Mahomes Ten Year Deal with Chiefs

This will benefit Mahomes more than the team.

I'm pretty confident any signing bonus can only be spread out over 5 years.  This means that the salary cap is going to be high for the next 5 years.  The remaining years will have lower caps, but if Mahomes is still at the top of his game, it will be restructed anyways.  If he stinks or get hurt, he collects anyways.

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Except that he's probably getting a massive guaranteed bonus up front. 

This. Depending on up front bonus money, he could invest and get the possibly the same or greater return on compounding interest compared to fajita chasing market value. 

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

I'm pretty confident any signing bonus can only be spread out over 5 years.  This means that the salary cap is going to be high for the next 5 years.  The remaining years will have lower caps, but if Mahomes is still at the top of his game, it will be restructed anyways.  If he stinks or get hurt, he collects anyways.

It’s a 10 year extension.  He’s already under contract for 2 more seasons.  The bonus will likely then be spread out 3-8 seasons from now.

Just now, Billl said:

It’s a 10 year extension.  He’s already under contract for 2 more seasons.  The bonus will likely then be spread out 3-8 seasons from now.

It can't.  Next 5 years according to CBA unless Mahomes if getting zero dollars today to sign that extension, which then why would he sign it?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

The team is making more than him and will make a lot more if he wins them many titles. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The deal has to be tied to the salary cap, right? Otherwise this would be insane, for both parties. How do you take into account what the cap is in 10 years? 

That was my first thought.  Maybe his salary is a certain % of the salary cap each year guaranteeing he continues to get fair market value (maybe 18 to 20% of the team's cap).

Edited by Doc Brown

Just now, Doc Brown said:

That was my first thought.  Maybe his salary is a certain % of the salary cap each year guaranteeing he continues to get fair market value (maybe 17% or so).

Escalators, performance bonuses, opt-outs - lot of ways  to build in some flexibility while also getting him a big payday right now.

17 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

The team is making more than him and will make a lot more if he wins them many titles. 

Huh?  Not sure that is even a debate that an NFL team brings in more than 40 million a year in revenue.

I'm talking about risk vs reward.  A team being tied to 10 years is a lot more risky than Mahomes being tied to 10 years.  If Mahomes gets really hurt, the team is still liable for the contract.  Mahomes risk is maybe losing out on a couple million, but he is setting the market and everyone will need to be below him anyways, so not sure there is even any risk there.

52 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Is it north of 300 million do you think? 

I would expect $450M- $500M. Wlson already makes $35M a year. Inflation ten years from now, with a new TV deal on the way could massively change the cap. If he didn't get at least $450M, it's an awful deal.

3 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Huh?  Not sure that is even a debate that an NFL team brings in more than 40 million a year in revenue.

I'm talking about risk vs reward.  A team being tied to 10 years is a lot more risky than Mahomes being tied to 10 years.  If Mahomes gets really hurt, the team is still liable for the contract.  Mahomes risk is maybe losing out on a couple million, but he is setting the market and everyone will need to be below him anyways, so not sure there is even any risk there.

contracts are insured for career ending injury.