Duke should definitely be part of the WR's this year

LB48

2 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Why aren't you saying this about John Brown? Duke made several key catches in that game that no one else on the roster last year would have made, and it's like everyone forgets it because he failed to make a spectacular catch in the end zone. The criticism of Duke Williams is over the top and makes no sense.

Well one example is brown had 1000 yards on the season so generally 1000 yard receivers aren’t fringe roster kinda guys. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Why aren't you saying this about John Brown? Duke made several key catches in that game that no one else on the roster last year would have made, and it's like everyone forgets it because he failed to make a spectacular catch in the end zone. The criticism of Duke Williams is over the top and makes no sense.

John Brown made two mistakes in that game.  I'm not disputing that.  Brown has proven himself in this league, however, and his stats last season bear that out.  Duke only caught 4/10 targets against the Texans.  The potential TD catch would not have been "spectacular" -- the ball was in his hands and the DB broke it up.  Duke was out there to be the "contested catch" guy and in his biggest moment he didn't do the job.  He's not elite in anything, and if he isn't going to do the one thing he is supposed to excel at why keep him around when there are now other options such as Gabriel Davis and Isaiah Hodgins?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Rc2catch said:

Well one example is brown had 1000 yards on the season so generally 1000 yard receivers aren’t fringe roster kinda guys. 

The point is that we mercilessly dump on Duke for failing to make what would have been a highlight-reel catch, when John Brown couldn't even complete a standard catch that probably would have made the same impact. Everyone forgets about the other critical receptions Williams had during the game.

Look, I don't think he's going to make the 53 either, but I think he would have as the #4 if not for Davis. I think the Hodgins love is hilarious; this is a lanky guy with a slight frame who almost certainly won't be long for the league. I'll take the big-bodied, physical, nasty player with great hands any day. Duke brings an emotional edge that can't be discounted as well.

I think Duke Williams is actually the best fit on the roster for 22 personnel, but they might decide they don't use it enough for it to be worth it.

9 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

What behavioral issues has Duke had in Buffalo?

None whatsoever, it was an low blow statement. Duke has been a total process guy. Now if your looking at for a clear and obvious cut it’s Foster, he can only do STs, he has no value on the offense, can’t catch anything, even during  practices. McKenzie, Duke, and both rookies are all far more productive,  measured by his performance, he’s a goner, likely won’t  make the practice squad. He’s the last of the failed WR fodder. 

22 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I was a Duke fan last year for sure, wanted him on the 53, wanted him active. But this year I don't think we need him if Gabe Davis is looking as good as he has.

This is where i'm at.   If Davis can be our WR4/Big-Body Receiver, then i'd rather keep Roberts as KR/PR and, maybe, McKenzie for the gadget stuff, while putting Hodgins on the PS.

I said it last year, and we picked the wrong wr to bring in. Duke's teammate had better numbers in Canada. Can't remember his name. Some really nice people here still rooting for Duke. I get it, but Duke is 27 yrs old and isn't going to get much better. I wish him well. Maybe go back north. Oh, they cancelled the season.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

This is where i'm at.   If Davis can be our WR4/Big-Body Receiver, then i'd rather keep Roberts as KR/PR and, maybe, McKenzie for the gadget stuff, while putting Hodgins on the PS.

This seems to be the most likely outcome to me, with Duke being employed elsewhere as a productive #2 receiver.

29 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

The point is that we mercilessly dump on Duke for failing to make what would have been a highlight-reel catch, when John Brown couldn't even complete a standard catch that probably would have made the same impact. Everyone forgets about the other critical receptions Williams had during the game.

Look, I don't think he's going to make the 53 either, but I think he would have as the #4 if not for Davis. I think the Hodgins love is hilarious; this is a lanky guy with a slight frame who almost certainly won't be long for the league. I'll take the big-bodied, physical, nasty player with great hands any day. Duke brings an emotional edge that can't be discounted as well.

I think Duke Williams is actually the best fit on the roster for 22 personnel, but they might decide they don't use it enough for it to be worth it.

Great hands!?

:lol:

You forgot "slow".

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Yes, the fact that he didn't make that one catch doesn't mean he doesn't have great hands. Give me a break.

It wasn't just the one drop. Check him out with a minute left in the playoff game. For his career(including Canada), something like 50% of the passes thrown his way were incomplete. Not all his fault, but close to 50% ?

If QB runs are going to be a designed part of the offense this year,  you've got to give Duke some credit for his blocking ability.  All we know about the rookie WRs is what the media tell us, and they rarely mention blocking ability because most fans don't care about whether a WR can block (3 pages in, and nobody mentioned it).  At least some coaches do.

I suspect Duke won't make the 53.   But knowing absolutely nothing at this point about whether the rookie WRs have the ability and willingness  to block (especially Hodgin), Duke  may have a better chance than some give him credit for.  Duke is adequate enough as a catcher so that his entry into the game would not necessarily mean a run was coming.

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I see that you left out Bob Foster 

@Mike in Horseheads would agree

I think Fosters likelihood of making the roster is tied to Taiwan Jones health. It’d be nice if we could see who else they’re using at gunner and have a better picture. Unfortunately, we’ve got the covid camp and lockdown on information. 

• Like (+1) 2

Probably not happening. There aren't enough balls to go around.  After the top four receivers - Brown, Beasley, Diggs and Davis, there aren't going to be a lot of targets to be had.  Roberts will get a few of those as the Bills try to get him a bit more involved in the offense.  Duke's real problem is that Gabriel Davis is a better, faster, more explosive version of himself.  Anything Duke can do, Davis can, and Davis might be able to do it better.  Add to that the fact that Davis is younger and possesses more upside, and the handwriting is on the wall for Duke Williams.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

None whatsoever, it was an low blow statement. Duke has been a total process guy. Now if your looking at for a clear and obvious cut it’s Foster, he can only do STs, he has no value on the offense, can’t catch anything, even during  practices. McKenzie, Duke, and both rookies are all far more productive,  measured by his performance, he’s a goner, likely won’t  make the practice squad. He’s the last of the failed WR fodder. 

The AAA wants a word with you...?

(Alabama Alumni Association)

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

John Brown made two mistakes in that game.  I'm not disputing that.  Brown has proven himself in this league, however, and his stats last season bear that out.  Duke only caught 4/10 targets against the Texans.  The potential TD catch would not have been "spectacular" -- the ball was in his hands and the DB broke it up.  Duke was out there to be the "contested catch" guy and in his biggest moment he didn't do the job.  He's not elite in anything, and if he isn't going to do the one thing he is supposed to excel at why keep him around when there are now other options such as Gabriel Davis and Isaiah Hodgins?

Three of those targets were not anywhere near him.  A tipped ball landing at his feet, one out-of-bounds and a messed up 3rd and long play at the end. He had another nice reception called pack on a holding penalty by Kroft, maybe?  I'd give the DBs a pbu in both cases and am of the opinion that they therefore can't be a "drop"  as many refer to them.   I think he might be shelved on the PS again but maybe he gets claimed by some WR needy team.  The Jets would make some sense.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Duke will not likely make this team's 53. But, I don't think he will last long on the PS, either. A player who comes in late in the season as he did last year, and makes impact plays with a higher completion percentage than the guy throwing him the ball will get a serious look from other teams, imo.

28 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I think Duke will not likely make this team's 53. But, I don't think he will last long on the PS, either. A player who comes in late in the season as he did last year, and makes impact plays with a higher completion percentage than the guy throwing him the ball will get a serious look from other teams, imo.

I agree with you (except I don’t think he even makes the PS).  To date Duke has not distinguished himself in any way. The pool of potential NFL WRs who are at or exceed the minimum physical abilities to play in the league is incredibly deep.  The ones that stay are the few that figure out the game and can separate themselves from those at the bottom of rosters.  I have seen no evidence that Duke has done that - and at 27 he’s not improving much from here on out.  There are too many younger (5 years younger) players out there who have abilities and potential that exceed Duke’s.  There is zero reason to keep him on this roster or PS this season if he can’t contribute in a very meaningful way right now.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2