League agrees to no preseason games

9 hours ago, major said:

So no contact with their family from September thorough January. Put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself how that sounds 

imagine being sent overseas for a tour of duty.  ask their families.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

9 hours ago, major said:

So no contact with their family from September thorough January. Put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself how that sounds 

You don't want to know what I'd do for $10 mil a year. ?

Players should do whatever it takes to keep the Money Train rolling.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Al Bundy GIFs | Tenor

LOL!  After being cooped-up with them for the past 4 months, I'm sure 6 months away won't be too tough for them.  And there's always Skype, FaceTime, etc.

15 hours ago, Doc said:

Good for teams with little change from the previous season.

Very good point Doc. I would think this would affect players on defense more. You hear every off season how defenses are tired of practicing against teammates and really want to hit some players on opposing teams instead of playing Patty Cake against their offense. Personally I would've liked to see 1 or 2 pre games but hey, anything to get this season started. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nope. They will play, players will test positive, they will isolate, they will keep playing. It will not be a normal season by any means, hell it might not even be a good product.. but they WILL get their product on tv.

^^  This 110%  ^^

I wonder if teams would be able to have a certain number of "exclusive" practice squad slots to stash a few extra players in case of an outbreak. That way no other team could poach all your reserves that know the game plans and playbooks on you at the last minute, leaving you scrambling to sign anyone to play a game without time to prepare. 

2 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

You don't want to know what I'd do for $10 mil a year. ?

Players should do whatever it takes to keep the Money Train rolling.

How about this scenario.  You made $1.5 million 3 years ago, $2 million 2 years ago, and last year you made $5 million.  Are you still playing football this year and living in the bubble?

I wouldn't be, I'd rehab my body and be ready for next year.

I expected one but I get it, I think we all get it.  Early games will largely be determined by preparedness of teams/players. Those with good organizations and consistency of key players/coaches from last year will be in an advantage.  I think the Bills are in good shape.......just really hope they can actually get through the season, I have my doubts.

13 minutes ago, driddles said:

How about this scenario.  You made $1.5 million 3 years ago, $2 million 2 years ago, and last year you made $5 million.  Are you still playing football this year and living in the bubble?

I would. A six-month quarantine is a small price to pay when you're talking about making more in a year than the average American can make in 200 years.

Then there's this: How sure are you of having a job next year if you sit out and the majority of your teammates don't? They may or may not have a problem with it. But I'd be willing to bet that the front office and coaching staff might be looking for more dedicated, "team" players.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

I would. A six-month quarantine is a small price to pay when you're talking about making more in a year than the average American can make in 200 years.

Then there's this: How sure are you of having a job next year if you sit out and the majority of your teammates don't? They may or may not have a problem with it. But I'd be willing to bet that the front office and coaching staff might be looking for more dedicated, "team" players.

Someone like me, I'm not going to be any happier with 13 million than I am with the 8 I theoretically already have.  If my job was taken next year, well I've made 8 and I got out of the NFL with reasonable health.

On the potential plus side, rehabbing for a year might allow the player to last another couple of years.  

I can't see the motivation for anyone who has already made bank.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'll be surprised if real games are played "on time" in early September. 

If we are lucky, the skipping of the preseason this year will stick.

Once its gone, no point in going back.

Sell advertising space on the jerseys and get the revenue back that way if they have to.

Just no more pre-season football! 

4 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The best part about this is that we can finally put to bed the debate about whether, and to what extent, preseason matters. 

I don't think that's true if the product drops off this year (which...how do we even quantify that?)

If play is more sloppy this season, it isn't necessarily due to the lack of preseason games. Players' offseason routines were totally thrown off this year as well as training camp and preseason.

2 hours ago, driddles said:

1 hour ago, driddles said:

Someone like me, I'm not going to be any happier with 13 million than I am with the 8 I theoretically already have.  If my job was taken next year, well I've made 8 and I got out of the NFL with reasonable health.

On the potential plus side, rehabbing for a year might allow the player to last another couple of years.  

I can't see the motivation for anyone who has already made bank.  

How many people have millions or billions of dollars, who you think "how much more can they want, they'll never be able to spend what they have," and still try to make more?  Then there are those players, usually the highly-paid ones, who are going for more than money; they're going for legacy. 

And the future is never guaranteed.  You may think you can sit out and rehab, but someone may take your place.  Never give anyone the chance to make you obsolete.

17 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

this is about 90% of what this is all about.  NFLPA has been trying to get rid of PS for years. Now the precedent has been set. Next year they can say See, we didn't have them last year and everything worked out.

I guess it's really a test.  If the on-field product is horrid in week 1, I can see a non-COVID scenario of 2-3 preseason games.  Which is still a win for the NFLPA I suppose.  

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

Sucks big time for the guys trying to get on a roster.

this.  it's almost impossible to make a roster over an incumbent w/o preseason, IMO.  

• Like (+1) 2