Duke should definitely be part of the WR's this year

LB48

6 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

IMO, we may not be keeping six.

I think we kept 6 last year? 

I would be surprised if we don't.  Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis, Roberts, and one more.  It's a high injury position naturally and if covid-19 strikes we have to have someone there who understands Daboll's offense.

But I think Duke is third or fourth in line for that "one more".  The Isaiahs are in front of him.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would be surprised if we don't.  Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis, Roberts, and one more.  It's a high injury position naturally and if covid-19 strikes we have to have someone there who understands Daboll's offense.

But I think Duke is third or fourth in line for that "one more".  The Isaiahs are in front of him.

I’ll keep beating this drum until the Bills prove me wrong.  I think they’ll keep 7 and reduce another position group (QB?) by one.  Davis Webb isn’t going to be snatched up by anyone and is a perfect PS candidate, plus they can sweeten the pot for him to stay.  The 7 will be Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis, Roberts, Hodgins, and McKenzie.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Why aren't you saying this about John Brown? Duke made several key catches in that game that no one else on the roster last year would have made, and it's like everyone forgets it because he failed to make a spectacular catch in the end zone. The criticism of Duke Williams is over the top and makes no sense.

Because John Brown has 25 times as many yards and 28 times as many TDs in the league as Duke Williams.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is where I am.

We will keep 6. Five are locked in.

McKenzie is first in line because he knows the system, can be the backup returner, backup slot (none of the other contenders for the 6th spot offer this..... Andre Roberts could do it in a pinch of the other guys on the roster) and he offers a specific skillset (I know everyone talks about Stefon Diggs running the reverses in Minnesota but they didn't bring him here to run head first into linebackers).

Hodgins is second in line because they spent a draft pick on him this past year.

Duke and Foster are on the outside looking in.

Just now, Mountain Man said:

Because John Brown has 25 times as many yards and 28 times as many TDs in the league as Duke Williams.

It shouldn't need saying... but yes.

• Like (+1) 2

I don’t see Duke making it.  

I’d put McKenzie and Hodgins ahead of him based on practice write ups.  

Then, today, I’m all ready to give up on Foster and Bills media posts a video of him tracking a deep ball from Allen and he pulls me back in. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/31/2020 at 3:31 AM, LB48 said:

He's big.  He gets open despite not having break away speed.  Excellent route running skills and great hands. 

IF he's cut another team will scoop him up right away.

Ok, last year when OBD kept 6 on roster for opening day, he was beat out by Foster and McKenzie. What's changed this year? Take away Zay Jones and plug in Diggs.  Take away Foster and plug in Gabriel Davis. 

So Duke has to beat out McKenzie, who was active all last year. Davis and Hodgins are playing on STs, not sure Duke has that ability.

The CFL is off tyhis year so if he gets cut, which is likely, I hope he goes to PS

On 8/31/2020 at 9:07 AM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Why aren't you saying this about John Brown? Duke made several key catches in that game that no one else on the roster last year would have made, and it's like everyone forgets it because he failed to make a spectacular catch in the end zone. The criticism of Duke Williams is over the top and makes no sense.

I'd argue the opposite is true, the praise for Duke is way over the top for what he's actually accomplished and makes no sense.  The only reason you're even seeing over the top criticism is because there's so much ridiculous amount of praise for him and constantly seeing new threads praising a guy who's done next to nothing in four seasons in the league.

11 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I'd argue the opposite is true, the praise for Duke is way over the top for what he's actually accomplished and makes no sense.  The only reason you're even seeing over the top criticism is because there's so much ridiculous amount of praise for him and constantly seeing new threads praising a guy who's done next to nothing in four seasons in the league.

Absolutely. 

Williams is like Reilly before him. The fairytale story you hope comes true despite not being based on any evidence.

Williams is just another guy on the conveyor belt, next year it'll be someone different, and the year after that someone different again, the idol of wishful hopes and dreams. 

Edited by Mountain Man
  • Like (+1) 1

I am a fan of Duke Williams. Check my post history, it's true!  That being said, best move is to stash him on the PS squad. If another team cherry picks him, then so be it, it's still a cool story how he worked his way onto an NFL roster.  It's a sensible and calculated approach. 

It was a nice story last year, and he did produce when called upon.  He deserved his shot in the NFL and has a good shot of contributing somewhere, maybe even for the Bills. The thing is, our stable of WR is now stacked with talent and/or potential. 

Williams is PS eligible whereas others are not.  The rookies deserve their shot.  It's a simple equation. 

There is still a good chance that Williams will stick with the team on the PS and contribute again if injuries happen. 

5 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Absolutely. 

Williams is like Reilly before him. The fairytale story you hope comes true despite not being based on any evidence.

Williams is just another guy on the conveyor belt, next year it'll be someone different, and the year after that someone different again, the idol of wishful hopes and dreams. 

Just read a very telling comment in a column about why Williams and Foster are likely toast.  Basically the point was:

If the Bills thought guys like Williams and Foster were in their future plans, they wouldn't have used 3 draft picks on WRs (counting trading a 1st for Diggs)

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/31/2020 at 8:00 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

18 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Now you're crazy talkin ?

I'm certainly NOT saying only keeping five WRs is likely. But, I do think it's possible, considering a few different factors: (a) the new PS rules, (b) it looks like they're giving Roberts more snaps on offense, and (c) they may want to keep three QBs, four TEs, and four RBs, plus a fullback. 

EDIT: And, more to the point of my original post, I think keeping five WRs is more likely than keeping seven. Too many mouths to feed.

Edited by Rocky Landing

• 10 months later...