Could Frank Reich, in his '92 form, get the 2020 Bills to a Super Bowl?

LB48

In '92, Reich appeared in 16 regular season games and threw 47 passes for 221 yards, 0 TDs, 2 ints and completed 51% of his passes.

I think you should consider whether 208 posts is an unreasonable goal.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Weo, be nice.  LB, revisionist history is fun, but look at his games played post hall of fame team in the Bills.  In Carolina, NYJ, and Detroit he was mediocre at best.  Yes, it’s great to reminisce about the greatest comeback and even the win the next week against Pittsburgh, in Pittsburgh, but as Polian said in his HOF speech, he was the greatest back up QB in NFL history.  Whether that’s true or not, who knows, but he wasn’t a starting QB.  Consider he had Reed, Thurmon and company to throw to and the line he threw behind with a very good defense.

• Like (+1) 1

Uhhhhhhhh what?? The guy threw almost as many interceptions as he did touchdowns-although to be fair he didn’t throw that many interceptions (40 Ted, 36 int). He will always be loved for the comeback, but man, to think a career back up quarterback would be better suited to run this team than Josh....yikes

I do remember at a young age so many fans during the Miracle at Rich playoffs getting mad when the Bills put a healthier Kelly back in the week after a Reich led team beat Pittsburgh in the Divisional round. After Kelly dismantled Miami it made me start to realize fans should not make personnel decisions. 

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Leonhart2017 said:

I do remember at a young age so many fans during the Miracle at Rich playoffs getting mad when the Bills put a healthier Kelly back in the week after a Reich led team beat Pittsburgh in the Divisional round. After Kelly dismantled Miami it made me start to realize fans should not make personnel decisions. 

This board and the fan base in general likes the underdog story.  Sometimes the underdogs like Thurman and Andre turn out to be HOF players. Most of the time they turn out to be like Reich. One bright moment in a career of awful play. For a while I thought it was race related. Reich was loved by the fans but Jason Peters not. Now I think it is more draft status and money. They loved Stevie Johnson but hated Watkins. The fans helped chase Lynch out of town but at least Fred Jackson was a worthy underdog replacement. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LB48 said:

Frank was solid!  Didn't make mistakes and was a student of the game.  Not a flashy passer but accurate and a team leader.

What do you think???

Where did you get the didn't make mistakes from? Career 36 interceptions with only 20 career starts. Also threw a pick 6 in the comeback game and had another throw go right threw a defenders hands. 

The guys here dissing Frank are being very disingenuous.   Reich went 4-2 as a starter from '89-'91, threw 15 touchdowns to only 4 interceptions and had a passer rating over 100 (when that really meant something).  His '92 regular season stats all came in mop up duty.  In his two playoff starts that year he threw 6 TDs against 1 interception (which was the deflected pick six).  He was a GREAT backup QB.  

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Most of the time they turn out to be like Reich. One bright moment in a career of awful play. For a while I thought it was race related. Reich was loved by the fans but Jason Peters not. 

This take is so laughably terrible i can only assume you are too young to have been a fan during the '90s run.  Reich was crazy clutch during those playoff years.  And many, many fans were calling for him to take Kelly's job at certain points during this time frame.  Fans love for Reich had nothing to do with race...lol...and everything to do with his clutch play. 

1 hour ago, Leonhart2017 said:

After Kelly dismantled Miami it made me start to realize fans should not make personnel decisions. 

Kelly looked shaky as hell, threw for 177 yards 1 TD and 2 picks in that game.  We won with our defense, running game and Christie's leg.  Frank Reich absolutely could have easily won that game.

46 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

This take is so laughably terrible i can only assume you are too young to have been a fan during the '90s run.  Reich was crazy clutch during those playoff years.  And many, many fans were calling for him to take Kelly's job at certain points during this time frame.  Fans love for Reich had nothing to do with race...lol...and everything to do with his clutch play. 

Lol. I was in my early 20's and remember just fine. Take off the rose colored glasses. He was 1-2 as a starter in 1990 and 1991 with a grand total of 104 pass attempts. In 1992 and 1993 he started no games and attempted a grand total of 40 passes.  Hardly clutch during those playoff years. The comeback game he threw for four touchdowns but as I stated before he also threw a pick six. And one of the four TDs should not have counted as Beebe stepped-up of bounds before he caught the ball. The Pittsburgh game he threw for 160 yards. The defense won that game. 

So yes he was clutch in one game. The rest of his career he was non-descript.  And yes delusional fans wanted a career backup to replace a future HOF QB. After leaving Buffalo his QB ratings were 58.7, 68.9, 21.7, and 78.9.