Bills Mobile: Darnold vs. Allen: Who will throw more TD passes in '20?

Well, Mims and Perriman certainly need to get healthy for Darnold to have any shot at success.

If his top three WRs are Chris Hogan, Jeff Smith, and Jamison Crowder, well.....

Reading through their big scrimmage today, I saw that the starting offense failed to score a touchdown against the second string defense in SIX TRIES! They also turned the ball over twice, one of which was a pick-six from Darnold.

I'm not going to over-react to one scrimmage, but it's telling that their starting offense got absolutely dominated by their second string defense.

Based on surrounding personnel and opportunity alone, Allen should have the better year. If that happens, the Jets have no one to blame but themselves. I've said it many times, and I'll say it once more: What the Jets are doing to Darnold is borderline criminal. It's almost like they're actively TRYING to sabotage him. 

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/darnold-vs-allen-who-will-throw-more-td-passes-in-20

❤️....   I’m not sure what she said but I agree 

I personally do not care about TD passes.  I care about which team has more wins.  

The Jets D should be worse and therefore I would expect Darnold to have to do more over the course of the year, but it means nothing.  I want wins and playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Logic said:

Well, Mims and Perriman certainly need to get healthy for Darnold to have any shot at success.

If his top three WRs are Chris Hogan, Jeff Smith, and Jamison Crowder, well.....

Reading through their big scrimmage today, I saw that the starting offense failed to score a touchdown against the second string defense in SIX TRIES! They also turned the ball over twice, one of which was a pick-six from Darnold.

I'm not going to over-react to one scrimmage, but it's telling that their starting offense got absolutely dominated by their second string defense.

Based on surrounding personnel and opportunity alone, Allen should have the better year. If that happens, the Jets have no one to blame but themselves. I've said it many times, and I'll say it once more: What the Jets are doing to Darnold is borderline criminal. It's almost like they're actively TRYING to sabotage him. 

Sure. But, let's not forget how badly McD managed the start of Allen's career. Although, McD, and Beane did pull it together the following season. The Jets seem to have Darnold on a downward trajectory.

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

I personally do not care about TD passes.  I care about which team has more wins.  

The Jets D should be worse and therefore I would expect Darnold to have to do more over the course of the year, but it means nothing.  I want wins and playoffs.

Playoffs isn't good enough anymore. If this rebuild by Beane and McDermott is going to be successful then they need  to start winning some playoff games. Time to take the next step. Also winning the division would be a nice thing to have this regular season assuming we get one.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Playoffs isn't good enough anymore. If this rebuild by Beane and McDermott is going to be successful then they need  to start winning some playoff games. Time to take the next step. Also winning the division would be a nice thing to have this regular season assuming we get one.

Well you can’t win if you don’t make it - therefore I would rather see Josh and the Bills win more games and win a division- than see Josh throw one more TD pass than Darnold.

Now ideally- both could happen, but again - I am more focused on the Bills winning than a comparison of Josh and Sam’s TD pass totals.  

Now you stated Allen will account for more TDs than Darnold- does that matter to you.  If Allen throws 40 TDs and runs for 10 more and the Bills only win 8 games and Darnold throws 25 TDs and runs for 2, but the Jets win 9 games are you happy?  

15 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Well you can’t win if you don’t make it - therefore I would rather see Josh and the Bills win more games and win a division- than see Josh throw one more TD pass than Darnold.

Now ideally- both could happen, but again - I am more focused on the Bills winning than a comparison of Josh and Sam’s TD pass totals.  

Now you stated Allen will account for more TDs than Darnold- does that matter to you.  If Allen throws 40 TDs and runs for 10 more and the Bills only win 8 games and Darnold throws 25 TDs and runs for 2, but the Jets win 9 games are you happy?  

Winning is all that matters at the end of the day. The Bills are at a point where they need to win at least a playoff game and hopefully go on a run. Just making the playoffs isn't good enough anymore is what meant.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Such a Billsy thing to do, well pre-McBeane anyways......

All in all, I see it as if Josh throws\scores more TD's, we should have more wins because or D should be better.

Edited by snamsnoops

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Not sure either of them is as good as Crowder (I know Crowder is only a slot but he is a might fine slot). The Jets top 3 outside receiver options are reminiscent of the Bills going into 2018 and we know how that ended:

A second round rookie (for Mims see Zay Jones)

A former first round pick who has never really lived up to his draft status (for Perriman see Benjamin)

A guy who has outperformed his draft projections to have a solid career as a depth receiver (for Hogan see Jeremy Kerley)

That is desperate. Crowder and Herndon are their to best receiving weapons. They should throw to both a LOT.

• Like (+1) 3

Homerism aside..and ignoring my issues with the way Deboll calls an offense...I don't see how Darnold throws more TD passes than Allen. The talent around him, so many new players, and his coach make it seem like an uphill battle for him.

21 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Homerism aside..and ignoring my issues with the way Deboll calls an offense...I don't see how Darnold throws more TD passes than Allen. The talent around him, so many new players, and his coach make it seem like an uphill battle for him.

Keep in mind Jets may be playing from behind this year so some garbage td's may occur

Josh has the better OL and better weapons at every position. The only possible question would be at the RB group, but Le'Veon Bell is not the same player he was in Pittsburgh. And Gore? Yeah, we all saw that last year and now he's a year older. I'd take Singletary and Moss all day. This is an easy call imo. Josh will throw at least 10 more TD's than Darnold. 

2 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

Keep in mind Jets may be playing from behind this year so some garbage td's may occur

I don't subscribe to any theory that garbage time stats have a significant impact on the overall stats of a QB over the course of a season.

I'm sure there's an exception out there where a team stunk and was blown out frequently, but the QB ended up with substantially better season long stats from things that happened when they were say...14 plus points down in games they ended up losing. It's certainly not the norm and I would seriously doubt that it would impact this particular 'contest' between the two QBs to any degree worth mentioning.

• Like (+1) 1