Murphy Out at One Bills Live - Brown and Glab to Replace

The Maddy Glab thing is tough because as someone who is not a fan of hers I don't want it to come across like it has anything to do with being bitter about her looks(I know the previous posts weren't directed to me) and I know she has a college background in sports journalism and is a sports fan I'm not disputing that but in our market all of our sports reporters and analysts have always been locals to the WNY region for the most part(ok so I know Howard grew up in Queens and Jeremy is from Syracuse).  She just seems like such a fish out of water in this market to me.  I know Murph and Tasker aren't the greatest listen in the world but Murphy is the Bills play by play guy and been with the organization for over 35 years.  Hell Tasker played on the Super Bowl teams that are still beloved in Buffalo.  They have their place.  It's just weird to me listening to an Outsider who clearly has no background with Buffalo Bills football.  Has nothing to do with her being a young cute female.  In fact I actually feel really bad feeling the way I do because she also seems like a very nice and sweet girl too.  Just from my perspective regardless of having a degree I don't see her as somebody very qualified for the role.  

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

The Maddy Glab thing is tough because as someone who is not a fan of hers I don't want it to come across like it has anything to do with being bitter about her looks(I know the previous posts weren't directed to me) and I know she has a college background in sports journalism and is a sports fan I'm not disputing that but in our market all of our sports reporters and analysts have always been locals to the WNY region for the most part(ok so I know Howard grew up in Queens and Jeremy is from Syracuse).  She just seems like such a fish out of water in this market to me.  I know Murph and Tasker aren't the greatest listen in the world but Murphy is the Bills play by play guy and been with the organization for over 35 years.  Hell Tasker played on the Super Bowl teams that are still beloved in Buffalo.  They have their place.  It's just weird to me listening to an Outsider who clearly has no background with Buffalo Bills football.  Has nothing to do with her being a young cute female.  In fact I actually feel really bad feeling the way I do because she also seems like a very nice and sweet girl too.  Just from my perspective regardless of having a degree I don't see her as somebody very qualified for the role.  

That is fine nothing wrong with your opinion - everyone has to start out someplace and you are correct she has little local knowledge, but then again we are also covered by guys like Marcel and Rodak before that, Matthew Fairburn, Jerry Sullivan, along with other radio guys in Buffalo and Rochester - they all came from out of the area.  Some lasted a long time and have been fixtures (for good or bad) for 40+ years, while others are new and have fit in well (thanks Marcel).

You can not like her, you can think she is terrible at he job - there are many ways to express yourself - the hard part to me is some people just automatically stating that basically she is everything wrong with women in sports because she was only hired because she was female and cute.  

Her qualifications /degree/previous experience got her in the door - her talent or perhaps lack of talent - we will see - is what will get her either removed or keep her around.  

• Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

That is fine nothing wrong with your opinion - everyone has to start out someplace and you are correct she has little local knowledge, but then again we are also covered by guys like Marcel and Rodak before that, Matthew Fairburn, Jerry Sullivan, along with other radio guys in Buffalo and Rochester - they all came from out of the area.  Some lasted a long time and have been fixtures (for good or bad) for 40+ years, while others are new and have fit in well (thanks Marcel).

You can not like her, you can think she is terrible at he job - there are many ways to express yourself - the hard part to me is some people just automatically stating that basically she is everything wrong with women in sports because she was only hired because she was female and cute.  

Her qualifications /degree/previous experience got her in the door - her talent or perhaps lack of talent - we will see - is what will get her either removed or keep her around.  

For the record I hope she finds success and her career takes off.  She really does seem like a nice person.  I know that Buffalo isn't her dream job either.  Maybe this will get her feet wet and give her the experience she needs to get a job covering Missouri or the Bears 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

This would have been a fine take.  I have no issue if you dislike her or think it will be bad as long as you have a reason viable reason.

Your initial take was she is awful and only got the job because she is cute and a female and I am just pointing out that she got the job and is eminently qualified to do the job.  Whether she is good or sucks will be the next major part of her growth.  This is a huge step up from what she has been doing and as I said - her first few go around s were hard to listen to.  She deferred way to much to Tasker and they had no flow.  I thought she got better as she got more experience and I will defer until I can hear here more to say whether there is hope or no hope in a radio host gig.

So, I’m sorry but there’s a lot of truth to the narrative of people employing cute girls to talk sports. That’s not unfair to suggest that’s a thing. We all know it is. And it’s unfortunate because there are a lot of quality female sports reporters. I love Mary Kay Cabot. She’s one of the best beat reporters in the business. 

As far as the person at hand, look — every segment I’ve heard from her is gimmicky and not the substance I want on a sports show. If she can talk ball like Mary Kay Cabot, cool. But from what I’ve heard of her it’s made me change stations. 

Also, my comment was made more in displeasure of seeing Murph out. I never thought it would morph into this. I apologize if I’ve given offense. Go Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

So, I’m sorry but there’s a lot of truth to the narrative of people employing cute girls to talk sports. That’s not unfair to suggest that’s a thing. We all know it is. And it’s unfortunate because there are a lot of quality female sports reporters. I love Mary Kay Cabot. She’s one of the best beat reporters in the business. 

As far as the person at hand, look — every segment I’ve heard from her is gimmicky and not the substance I want on a sports show. If she can talk ball like Mary Kay Cabot, cool. But from what I’ve heard of her it’s made me change stations. 

Also, my comment was made more in displeasure of seeing Murph out. I never thought it would morph into this. I apologize if I’ve given offense. Go Bills. 

Mary Kay Cabot is an excellent person for her to aspire to - if that is what she wants, but just be aware there is a pretty big segment of the audience around Cleveland that think Mary Kay Cabot is terrible at her job also.  She is a reporter with a ton of sources (fewer with the new Cleveland regime), but her job is to get the details and break news reports from around Cleveland and the NFL.

Maddy Glab was hired to do Buffalo Bills/Sabres media content.  Her job is to put together puff pieces on the players and post them on Instagram and Facebook live.  Chris Brown is the primary mouthpiece for the Bills and Maddy’s job is to provide fun and insightful facts and stories surrounding the two teams (Bills and Sabres). 

From what I have heard - Maddy knows football and understands the game just fine - her pieces on the pregame show make sense, but she is not in the same line of work as Mary Kay is.  It took Mary Kay - 20+ years to develop into the reporter she is.  There is zero similarities between Maddy and Mary Kay at this time.  At the present time with her current job title - I would expect most of what you get from Maddy to be gimmicky that is her role.  

Just my $0.02.

• Like (+1) 3

On 5/21/2020 at 3:41 PM, Bad Things said:

I know that he has his distractors on this board, but I always like John Murphy and am very sad to see him go.

The last season or two with Tasker has been brutal though. 

Chris Brown?  No thanks.

Although he can provide good info, I find that he projects this "know it all" attitude that is hard for me to swallow. 

Brown knows he stuff, but he also likes to prove people wrong and can be a hard listen at times. He does think his ***** don't stink when it comes to Bills knowledge. I'd rather listen to Sal anytime.

Edited by Bubba Gump
  • Like (+1) 2

Murphy wasn’t great but Glab is terrible. It’s like listening to a teenager pretend to know she knows sports. While I could tolerate Murph and Tasker, their replacements are unacceptable and I guess I’ll be going back to Jim Rome. I’m a truck driver and this is gonna suck balls. 

• Like (+1) 2

There seemed a time when sports news was five minutes on the television and radio broadcasts, and a vast majority of these broadcasters had prewritten copy, and good voices.  Now we have a saturation of media sources, endless hours of programming (hours to fill when 5 minutes would cover the story adequately), well educated hosts who haven't always a polished voice or delivery, and often an interactive fan base that skews discussions off topic.  'One Bills Live' not to your liking?  Try listening to that two hours of 'Da Insdigadors' beforehand.  Oy!  'One Bills Live' works well when a segment is interesting with a guest; when it relies on callers or staff chatting it is mostly a train wreck.  'Too much of a good thing' is not necessarily better.  John Murphy's 'One on One Sports' on WBEN years ago was generally interesting, it covered a variety of topics.  Twenty years later, three hours of very directed subject matter that toes the company line is not nearly as enlightening.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It would be reasonable to ask if there is a male of the same age and lack of NFL media experience, in their first year in the building, who has been handed and NFL franchise's flagship radio show co-host spot.

In the NFL as a whole, women (with few notable exceptions) are relegated to "sideline reporting", where they ask cliched questions to guys running off the field who give predictable answers that we learn nothing from.  The game treats them like hostesses.  But they can say to all:  "we have plenty of female journalists!"

It's a cynical inclusion effort by the league/networks.  It's shameless window dressing.  The Pegulas are doing the same with Glab at this point.  It doesn't make sense in a business sense or a personal sense to put this person in this spot, as neither she, nor the show needs the abuse both will receive for this bizarre choice.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I listened for 3 weeks straight when corona fake virus started.   Murph was rediculous...constantly repeating live from home   not the kaleida health center or whatever the sponsor was...hed say that ad naseum..like anyone cared.  Hed start the show talking about what he saw on netflix for an hour then make distracting noises while the guests talked...constantly...clueless about zoom or skype or whatever they used. Everyday it continued...his distracting noises....then he had big time guests like Bean after the draft and didnt ask a single good question...like ie "who would you have picked had you still had 22 or were you trying to trade up for ______? "  Just dumb wasteful questions. Tasker at least has first hand championship experience and stories....hes actually smart but people rip him. I think murph was the idiot. Maybe he was smart once and just got old. Oh and he doesnt want instant replay anymore.  Why? Im glad hes gone i couldnt stand his ultra  casual approach to the "show" anymore.

I know I won't be tuning in. Can't Brown's voice for one and two I can't stand sports talk that's all sunshine and roses. Just like a lot of Bills fans, they never criticize the Bills. They can do no wrong. 

On 5/24/2020 at 11:41 AM, Mr. WEO said:

It would be reasonable to ask if there is a male of the same age and lack of NFL media experience, in their first year in the building, who has been handed and NFL franchise's flagship radio show co-host spot.

In the NFL as a whole, women (with few notable exceptions) are relegated to "sideline reporting", where they ask cliched questions to guys running off the field who give predictable answers that we learn nothing from.  The game treats them like hostesses.  But they can say to all:  "we have plenty of female journalists!"

It's a cynical inclusion effort by the league/networks.  It's shameless window dressing.  The Pegulas are doing the same with Glab at this point.  It doesn't make sense in a business sense or a personal sense to put this person in this spot, as neither she, nor the show needs the abuse both will receive for this bizarre choice.  

Being that football, to include the Bills already have as much of the male demographic as their ever going to get, this “bizarre” choice is not even remotely bizarre.

The only direction left for demographic/money gain is with women, and guys like Murphy aren’t a draw, women want to see women in these positions.  PSE made a correct hire for what they are trying to gain, most men are oblivious to what women want, and this threads responses by and large show as much.

MG is frankly perfect for their intentions to get more young ish women into the sport, thusly spending their dollars on the Bills, it really is that simple. 

Go Bills!!!

On 5/23/2020 at 8:14 PM, BillsPride12 said:

Chris Brown is not a buffalonian either