Bills Training Camp - Week 1 of padded practices starts page 10

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is kind of the point. Di Marco doesn't do the same job as Taiwan Jones or Tyler Matakevich. Jones is a gunner. Matakevich is a tackling demon. That isn't what you put a full back out there to do. He is there to engage the return teams blockers to keep them off of guys like Matakevich so that they can get down field and make tackles. Think of him as the special team equivalent of someone like Star as a defensive lineman responsible for occupying opponents rather than making loads of plays himself. On punt return DiMarco protects the punt catcher, on kick returns he plays one of what they used to call the wedge positions but they don't call them that now because the pure "wedge block" is outlawed. On Bills punts he normally plays the left wing, but I think has done some personal protector in the past.

Is he irreplaceable? No, he isn't. Would the rookie offer more on offense? Probably. Is he a potentially more athletic option on special teams? Yes. But some of those old veteran smarts and nuances to the position you only know you miss when they are gone. Having lost Zo who was one of their ST captains I suspect they will be loathed to lose another one in DiMarco.

I agree about veteran presence and all but the evidence is starting to pile up as to his time in Buffalo coming to an end.

His offensive snap count last year was the lowest since his rookie season. 

His special teams snap count went down from 233 to 156 last year.

He accepted a 700k pay cut this year.  

He is 31 years old on the last year of his contract.

If Gilliam beats him out in TC even with his 500k dead money the team saves 800k in cap.

Taking the pay cut may keep him here for his last year (Gilliam to PS) but I don't think Pat is in any long term plans for the future.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I agree about veteran presence and all but the evidence is starting to pile up as to his time in Buffalo coming to an end.

His offensive snap count last year was the lowest since his rookie season. 

His special teams snap count went down from 233 to 156 last year.

He accepted a 700k pay cut this year.  

He is 31 years old on the last year of his contract.

If Gilliam beats him out in TC even with his 500k dead money the team saves 800k in cap.

Taking the pay cut may keep him here for his last year (Gilliam to PS) but I don't think Pat is in any long term plans for the future.

Oh I absolutely think this is DiMarco's final season. I think they would like to sneak Gilliam on the PS and ease that transition into 2021. If Gilliam just flat beats him out they will cut DiMarco. But he would have to convincingly beat him out in all facets including special teams for that to happen IMO, and I am not convinced it will.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh I absolutely think this is DiMarco's final season. I think they would like to sneak Gilliam on the PS and ease that transition into 2021. If Gilliam just flat beats him out they will cut DiMarco. But he would have to convincingly beat him out in all facets including special teams for that to happen IMO, and I am not convinced it will.

Called it in another thread, one undrafted rookie who makes the team: Gilliam. Surprise cut: DiMarco. I feel more confident in that now. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Thought it was going take them like 3 days to ramp up to full speed so maybe this is an off day before they start to really hit the ground running?

Full contact tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree completely. I don't think a lot of people understand his role on special teams. My assertion is based on having watched the all 22 every week. People don't understand what they are looking at and I hear stuff like "oh he doesn't make many special teams tackles." That isn't his job. Certainly on punt formation they used him as the wing (normally the left wing). A lot of people tried to put the Patriots punt block on him but it wasn't. He motioned several times that he had two guys and the personal protector who was Kurt Coleman should have slid over, but didn't. If Joe actually got into detailed breakdown of where and when he thought DiMarco underperformed on STs last year then I will listen to his podcast and go back and re-look at those instances but if it was just a general "he graded out poorly" then I will stick with my own assessment.

Don’t want to pick nits with you, since you brought it up, shouldn’t a Vet with plenty of experience called a timeout? That play was the game changer. Pat knew how deep the Bills were and that the Pats has been aggressive on ST’s. Leaders take a stand. That block could of been prevented by a timeout. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Don’t want to pick nits with you, since you brought it up, shouldn’t a Vet with plenty of experience called a timeout? That play was the game changer. Pat knew how deep the Bills were and that the Pats has been aggressive on ST’s. Leaders take a stand. That block could of been prevented by a timeout. 

Possibly. We don't know what they are coached to do in that situation.