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Not quite the same thing.

Having fake crowd noise at the NHL playoffs, which are being played at a neutral sight, doesn't seem as strange.

Watching fake fans jumping all over themselves when the opposing team scores is incredibly stupid.

I personally would rather have no fake fans and no fake fan noise. All I care about is watching the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I never understood the point of those, whatever they are, robots?

They are like fighting transformers or some such.

I would could write a long thesis on the over-abuse of technology in American sports broadcasting.  The games are so f-ing overproduced and over gimmicked up with on-screen graphics and what not.  Those robots are the epitome of all that crap.

It's such a joy to watch European soccer.  They just show the game, only 2 guys talking (sometimes only 1) and you only see on-screen graphics if someone scores or its halftime.

Did I mention ZERO TV commercials during the game?

Compare that to the visual ***** show of an NFL football game televised in America.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It does add something, though I have found the games really weird.

There is nothing more boring than watching a sporting contest in front of a small crowd, or empty arena! 

Picture a game in Miami with the usual half empty stadium of "Dolphins fans" vs. a game in KC with the place packed and everyone going nuts for the Chiefs.

If you are a neutral fan anyway, the crowd adds a lot of drama and atmosphere.

As I have said elsewhere, we are lucky to have NFL football at all, and I really did NOT think we would.

So we will see what it's all like.

We get our first taste tonight.

from Yahoo sports:

"The wide availability of Thursday’s Chiefs home opener against the Houston Texans has been an eyebrow-raiser across the ticket market. Not only because the Chiefs are coming off a Super Bowl win after the 2019 season and feature league centerpiece Patrick Mahomes, but also because Thursday’s prime-time game represents the kickoff to the 2020 NFL season and Kansas City was planning to limit the crowd to 16,000 fans."

24 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Fox hasn't even updated their stupid football robots in 20 years, can't wait to see what this looks like...

Maybe there will be some robots as part of the virtual fans...

I've actually really enjoyed the NHL playoffs and think they have done a very good job executng the fake crowd noise.  Most of the time I forget it is in a an empty arena - I can't imagine how much worse it would be just dead quiet.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

They are like fighting transformers or some such.

I would could write a long thesis on the over-abuse of technology in American sports broadcasting.  The games are so f-ing overproduced and over gimmicked up with on-screen graphics and what not.  Those robots are the epitome of all that crap.

agreed.  That’s the reason I dislike the Sunday Night Football broadcast so much.  Fox is also bad, but not nearly AS bad.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

agreed.  That’s the reason I dislike the Sunday Night Football broadcast so much.  Fox is also bad, but not nearly AS bad.

Yeah but Al Michaels is the best in the game, although Cris Collinsworth is really getting annoying.  I don't like that guy.  He's good at his job though.  I just don't like his style.

Everything is always great, every player is unbelievable, he never offers a true opinion, he's very vanilla, careful to save his job by not saying the wrong thing at all times, etc.

I do remember him saying a while ago that every coach he knows has had some type of technical headset problem playing in Foxborough at one time or another!  He was clearly implying something fishy is going on up there, and that was somewhat controversial.  It's the only pointed comment I recall the guy ever making.

And now I digress.

😂

• Like (+1) 1