Jump to content
Arkady Renko

Murphy Out at One Bills Live - Brown and Glab to Replace

Recommended Posts

Shoulda been Sal C.

 

maddys voice is just annoying 

sounds like cats being stalked together

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MJS said:

Let's hope Glab is only on rarely.

 

Brown and Tasker would be ok. I'd rather it be Brown and someone else, though. Eric Wood would be better.

 

Wood be Friggin awesome didn't think about him. Have sal replace Dopp and GR  would be much better.W

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

The other night, I watched the Fitzpatrick roast of Fred Jackson (yep... I am that deep into missing sports...), and Murphy introduced Fitz. I was actually blown away at how witty, and probably not-radio-friendly, some of Murph's quips were. He had me LOLing a few times, no doubt.

 

It makes me agree with many on here that maybe the three hour propaganda fest, and some of the callers who had next to nothing to say, were wearing on Murph. He may be a homer, but he kinda is paid to be, and you never doubted that he loved the Bills (compare him to Mike "I enjoy peering at pictures of Tom Brady by candlelight, while touching my nether regions" RODENT, covering us for ESPN...). I have to say thanks for the years of service. 

 

the callers are the worst, i usually fast forwarded through them and add in the huge amount of commercials and i could blaze through the show in an hr and half 👍👍

 

 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, die hard bills fan said:

Murphy and Tasker were hard to listen to but feel bad for Murphy.  He is very passionate about the bills and gotta be a big disappointment for him.  Only way I can see him wanting to leave if it was a health issue. Brown is awesome as adds insight but wonder if he will be pulled away from practices and not know as much now.  Glab is ok, adds youth.

 

Murph was very good. Not sure why some say otherwise. As far as leaving the show is concerned, maybe he just wants to have more free time. He's not getting any younger and I'd wager he's set for life. We'll see. If he takes another full time job, he was gently pushed. If he's spending more time fishing or skiing, it was his own choice.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

So was the Fabulous Sports Babe .... but when you saw her picture?  🤮🤮🤮

 

Sports babe was awesome, great to listen to and it was not her voice. She really knew how to do a talk show, ahh the 90s good times.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

I guess I'm in the minority, but I still really like Murph and over the last few years I've gotten many hours of enjoyment listening to the show while taking my walks. I'm even pretty fond of Tasker, though I admit his sentences often change direction in pretty perplexing ways.

 

Brown often has good insight, so I enjoy him in short bursts. I'm a little skeptical about listening to him for three hours at a time, though. Guess we'll see.

I like both Murph, Tasker and Brown. The latter as more of a guest. Glab, I don't care for at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing to me how different the takes are: I think Murphy's great - a consummate pro who keeps the conversation moving, not a stat geek or a football guru but very knowledgeable about the Bills, and the NFL in general. Outstanding voice for radio, so glad he stays for the play by play. Doubt I'll listen going forward, sadly...

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

So was the Fabulous Sports Babe .... but when you saw her picture?  🤮🤮🤮

 

Fortunately for the men on the board she's a lesbian so there's nothing to worry about there. 

3 hours ago, GreggTX said:

 

Murph was very good. Not sure why some say otherwise. As far as leaving the show is concerned, maybe he just wants to have more free time. He's not getting any younger and I'd wager he's set for life. We'll see. If he takes another full time job, he was gently pushed. If he's spending more time fishing or skiing, it was his own choice.

 

People don't realize how good Murph is.  It is hard to do a three hour live TV show every day.  And it's really hard to do it when football is out of season.  

 

It sucks that Murph is leaving, but if he has to go Chris Brown will do a really nice job as a replacement.  Brownie is capable of making that show work.  Smart, smooth as glass, and also a great guy. 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

 

Fortunately for the men on the board she's a lesbian so there's nothing to worry about there. 

 

People don't realize how good Murph is.  It is hard to do a three hour live TV show every day.  And it's really hard to do it when football is out of season.  

 

It sucks that Murph is leaving, but if he has to go Chris Brown will do a really nice job as a replacement.  Brownie is capable of making that show work.  Smart, smooth as glass, and also a great guy. 


The love for Chris Brown boggles my mind.  He’s hosted for Murph before and the shows have been very boring.   That’s what we have to look forward to

  • Meh 1
  • Skeptical 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nickrage said:

Shoulda been Sal C.

 

maddys voice is just annoying 

sounds like cats being stalked together

 

I wonder if Sal is a WGR employee therefore, there is a barrier to him being the official host of that show?  I know though, that he fills in from time to time... but maybe that is considered a "WGR" show and not a "Bills" show when that happens?  

Or maybe he declined because too much workload?  Or maybe he wasnt asked.

 

Im not the biggest Sal fan (although I have warmed up a bit because he has gone easy on the yelling into the microphone for no reason), but he seems like a natural fit to host One Bills Live.

 

But yeah, Brown and Glab sounds like a bad show.  I dont mind Brown in spurts.  Glab is in no way an 'expert' or even particularly knowledgeable.  This is fine if you are the 'broadcaster professional' who keeps the show moving, helps dialog along, etc.... but she gives the vibe that she isnt great behind the mic and often it sounds like a college radio station.  

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Murphy turned into a miserable old crank and laughably biased and ignorant homer. It was unlistenable and won't get better with Glab, I literally caught less than 2 minutes of her on my way home from work, when we used to go to the office (!), and she's horrible too. So they took off one turd and replaced it with another. No thanks. 

  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, May Day 10 said:

 

I wonder if Sal is a WGR employee therefore, there is a barrier to him being the official host of that show?  I know though, that he fills in from time to time... but maybe that is considered a "WGR" show and not a "Bills" show when that happens?  

Or maybe he declined because too much workload?  Or maybe he wasnt asked.

 

Im not the biggest Sal fan (although I have warmed up a bit because he has gone easy on the yelling into the microphone for no reason), but he seems like a natural fit to host One Bills Live.

 

But yeah, Brown and Glab sounds like a bad show.  I dont mind Brown in spurts.  Glab is in no way an 'expert' or even particularly knowledgeable.  This is fine if you are the 'broadcaster professional' who keeps the show moving, helps dialog along, etc.... but she gives the vibe that she isnt great behind the mic and often it sounds like a college radio station.  

 


I would listen to Sal as host.  I do think the Bills wanted a PSE employee to host the show which is probably why he wasn’t given the job.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s how you view the world.

 

I just never needed my hosts to sweet talk and spin every Bills story positively. 

I didn’t need Chris Brown to trumpet the arrival of Doug Marrone after the 5-day “no stone unturned” Coaching search, or explain how big WRs with a large catch radius would help their young QBs, or how Trent Edwards gave the Bills a chance in every game because he didn’t turn the ball over.
 

Chris has been with the Bills forever. He loves every move they make, he marginalizes other teams success, and asks the softest questions I have ever heard postgame. He has learned to repeat cliches that our bad Coaches over the years have said. That’s his knowledge of football. 
 

I don’t learn anything because he is a common fan with a microphone. He doesn’t “know” football, just like Sal doesn’t “know” football. They listen to the same Coaches press conferences as we do, and tell you what they say. There is no Jay Glazer/Adam Schefter type inside information. 

Just keep bringing Greg Cosell on so we can get accurate, film based opinions on the Bills. That part they got right. 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

It’s how you view the world.

 

I just never needed my hosts to sweet talk and spin every Bills story positively. 

I didn’t need Chris Brown to trumpet the arrival of Doug Marrone after the 5-day “no stone unturned” Coaching search, or explain how big WRs with a large catch radius would help their young QBs, or how Trent Edwards gave the Bills a chance in every game because he didn’t turn the ball over.
 

Chris has been with the Bills forever. He loves every move they make, he marginalizes other teams success, and asks the softest questions I have ever heard postgame. He has learned to repeat cliches that our bad Coaches over the years have said. That’s his knowledge of football. 
 

I don’t learn anything because he is a common fan with a microphone. He doesn’t “know” football, just like Sal doesn’t “know” football. They listen to the same Coaches press conferences as we do, and tell you what they say. There is no Jay Glazer/Adam Schefter type inside information. 

Just keep bringing Greg Cosell on so we can get accurate, film based opinions on the Bills. That part they got right. 

 


This is probably the most accurate review of Chris Brown I’ve ever read.  

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that show is way too much of a homer show anyway.  Could not even criticize the obvious shortfalls 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, offyourocker said:

that show is way too much of a homer show anyway.  Could not even criticize the obvious shortfalls 

 

State propaganda is not exactly known for its objectivity.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:


Chris Brown is “the best locally?”  I feel there are a lot of good reporters who cover the Bills beat....he is not one of them.

You’re welcome to your opinion -not that anybody agrees with you. Read below to see how an intelligent post is compromised.

11 hours ago, folz said:

As an out-of-towner, I actually listen to the show quite a bit, to feel connected and to hear discussion of our Bills. To be honest, yes, Murph and Tasker are not the greatest talk show hosts. Task often changes his opinions in mid-ramble and Murph often doesn't understand caller's points and isn't always polite to guests. But, I will miss Murphy's knowledge of team history, going back to the old Rock pile/AFL days, and not only do I like when Tasker talks about the 90s teams and his career, but I have a feeling that he (along with money from PSE) really helped to bring on some of the higher profile guests over the last couple of years (with his respect as a former player and his connections from all the years at CBS). Plus, what Bills fan doesn't just love Tasker regardless? So, it will be sad to see them go for those reasons. And even if they weren't the best, they are part of the family. They did bring something to the table, even if they weren't the most entertaining or knowledgeable hosts. I still enjoyed listening to them.

 

As to Brown and Glab, I think some of you are being much too harsh. Yes, Brown works for the team, so he will never be overly negative about the organization. But, first of all, there are plenty of other places to get negative news about the team. And secondly, Brown's position, basically being embedded with the team for the last decade plus, often gives him a much deeper perspective about the team than a regular reporter from the outside can give. Brown knows this team inside and out and he knows football. On his appearances on the show, he would get into much more depth about play calling, personnel, etc. than Murphy or Tasker ever would. I don't always agree with every take he has about particular players or whatever, but the guy knows his stuff. And he has strong, sometimes negative opinions that he shares on players or coaching or whatever, he just won't be the one to say break a Bills scandal or talk about that in a negative light maybe. Also, don't listen to a show paid for by the team if you don't want a generally positive outlook on the team.

 

And I'm wondering how many of you have actually listened to one of the shows where Maddy filled in as host (rather than just hearing one of the more fluff pieces that they would bring her in for). She may not have a full grasp of Buffalo Bills history yet (as some derailed her for), but she is only 27 and probably never gave the Bills a second thought before she was hired like a year ago. So, give her some time to get up to speed. She is learning. But, she is actually very knowledgeable about football. She's not just "a pretty face" as they say. She worked as a reporter and video producer for the University of Missouri, Stanford, and the University of Tennessee football, was an athlete herself (softball), and was an SEC reporter before coming to Buffalo. And on the One Bills Live shows that she has hosted, she actually impressed guys like Greg Cosell with her football knowledge/questions. Yes, her voice takes some getting used to, no doubt. But just because she is a young woman, don't automatically assume that she doesn't know what she is talking about when it comes to football or the current players on the team or in the league.

 

I'm not saying I wouldn't have been down if they had hired from outside the organization, but I just don't think Brown or Glab are as bad as you guys are making them out to be.

 

And before you ask, no, I do not work for the Bills or PSE, and I am not related to anyone discussed above. 😊

Insightful. Thank you.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will kind of miss Murph.  Maybe because we are about the same age so have the same get off my lawn attitude.  He was very passionate about the Bills, that can't be denied.  I like C Brown too but could do without the Glabster.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't say I'm a Murphy fan, but what is with radio's general attitude about not giving their hosts runway for their goodbyes? It happens more often than not that hosts announce their goodbye on their last broadcast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well a lot of people here will be happy (including me)  but will have to find another whipping boy now that Murph is stepping down . I wonder if the Peg's didn't want Murph back as the radio guy ? 🤔 

 

Browny has a really good football mind IMHO but i know there are those here that will bash him just because that's they way they are  .

 

I look forward to CB's take Matty i'm not real sure of but we shall see . At least i'm not going to bash them with out giving them a shot .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...