Backyard Birding

SoTier

Bald Eagle nest on top of a cell tower next to my job in Delaware.  Pretty neat to see there.  There are many at the Conowingo Dam not far away in Maryland but I haven't seen one in that part of DE before.  I'll try to get a picture tomorrow but it's wayyyyyy up there.

My backyard is much more pedestrian. Catbirds, robins, finches, bluebirds, cardinals, blue jays, red winged blackbirds, the occasional oriole, Northern Flickers, Red-Bellied woodpeckers, Geese, ducks, blue herons, the occasional egret, the occasional Cooper's Hawk that will eat one of the aforementioned.  Next time I see something I'll try to remember to put down my beer and take a picture.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I sent that to my wife.  In the throws of it @ the ripe young age of 54... 😆

I sat and watched the baby nuthatches fly from their birdhouse last weekend.  Took them forever!  Took a video of one and sent it to a few people.

I love nature.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

A few years ago, we had the pleasure of watching a pair of orioles build their nest in an elm tree about 10 feet from our deck.

Not sure where you're at... But if up North, like here, you're in their migration pattern.  Obviously if they are building nests, they are staying for summer! LoL... Put sliced oranges out, they will comeback like clockwork.  Here it's every early May.  I have a few pics up thread... 

32 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Not sure where you're at... But if up North, like here, you're in their migration pattern.  Obviously if they are building nests, they are staying for summer! LoL... Put sliced oranges out, they will comeback like clockwork.  Here it's every early May.  I have a few pics up thread... 

We're in north-central IL - about 10 miles south of the Cheddar Curtain and 70 miles northwest of The Loop.

We feed the orioles grape jelly (cheaper than oranges) and they stay all summer. If we forget to put the jelly out before they arrive in May, they'll land on the spot where we normally keep the feeder and look into our window.

We've seen Northern Orioles every year we've lived in this house (11 years and counting). About three years ago, we began to see Orchard Orioles as well. Now they come back every year too.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

We're in north-central IL - about 10 miles south of the Cheddar Curtain and 70 miles northwest of The Loop.

We feed the orioles grape jelly (cheaper than oranges) and they stay all summer. If we forget to put the jelly out before they arrive in May, they'll land on the spot where we normally keep the feeder and look into our window.

We've seen Northern Orioles every year we've lived in this house (11 years and counting). About three years ago, we began to see Orchard Orioles as well. Now they come back every year too.

Nice I am 5 miles in from the Indiana Line dead South of the Lake... in Will County.  They stop here like clockwork every May 5-10th or so,  spend a few weeks and head on N, NW!   😆,  They are going up to the "Cheddar Curtain" to nest! 

😃

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I'm in Queensbury.  About an hour north of Albany.  I did the orange thing last year and no one touched them.

5 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

i shot 3 turkeys the other day

And a pig.  Wrong thread, cabbage farmer!

• Haha (+1) 1

Two ducks showed up a week or two ago. They liked the swampy mess of my pool cover. Best part was watching them climb on top of the pillow like it was their private island. After spending two full days as our guests they'd over stayed their welcome and it was time to drain the swamp. Good times.

ducks.jpg

About 12 years ago, when our 1 acre lot was still close to fields, we had a pair of mallards nesting in our backyard. We just had removed a wooden playground structure, but the concrete foundations were still there. Thus, we could not mow this part and the mallards chose this as nesting site. From time to time we took a peek, and there were six eggs and later six chicks. One day, the mallard hen just walked away with the chicks in tow, through a hole under the backyard fence. Fortunately, it was a Saturday, and even more fortunately, I was just looking at the backyard when it happened - the exodus took less than two minutes.

Another episode from about the same time. We had a trampoline in the backyard for the kids. One day one of the kids left a plastic owl lying on the trampoline (the kind of plastic owl you use to deter small birds from your patio or your herb garden). Well, a young Swainson's hawk must have thought that a dead owl makes a nice meal, and it landed on the trampoline. Well, the fact that the owl was not made of flesh and blood must have been a disappointment. But the real problem came when it wanted to fly away. Raptors are not helicopters or VTOL airplanes and need some space to take off. However, the trampoline had a safety net which did not give sufficient space. Fortunately for the hawk, my son and I had seen the whole dilemma. We dismantled a part of the safety net, always aware to stay away from hawk, until it finally could lift off.  

• Like (+1) 3

On 5/12/2020 at 3:44 PM, Gugny said:

I would love to do more feeders but the squirrels make me want to pull my hair out.

I don't like how all the seed spills as it twirls. 

We have a double baffle shaped from a cone of aluminum flashing and a round piece with flanges cut around the edge.  The cone is loose and pushes up into the round piece.  It works.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/12/2020 at 4:44 PM,   @Gugny said:

I would love to do more feeders but the squirrels make me want to pull my hair out.

My wife bought air pellet gun and tried shooting squirrels but just ignore it.  Fur is too thick.

I'd like her to get training and then either get a air rifle or shotgun and shoot ice pellets at them.

My vision is too poor to shoot.

It is legal to shoot them in Virginia.

§ 29.1-516. Game animals.

Rabbits and squirrels. -- It is unlawful to kill rabbits or squirrels during the closed season; however, the following persons may kill rabbits or squirrels for their own use during the closed season:

1. A landowner and members of his immediate family;

2. Resident members of hunt clubs who own the land in fee, either jointly or through a holding company;

3. Tenants residing on the premises, with the written permission of the landowner.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.