Duke should definitely be part of the WR's this year

LB48

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

This seems to be the most likely outcome to me, with Duke being employed elsewhere as a productive #2 receiver.

In the XFL, perhaps.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

A productive #2? No chance. Absolutely none. 

We have a winner.

• Like (+1) 1

Both rookies have talent and good size. They have more upside than Duke.  I would think there might be a couple of other teams that could fit Duke on their rosters. I wish him all the best and hope he has a good NFL career.

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Why aren't you saying this about John Brown? Duke made several key catches in that game that no one else on the roster last year would have made, and it's like everyone forgets it because he failed to make a spectacular catch in the end zone. The criticism of Duke Williams is over the top and makes no sense.

Much like your take.

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

None whatsoever, it was an low blow statement. Duke has been a total process guy. Now if your looking at for a clear and obvious cut it’s Foster, he can only do STs, he has no value on the offense, can’t catch anything, even during  practices. McKenzie, Duke, and both rookies are all far more productive,  measured by his performance, he’s a goner, likely won’t  make the practice squad. He’s the last of the failed WR fodder. 

Why did he reach the NFL 4 years after his college eligibility? I gotcher ‘low brow’.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I would not use the word "definitely", but I do think Duke has a legit case for the roster along with Hodgins and McKenzie.  Foster at this point I just cant see making this team given he has done little since his rookie year and mostly dealt with injury issues, including camp again this year.  I feel like Beane will do what he does best and flip Foster for like a 5th or something.  

But Duke has had a strong camp from I can gather from reports, along with both Hodgins and McKenzie.

I think they only keep 6 WRs on the active roster. We know the 5 locks, so that leaves one of these 3 and each has their own pros and cons to them.

Duke - PROS:  Has a unique skill set that brings in Redzone and 3rd down value as a situational player.  Physical player and a guy the locker room and staff seem to really like and all reports seem to suggest he's having a good camp.  Has experience in Dabolls system, which gives him an edge over Hodgins.  CONS:  Lacks burst and also has a locked in rookie that also has size in Davis, making him no longer the only guy with size in the WR room to make contested catches.

McKenzie - PROS:  Excellent speed and perfect fit for the gimmick plays Daboll loves to run.  Also Daboll seems to really like him too.  Has had a strong camp as well based on reports.  Has value on special teams too.  CONS:  There are multiple players who can run the gimmick plays he would be used in now on the roster.  His value as a WR is minimal now, and even after a strong camp last year, they did not use him a lot last year despite a much weaker WR room outside of Brown and Cole.  Does he do enough now to keep a spot, may come down to ST contributions.  

Hodgins - PROS:  Biggest pro here is that he has been standing out in camp.  Has the most upside of the guys on the bubble by far.  CONS:  An UDFA rookie makes him easier to protect on PS, and with a COVID risk season, they may not want to keep a second rookie (Davis is a lock at this point) on the active roster this year.  

For me...I think Duke has a slight edge, but won't surprise me at all to see them keep any of the 3.  So again, nothing wrong in making a case for Duke, but at the end of the day, there is nothing "definitely" about any of these 3 WR's and all right now are in a tight race to try and get a 6th WR spot here.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

A productive #2? No chance. Absolutely none. 

Well, as much as I love Duke's story, and as much as might heart wants to argue with you, I think you're right.  

If Duke were going to be a productive #2, we would have seen more of him on the field last season, and more production. 

Is it possible he'll be a late bloomer?   Yes, and I'd love it if that happened.   Is it likely?  No. 

I do think he'll be in the league for three or four more years.  There's a place for him on someone's roster.  In Buffalo?  I still think it's possible, but I'd say the odds of him making it in Buffalo are getting longer by the day.  I'm not a McKenzie fan, but McKenzie offers more to the team than Duke. 

The worst sentence Duke Williams has heard through eight months of 2020 is "With their fourth pick in the 2020, the Buffalo Bills select Gabriel Davis."  Through nine months, the worst sentence will be "Duke, we're sorry but ...."

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I would not use the word "definitely", but I do think Duke has a legit case for the roster along with Hodgins and McKenzie.  Foster at this point I just cant see making this team given he has done little since his rookie year and mostly dealt with injury issues, including camp again this year.  I feel like Beane will do what he does best and flip Foster for like a 5th or something.  

But Duke has had a strong camp from I can gather from reports, along with both Hodgins and McKenzie.

I think they only keep 6 WRs on the active roster. We know the 5 locks, so that leaves one of these 3 and each has their own pros and cons to them.

Duke - PROS:  Has a unique skill set that brings in Redzone and 3rd down value as a situational player.  Physical player and a guy the locker room and staff seem to really like and all reports seem to suggest he's having a good camp.  Has experience in Dabolls system, which gives him an edge over Hodgins.  CONS:  Lacks burst and also has a locked in rookie that also has size in Davis, making him no longer the only guy with size in the WR room to make contested catches.

McKenzie - PROS:  Excellent speed and perfect fit for the gimmick plays Daboll loves to run.  Also Daboll seems to really like him too.  Has had a strong camp as well based on reports.  Has value on special teams too.  CONS:  There are multiple players who can run the gimmick plays he would be used in now on the roster.  His value as a WR is minimal now, and even after a strong camp last year, they did not use him a lot last year despite a much weaker WR room outside of Brown and Cole.  Does he do enough now to keep a spot, may come down to ST contributions.  

Hodgins - PROS:  Biggest pro here is that he has been standing out in camp.  Has the most upside of the guys on the bubble by far.  CONS:  An UDFA rookie makes him easier to protect on PS, and with a COVID risk season, they may not want to keep a second rookie (Davis is a lock at this point) on the active roster this year.  

For me...I think Duke has a slight edge, but won't surprise me at all to see them keep any of the 3.  So again, nothing wrong in making a case for Duke, but at the end of the day, there is nothing "definitely" about any of these 3 WR's and all right now are in a tight race to try and get a 6th WR spot here.  

As I said, McKenzie is versatile.  And he has speed, which is always a good thing.  I'm afraid the nod goes to McKenzie.

Hodgins isn't an UDFA, and it probably won't be easy to hide him on the PS.  Strikes me as a closer call, and I think the nod goes to the guy who looks like he'll be the best contributor in 2021.   

I say that for the same reason I said it last season about Duke and Zay Jones  If you're not one of the top three receivers on the team, your chances of sticking with the team are based on your longer term potential.   Zay wasn't top 2 last season and was barely top 3, so he was expendable.  It wasn't long before Zay was gone and Duke was on the roster.  The current talents of the #4 guy are somewhat important, but if the #5 guy has more potential, the #4 guy is at risk.   That's where Duke finds himself.  So, unless Duke has been really special this summer, unless he's staked a strong claim to the #4 spot, he's in trouble.   Unfortunately for him, Gabriel Davis is the guy who apparently has staked that claim.   So Duke is fighting for the #5 spot (Roberts is #6).  Hodgins apparently has impressed, too, and so, given his age and his growth potential, I have to think he has the edge.  

Edited by Shaw66

9 hours ago, LB48 said:

He's big.  He gets open despite not having break away speed.  Excellent route running skills and great hands. 

IF he's cut another team will scoop him up right away.

Robert Foster has had his chances.  Isaiah Hodgins was a 6th round pick with 4.61 speed in the 40 yard dash.  As the Bills get better talent all over the field a draft choice won't necessarily make the final roster.

Beasley, Brown, Diggs, Roberts, McKenzie, Davis AND Duke form a uniquely talented group of of wide-outs!   All don't have to dress each game - and - injuries happen!

Couldn't agree more. This guy will be valuable as red zone clutch receiver. He could have made a great catch against Houston, last year, and cemented his place on the roster. To be fair, as a rookie, he looked like a keeper. His work ethic and desire can't be questioned. He is a fan favorite and needs to stay.

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Much like your take.

Why did he reach the NFL 4 years after his college eligibility? I gotcher ‘low brow’.

Ooh, ?
It was an unnecessary jab, that was put to rest by DWs corrective actions years ago, I will admit I jabbed you on this point. We both went for the low hanging fruit...

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

I've been supportive of Williams throughout his time here, but he's in a very crowded WR room. The reports of him having a "good"  camp need to read something along the lines of having an "outstanding" camp for him to have a shot at making the roster.  But as many have mentioned before, put him at TE since Kroft can't seem to stay healthy.