Lack of legit backup QB may be Bills' 2020 Achilles heel

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

There are no great shakes out there.  The best is probably Bortles, but it seems they're fine with Barkley and will probably go with Fromm if it looks like Josh will miss a significant portion of the season.

Duly noted.

See?  Atta boy...

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

LOL!  "Atta boy" what?  I just told you "thanks for the opinion...now go get your shinebox!"

You just went from Barkley wins wins those 5 games to Josh has a "good shot" at winning those games to the Bills would probably go with Fromm over Barkely.

Your fastest flip ever.  I'm impressed.

lol...."shine box".  OK, Spider...

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You just went from Barkley wins wins those 5 games to Josh has a "good shot" at winning those games to the Bills would probably go with Fromm over Barkely.

Your fastest flip ever.  I'm impressed.

lol...."shine box".  OK, Spider...

If you have to resort to making stuff up...

37 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I know it only takes one, but very few of those guys are signing with a team with an established starter. Keenum and Hoyer, probably.  I'd guess that if Flacco cant start he will retire pretty quickly, for example.

Well, maybe I'm wrong about Flscco.  Had forgotten he went to the Jets. 

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Always running from your posts 

No, just your twisting of them and claiming "see, you always come around" when you can't admit you lost.  At least you had the good sense to do so in the Kittle thread. Nom nom.

If almost any team in the league loses its starting QB they are *****. There are very few teams in the league that have quality backup options. Outside of maybe a team with an established vet in front of a highly touted QB or a fluky situation like the Eagles where there is one QB in the league that functions so well with that team but nowhere else. The Bills even did invest a 5th round pick in the position this past draft to try and add a developmental prospect to the QB room.

Is Barkley a top tier backup QB? No, no he is not, but can he be trusted to go 2-2 in a 4 game stretch managing games if Josh has to miss a month of the season? Yes, I think he is a serviceable backup. I also think beyond him being a decent backup QB, Barkley is beloved in the locker room and won't rock Josh's confidence. Backup QB is fine, Fromm is the long term guy 2 years from now, Barkley is fine for 2020 and 2021.

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Doc said:

No, just your twisting of them and claiming "see, you always come around" when you can't admit you lost.  At least you had the good sense to do so in the Kittle thread. Nom nom.

I posted your own words doc...

6 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Is Barkley a top tier backup QB? No, no he is not, but can he be trusted to go 2-2 in a 4 game stretch managing games if Josh has to miss a month of the season? Yes, I think he is a serviceable backup. 

I am intrigued as to what makes you think that? He is 2-5 as a starter. 10 touchdowns, 25 turnovers. That doesn't scream .500 football. 

I guess I was foolish for thinking we could go at least a couple weeks without this horse getting beaten again.

You're just abusing a bag of glue at this point.  Throw in a couple original "Patriots get a compensation pick" jokes and a derailment into a Covid squabble and we'll have the original thread trifecta. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

I guess I was foolish for thinking we could go at least a couple weeks without this horse getting beaten again.

You're just abusing a bag of glue at this point.  Throw in a couple original "Patriots get a compensation pick" jokes and a derailment into a Covid squabble and we'll have the original thread trifecta. 

?Uh-oh, this is gonna come back to bite us when the Patriots pick up another 6th round comp pick.

(My bad 1Man, the fruit was just so low, couldn’t help myself :doh:

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have named the 9 I'd have had interest in this year. The dream for next year is that we bring Fitz home. His last ride in the NFL backing up Josh on a Bills team that can contend for a championship. That would be pretty cool. If not him then the likes of Dalton and Brissett would meet the criteria.

If Fitzy’s spin cycle holds up, then he should be available just in time, right? Also, he could provide some solid beard support which Josh also needs :w00t:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am intrigued as to what makes you think that? He is 2-5 as a starter. 10 touchdowns, 25 turnovers. That doesn't scream .500 football. 

With this team's elite defense, solid special teams,  hopefully strong running game and solid skill position talent I think Barkley can game manage this team to .500. Context is key. The 2-5 record probably wasn't with nearly as strong a team. 

Is Barkley generally speaking a .500 QB? No but on this team he is. 

16 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

With this team's elite defense, solid special teams,  hopefully strong running game and solid skill position talent I think Barkley can game manage this team to .500. Context is key. The 2-5 record probably wasn't with nearly as strong a team. 

Let's hope we never have to find out, because I am far from convinced.

25 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

With all due respect, I don’t get this point.  It’s like your woman cheats on you all the time but you keep forgiving her.  But now, because you bought her a better house and got her a ring, she will suddenly be an awesome partner?

Sometimes you need to go with the overwhelming evidence that Matt Barkley is a nice guy but is barely a nfl qb.  His arm in a windy day in November will be an absolute disaster.  

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Gunner

As you can tell, I take a lot of cues from Belichick.  What you say about a veteran quality backup makes sense.  It's interesting that that hasn't been Belichick's approach.

He has had Brian Hoyer three times (including currently) who is the epitome of that. His other backups have been high ceiling guys he has drafted on day 2 - Ryan Mallett, Jimmy G and Jacoby Brissett. That is the other way of doing it. That is a bit different than picking up street FAs and drafting guys on day 3.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Gunner

As you can tell, I take a lot of cues from Belichick.  What you say about a veteran quality backup makes sense.  It's interesting that that hasn't been Belichick's approach.

?

shaw as you know, I get a lot of dating advice from Leonardo Dicarpio and financial advice from Jeff Bezos. ?

and brian Hoyer >>> Matt Barkley 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

He has had Brian Hoyer three times (including currently) who is the epitome of that. His other backups have been high ceiling guys he has drafted on day 2 - Ryan Mallett, Jimmy G and Jacoby Brissett. That is the other way of doing it. That is a bit different than picking up street FAs and drafting guys on day 3.

I literally just posted that haha.  Hoyer is Tom Brady compared to Barkley.  Also, all those guys NE drafted are big armed guys.  Fromm’s arm strength has been a major knock and he played in Georgia.  

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hoyer is Tom Brady compared to Barkley.   

Brian Hoyer has started 38 games in the NFL. He is 16-22 which is below .500, but he has 54 total touchdowns to 40 total turnovers, has a completion percentage just a tick under 60% and has Quarterbacked a team (Houston in 2015) to the post season. He is a top 10 backup. I think in his prime 4 or 5 years ago was probably even a top 3 or 4 backup. That is another comparison that is unfavourable to Matt Barkley.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Brian Hoyer has started 38 games in the NFL. He is 16-22 which is below .500, but he has 54 total touchdowns to 40 total turnovers, has a completion percentage just a tick under 60% and has Quarterbacked a team (Houston in 2015) to the post season. He is a top 10 backup. I think in his prime 4 or 5 years ago was probably even a top 3 or 4 backup. That is another comparison that is unfavourable to Matt Barkley.

I’m not sure if you did it yet, but do you have a backup list ranking?

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m not sure if you did it yet, but do you have a backup list ranking?

Think there was discussion in a thread earlier in the summer - a lot of it depends who you class as a "backup." For example on Hoyer, who is the starter? Who is the #2 and who is the #3? I basically have them tiered roughly as follows (and excluding the teams who will start the season with rookies as the #2 - ie. Dolphins, Chargers, Packers and Eagles plus the Bears where I don't know who doesn't start but either Foles or Trubisky would make a 6th man in the top two tiers):

Tier 1 - Guys who are still among the best 32 active Quarterbacks

Jameis Winston

Andy Dalton

Tier 2 - Top end backups

Marcus Mariota

Case Keenum

Jacoby Brissett

Tier 3 - Game manager vets + young guys with promise

Joe Flacco

Nick Mullens

Brian Hoyer

Kyle Allen

Tier 4 - Serviceable

AJ McCarron

RG III

Colt McCoy

Mason Rudolph

Tier 5 -Everyone else

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Think there was discussion in a thread earlier in the summer - a lot of it depends who you class as a "backup." For example on Hoyer, who is the starter? Who is the #2 and who is the #3? I basically have them tiered roughly as follows (and excluding the teams who will start the season with rookies as the #2 - ie. Dolphins, Chargers, Packers and Eagles plus the Bears where I don't know who doesn't start but either Foles or Trubisky would make a 6th man in the top two tiers):

Jameis Winston

Andy Dalton

Tier 2 - Top end backups

Marcus Mariota

Case Keenum

Jacoby Brissett

Joe Flacco

Nick Mullens

Brian Hoyer

Kyle Allen

Tier 4 - Serviceable

AJ McCarron

RG III

Colt McCoy

Mason Rudolph

Tier 5 -Everyone else

Real good list though I think Rudolph is terrible. I’d also take my chances with Love being in tier 3 but that’s a total projection right now. 

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Jameis Winston

Andy Dalton

Tier 2 - Top end backups

Marcus Mariota

Case Keenum

Jacoby Brissett

Joe Flacco

Nick Mullens

Brian Hoyer

Kyle Allen

Tier 4 - Serviceable

AJ McCarron

RG III

Colt McCoy

Mason Rudolph

Tier 5 -Everyone else

GB, you either forgot Tua or Fitz however it should be classified.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Thanks for responding.   I agree.   I'd love to have Hoyer, who started out as one of his young guys, too.  

Actually, I think Fromm is similar to what you call "high ceiling" guys, although I wouldn't argue, either then or now, that his ceiling is as high.  Still, I'm guessing Fromm will have a long career in the NFL.  He'll be a Hoyer.   

Also, when Brady was young and they were winning Super Bowls, Belichick went three or four years with Rohan Davey and then took Matt Cassell in the 7th round.  He hasn't always gone the high ceiling route.  

I don't say any of that to argue with you.   I don't disagree that the Bills would be better off with a true high ceiling guy rather than Fromm, or with a Flacco or Fitz if you could get them.    

I think in having a young, on the rise, unquestioned leader around the building at QB that is *constantly* questioned by the outside world - signing someone like Jameis Winston, Andy Dalton, or Marcus Mariota would have sent the wrong message to everyone and could have messed with the chemistry of the QB room.

Given our situation and wanting Josh to be comfortable as the guy around here, I think we made the best move. Which was keeping Josh with the guy he's been with for the past two seasons in Matt Barkley and stealing a top end QB prospect in the 5th in Jake Fromm. 

This is Josh's team. We live and die on his success this year. Any team (save for a couple) is screwed if their QB1 goes down. And in Fromm, you don't know. He could very well be a solid backup out the gate.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The thing is, Hoyer went 5-4 in that 2015 season.  The Texans made the playoffs at 9-7, meaning the other guys took them to 4-3.  And since then he's 1-17 as a starter.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Jameis Winston

Andy Dalton

Tier 2 - Top end backups

Marcus Mariota

Case Keenum

Jacoby Brissett

Joe Flacco

Nick Mullens

Brian Hoyer

Kyle Allen

Tier 4 - Serviceable

AJ McCarron

RG III

Colt McCoy

Mason Rudolph

Tier 5 -Everyone else

That's a good list.  Thanks.  

I don't know, but I bet McBeane would rank Barkley Tier 3 or Tier 4.   My only evidence is that if Beane thinks Barkley is Tier 5, he would have gotten someone else.  

Everything else is just quibbles.  Mariota might be Tier 1.  Flacco is unique - I wouldn't call him a game manager and he isn't young with promise, but he's probably in the right group.  McCarron is, I think, no better than Barkley.  RG III is unique, maybe useless on the wrong team, a great spark on another.  

Thanks.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Again, who are they beating on that schedule with Barkley?

I listed some they can/could beat Scott.  Which were in addition to the Jets and Chargers, who you mentioned, after first claiming they would be lucky to win just 1.

Edited by Doc

How many teams have a good #2 option? And that #2 option the times you’re thinking of have — how many could lead a playoff run if they had to play in 10 or more games? C’mon. The situation is fine. Could it be better? Sure. But ya go to war with what ya got, and I like our squad. 

• Like (+1) 1