Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Arkady Renko

Murphy Out at One Bills Live - Brown and Glab to Replace

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Dragoon said:

CB is ok, but Mattie encompasses everything wrong with women in sports. She’s just awful. She has the job only because they (Kim) wants a woman for the sake of diversity and Matties cute. But that’s all she’s got. 
 

This will probably be awful and will kill any interest I have in the show. 

In what world is she cute?

  • Confused 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People have been calling for Murphy to be cut all offseason but cutting this one gets us no salary cap relief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dragoon said:

CB is ok, but Mattie encompasses everything wrong with women in sports. She’s just awful. She has the job only because they (Kim) wants a woman for the sake of diversity and Matties cute. But that’s all she’s got. 
 

This will probably be awful and will kill any interest I have in the show. 


This is just so wrong - I really can not believe people think this way.

 

You can say you don’t like the way she broadcasts herself or that because she is new to Buffalo that she lacks knowledge of this sports scene - heck you can even say that you can’t stand her voice and don’t want to listen - all can be explained, but to say they only hired her because she is a cute girl is everything that is wrong with society today.

 

This is not her 1st or 2nd job doing sports broadcasting.  She has Played sports her whole life, is a huge Chicago sports nut since being a kid, got degree in journalism, did media production and relations at both Stanford and Tennessee.  She has the background to do the job and is qualified to perform the job.  She is also a true sports fanatic- so although she lacks intimate knowledge of Buffalo history - she understands the game and the passion.  
 

Her first couple of shows filling in were rough because I think they tried to let Steve as the veteran lead and he is not good as the primary voice, but I thought as she gained experience and they let her do more as a fill in host - she got better.  
 

I can understand if people don’t want to listen if they think her voice is grating - I am that way with Mowins calling MNF, but I can still respect their passion and that they have earned a shot at this because of their credentials.  I look forward to see if Maddy can grow into a role or if she falters because of her lack of Bills knowledge. 
 

I really do not care if she is a guy or a girl (or a talking solar being like Sammy) - if she brings good insight and a passion and brings in lots of players - then great - I will listen.  If she sits there and defers on every topic and can’t keep up with the conversation- then she will fail.  Her gender should have little to do with it.  
 

We saw that with Donald Jones, a former player with loads of knowledge and passion, but terrible at speaking and getting a point across or even keeping up with a topic. 

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:


we’ll have to agree to disagree.  I don’t enjoy listening to Chris Brown and won’t be tuning into One Bills Live.

 

As I explained, I don’t feel he offers enough and I don’t care for his delivery.  He’s just not interesting.  Also with some many nuanced NFL topics, it’s annoying to hear someone so heavily biased.  Keep in mind, in the past he sung the praises of moves like hiring Dick Jauron or drafting CJ Spiller.  
 

Also fans want reporters to ask the questions they want to know - not about the Bills defensive line rotation.  
 

So much for “the best locally”


 

Just like many other fans both on here and throughout Buffalo.

 

Chris Brown is what he is - he is an insider - with tons of interesting tidbits and knowledge - some of which I am sure he can not share and therefore talks himself in circles sometimes.

 

I think both Chris and Maddy provide a definite different approach from Murph and I personally like the insight CB has with the team.  I think he presents many things that guys like Murph and Tasker don’t because of the time spent with the players.  I also don’t mind listening to him at all when he fills in.  CB does lack some overall NFL knowledge because he is so Bills focused, but he has also numerous times talked about good podcasts and other Bills related media that is newer and fresher - like Cover1 - and I think he can update the stale takes Murph and Tasker we’re getting to.

 

I will not say he is the best local reporter - personally I like a couple of guys on the athletic- but there is nothing wrong with his takes and he will need some time to grow into a slightly different role - if this becomes permanent.  
 

Additionally, I have no issues with his questions - he asks pointed questions that he knows will get answered and that are relevant to the team based on what he has seen.  I don’t think his questions are worse than any other reporters and they are much better than the questions asked by guys like Sal M from Rochester or Jerry Sullivan or even a guy like Mike Schopp when people are on WGR.  They don’t ask tough questions people want to know they ask inane questions to stupid trivial things and then complain bitterly when they get a pat answer.  Heck, Jerry even complains about the food provided to try and create a point - right until it is pointed out he is lying.  Give me Chris Browns questions over these guys all day long.

Edited by Rochesterfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Honestly, I don’t understand people who get worked up over who hosts these type of shows. One Bills Live is what it is, it’s mostly feel good stories, with limited critical analysis. There’s nothing wrong with the program, as it serves the purpose of public relations for the team. However, these type of programs aren’t meant to be award winning journalistic ventures, so why do people expect the hosts to be perfect? Maybe I’m just biased because I’m not into sports talk. There’s a lot of in depth sports knowledge out there, but you really don’t find it on any mainstream sports radio/television. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:


This is just so wrong - I really can not believe people think this way.

 

You can say you don’t like the way she broadcasts herself or that because she is new to Buffalo that she lacks knowledge of this sports scene - heck you can even say that you can’t stand her voice and don’t want to listen - all can be explained, but to say they only hired her because she is a cute girl is everything that is wrong with society today.

 

This is not her 1st or 2nd job doing sports broadcasting.  She has Played sports her whole life, is a huge Chicago sports nut since being a kid, got degree in journalism, did media production and relations at both Stanford and Tennessee.  She has the background to do the job and is qualified to perform the job.  She is also a true sports fanatic- so although she lacks intimate knowledge of Buffalo history - she understands the game and the passion.  
 

Her first couple of shows filling in were rough because I think they tried to let Steve as the veteran lead and he is not good as the primary voice, but I thought as she gained experience and they let her do more as a fill in host - she got better.  
 

I can understand if people don’t want to listen if they think her voice is grating - I am that way with Mowins calling MNF, but I can still respect their passion and that they have earned a shot at this because of their credentials.  I look forward to see if Maddy can grow into a role or if she falters because of her lack of Bills knowledge. 
 

I really do not care if she is a guy or a girl (or a talking solar being like Sammy) - if she brings good insight and a passion and brings in lots of players - then great - I will listen.  If she sits there and defers on every topic and can’t keep up with the conversation- then she will fail.  Her gender should have little to do with it.  
 

We saw that with Donald Jones, a former player with loads of knowledge and passion, but terrible at speaking and getting a point across or even keeping up with a topic. 

Ok Karen, simmer down 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dragoon said:

CB is ok, but Mattie encompasses everything wrong with women in sports. She’s just awful. She has the job only because they (Kim) wants a woman for the sake of diversity and Matties cute. But that’s all she’s got. 
 

This will probably be awful and will kill any interest I have in the show. 

Maddy*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 7:35 PM, ColeB said:


Sounds like you guys need Greg Papa to return to his Buffalo roots..

Absolutely! He's the best play by play guy in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 3:35 AM, nickrage said:

Shoulda been Sal C.

 

maddys voice is just annoying 

sounds like cats being stalked together

I just don't get the Sal love. He's so boring and is basically regurgitating accepted opinions. Nothing insightful or groundbreaking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Change, it’s the only constant, CB is fine but a bit dry so to speak, MG, you have to remember, is a raw rookie that needs development, not really, she is a sports nut her whole life, she just hasn’t caught all the way up on the Buffalo scene, give it time folks,  That and it’s like any teams in house reporters, they know where their bread is buttered... 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:


This is just so wrong - I really can not believe people think this way.

 

You can say you don’t like the way she broadcasts herself or that because she is new to Buffalo that she lacks knowledge of this sports scene - heck you can even say that you can’t stand her voice and don’t want to listen - all can be explained, but to say they only hired her because she is a cute girl is everything that is wrong with society today.

 

This is not her 1st or 2nd job doing sports broadcasting.  She has Played sports her whole life, is a huge Chicago sports nut since being a kid, got degree in journalism, did media production and relations at both Stanford and Tennessee.  She has the background to do the job and is qualified to perform the job.  She is also a true sports fanatic- so although she lacks intimate knowledge of Buffalo history - she understands the game and the passion.  
 

Her first couple of shows filling in were rough because I think they tried to let Steve as the veteran lead and he is not good as the primary voice, but I thought as she gained experience and they let her do more as a fill in host - she got better.  
 

I can understand if people don’t want to listen if they think her voice is grating - I am that way with Mowins calling MNF, but I can still respect their passion and that they have earned a shot at this because of their credentials.  I look forward to see if Maddy can grow into a role or if she falters because of her lack of Bills knowledge. 
 

I really do not care if she is a guy or a girl (or a talking solar being like Sammy) - if she brings good insight and a passion and brings in lots of players - then great - I will listen.  If she sits there and defers on every topic and can’t keep up with the conversation- then she will fail.  Her gender should have little to do with it.  
 

We saw that with Donald Jones, a former player with loads of knowledge and passion, but terrible at speaking and getting a point across or even keeping up with a topic. 


if you’re her, I meant no offense. If you’re not her you know a lot about her. 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dragoon said:


if you’re her, I meant no offense. If you’re not her you know a lot about her. 


That was all just from her initial welcome to Buffalo tweet from 2 years ago.

 

A quick bit of research and you could see that she was qualified for the job.

2 hours ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Ok Karen, simmer down 

Perfect response from a MILFHUNTER.  
 

Sorry that I find it insulting that someone would with no knowledge just assume a hire was because they wanted a pretty face and a female in a role.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:


That was all just from her initial welcome to Buffalo tweet from 2 years ago.

 

A quick bit of research and you could see that she was qualified for the job.


As a guy who listens to sports radio I disagree. 
 

Ive heard her segments and they’re about as fun to listen to as the Kars for Kids jingle. 
 

That’s just my take. If you like listening to her, good deal and go Bills. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dragoon said:


if you’re her, I meant no offense. If you’re not her you know a lot about her. 


yeah, you say she’s “awful” and everything wrong with women in sports and basically say she only got the job because of her gender and because she’s cute......but you meant no offense. Makes a lot of sense.

 

she’s infinitely more qualified to talk about sports than you chief.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoPoy88 said:


yeah, you say she’s “awful” and everything wrong with women in sports and basically say she only got the job because of her gender and because she’s cute......but you meant no offense. Makes a lot of sense.

 

she’s infinitely more qualified to talk about sports than you chief.


What are my qualifications? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:


yeah, you say she’s “awful” and everything wrong with women in sports and basically say she only got the job because of her gender and because she’s cute......but you meant no offense. Makes a lot of sense.

 

she’s infinitely more qualified to talk about sports than you chief.

She’s qualified because she has experience and a degree.  
 

She’s not qualified because she sucks at her job.

 

sorry not sorry.  She’s pretty much the worst person for the job imo.  I figured she’d be getting let go this offseason, not promoted 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dragoon said:


As a guy who listens to sports radio I disagree. 
 

Ive heard her segments and they’re about as fun to listen to as the Kars for Kids jingle. 
 

That’s just my take. If you like listening to her, good deal and go Bills. 

 

 


 

This would have been a fine take.  I have no issue if you dislike her or think it will be bad as long as you have a reason viable reason.

 

Your initial take was she is awful and only got the job because she is cute and a female and I am just pointing out that she got the job and is eminently qualified to do the job.  Whether she is good or sucks will be the next major part of her growth.  This is a huge step up from what she has been doing and as I said - her first few go around s were hard to listen to.  She deferred way to much to Tasker and they had no flow.  I thought she got better as she got more experience and I will defer until I can hear here more to say whether there is hope or no hope in a radio host gig.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, NewEra said:

She’s qualified because she has experience and a degree.  
 

She’s not qualified because she sucks at her job.

 

sorry not sorry.  She’s pretty much the worst person for the job imo.  I figured she’d be getting let go this offseason, not promoted 


You can certainly argue there are better candidates for the job than her, nothing wrong with that.

 

That’s much different than saying, “No offense, but she’s an awful, token hire completely devoid of any qualifications and emblematic of all women’s failures in covering men’s sports. Again, no offense.”

 

if you’re going to swoop in and defend something as ignorant as that, go ahead I guess.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:


You can certainly argue there are better candidates for the job than her, nothing wrong with that.

 

That’s much different than saying, “No offense, but she’s an awful, token hire completely devoid of any qualifications and emblematic of all women’s failures in covering men’s sports. Again, no offense.”

 

if you’re going to swoop in and defend something as ignorant as that, go ahead I guess.

Lol.  No. You’re right. My bad. Didn’t see that part, was skimming 

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...