Backyard Birding

SoTier

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

This year we have been putting suet out during year. It started in winter and I got some new birds so I continued feeding in spring.  The small woodpeckers have returned and we now have some "black" birds with a shiny blue tinge and yellow beaks I have not seen before.  They can feed from suet cage when suet is full but have issue feeding when cake is reduced in size.

As to the new "black" birds, I do not know where in the US you are located and how familiar you are with bird species in your region, so please do not be offended if I suggest a European Starling. Usually, they look more black than in this pic.

image.png.5eb270d2f2f2c525bbbc446962926c3c.png

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, DrW said:

As to the new "black" birds, I do not know where in the US you are located and how familiar you are with bird species in your region, so please do not be offended if I suggest a European Starling. Usually, they look more black than in this pic.

My number 1 nemesis... the Starlings come in a group and empty every feeder out in 30 minutes or less. 

8 hours ago, DrW said:

I am in Alexandria, VA.

The most number of these birds I have seen is 4 and it looks more like a Common Grackle except yellow beak.

We have also seen crows when my wife throws out bread in the morning.

11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I am in Alexandria, VA.

The most number of these birds I have seen is 4 and it looks more like a Common Grackle except yellow beak.

We have also seen crows when my wife throws out bread in the morning.

Now I am really going out on a limb here. Did it look like a black American robin with a yellow beak?

image.png.a1b7f60e1b0e6392a8e84f92c1423274.png

This is a common (or Eurasian) blackbird, a thrush like the American robin. Occasionally, stragglers have been found in the NE US, but they were usually single individuals, not four at a time.

Edited by DrW

1 minute ago, DrW said:

Now I am really going out on a limb here. Did it look like a black American robin with a yellow beak?

image.png.a1b7f60e1b0e6392a8e84f92c1423274.png

This is a Eurasian blackbird, a thrush like the American robin. Occasionally, stragglers have been found in the NE US, but they were usually single individuals, not four at a time.

That is closest picture to what I saw but more of a blue tint with no spotting. 

There have been up to 4 at a time.

17 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

That is closest picture to what I saw but more of a blue tint with no spotting. 

There have been up to 4 at a time.

There can be difference between individuals. These here look more "blueish" and virtually spotless. Furthermore, the blue in bird feathers is not a pigment. It is an effect caused by light scattering. Thus, especially if the bird is not bright blue, the blue tint often depends on lighting and viewing angle.

image.png.e4c01965be0b3459efb7743011ecc296.png

image.png.91d327585d1f7d63dda6ac0cd3061ad0.png

Edited by DrW

• 4 weeks later...

Since most of Western New York and Pennsylvania are officially in moderate drought, do the birds in your area a favor and put out a bird bath ... and clean bath and change the water frequently.  I have three in my backyard (plus a waterfall with an area where the birds can drink and bathe).   My yard is full of birds all day long, with many ignoring the feeders in favor of drinking and bathing.

• Like (+1) 1

word of caution about bird feeders.  They are the leading cause of bear nuisance reports.  Our 1 inch hollow steel pole mount was bent in half to get the birdseed.  The neighbors dogs had run off a large bear earlier the same night.  Not going to replace it and it's too bad because it attracted many beautiful birds.  We still hear them but see them less often.   The bear still comes looking for more, tipping over the garbage if we don't put it in the garage which we now do religiously.

I am in Northeastern NY (Glens Falls, Saratoga, Lake George region). 

Hardly any hummingbirds this year so far. 

I thought it might be the poor air quality due to the fires in Canada, but that’s cleared up now and still nothing. 

Anyone else? 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I thought it might be the poor air quality due to the fires in Canada, but that’s cleared up now and still nothing. 

Anyone else? 

Not see any hummingbirds this year and my wife's butterfly garden which usually attracts them has had none that I have seen.

On 6/22/2023 at 10:44 PM, Gugny said:

Anyone else? 

we seem to have a normal number.  The whippoorwill is missing this year calling for a  mate.   hope he found one.

Edited by redtail hawk

My wife runs a "Golden Corral for birds" in our backyard. Suet, seed, mealwoms, thistle, sugar water for hummingbirds, oranges for Orioles. We get a wide variety of birds. And they are so used to us we can be on the deck, just a foot or two away, and they don't care.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

My wife runs a "Golden Corral for birds" in our backyard. Suet, seed, mealwoms, thistle, sugar water for hummingbirds, oranges for Orioles. We get a wide variety of birds. And they are so used to us we can be on the deck, just a foot or two away, and they don't care.

My parents do the same in their backyard. A bunch of bird houses, a couple bird baths. Bunch of feeders and flowers. 

They even have a resident chipmunk who visits them on the porch. My dad keeps almonds out there and “Chippy” hops up on his lap and climbs up to his chest to get his almond haul. 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I left peanuts on the deck a few nites ago.  Got awoken by a raccoon.  Scared the crap out of me cuz it was big. Be careful.

2 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

I left peanuts on the deck a few nites ago.  Got awoken by a raccoon.  Scared the crap out of me cuz it was big. Be careful.

Everything comes in at night

We just had a solo Black Bear drop by a few nights ago.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How do you keep unwanted feeders out?  I have issues with squirrels during day and rats at night.  I covered up bird feeder one night and a rat chewed its way in and just continued eating until morning. Fortunately my dog and I noticed movement and I beat it with a stick and it tried to flee so dog kept inside and then it got its leg caught and together we killed it.  Right now we only use suet feeders on a chain but still have issues with squirrel occasionally and the ground feeders who used to eat the leftovers like mourning doves cannot eat now.  The rats we are poisoning in front yard; poison bait is still being eaten at a lower rate so they must have a big nest somewhere.

5 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

I left peanuts in a cage to catch night feeder.  Found a frightened cardinal in it.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

My parents do the same in their backyard. A bunch of bird houses, a couple bird baths. Bunch of feeders and flowers. 

They even have a resident chipmunk who visits them on the porch. My dad keeps almonds out there and “Chippy” hops up on his lap and climbs up to his chest to get his almond haul. 

Chipmunks can be annoying.  One went into our bird feeder and pushed a pile of seed out so it could crawl inside and use it as a feed hole.  The pile of seeds were bigger than the chipmunk.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

How do you keep unwanted feeders out?  I have issues with squirrels during day and rats at night.  I covered up bird feeder one night and a rat chewed its way in and just continued eating until morning. Fortunately my dog and I noticed movement and I beat it with a stick and it tried to flee so dog kept inside and then it got its leg caught and together we killed it.  Right now we only use suet feeders on a chain but still have issues with squirrel occasionally and the ground feeders who used to eat the leftovers like mourning doves cannot eat now.  The rats we are poisoning in front yard; poison bait is still being eaten at a lower rate so they must have a big nest somewhere.

I left peanuts in a cage to catch night feeder.  Found a frightened cardinal in it.

Chipmunks can be annoying.  One went into our bird feeder and pushed a pile of seed out so it could crawl inside and use it as a feed hole.  The pile of seeds were bigger than the chipmunk.

My parents put Vaseline on all of the shepherd hooks to keep chipmunks and squirrels from climbing them. 

The chipmunks will hang around below the feeders and catch what the birds drop, but other than that, they’re harmless.  

5 hours ago, Limeaid said:

We just resign ourselves to some critters eating as well. Besides we have two small dogs that think squirrels and chipmunks are toys to chase. 😂

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

We just resign the fact some critters will eat as well. Besides we have two small dogs that think squirrels and chipmunks are toys to chase. 😂

My wife does not want bird feeders until rats are eliminated.  

We are dog watching so I went with my wife and daughter to help walk guest dog.

Found a rat dead right outside the sidewalk smaller than one I killed in bird feeder which I needed to clean up.  I think it was a Norwegian rat.

I think it is a smaller one since older ones are dying from bait.

When bait is stopped being taken (bait is often not eaten right away but stored in nest) then bird feeder will come out.

Last year I suspected that we might have a pair of curve-billed thrashers nesting in our backyard. Finally, about a month ago I saw them bringing little sticks and other nesting material into the largest tree in the backyard, a live oak, and found the nest.  

• Like (+1) 2

My wife has decided to solve problem with ground feeders by putting bird feeder on ground without a pole and birds have adapted.

The birds are no longer standing in seed trays knocking seed in piles on ground like they used to. 

I assume this means that we will be storing bird feeder in aluminum can we normally keep it and cleaning up seed each night.

On 6/22/2023 at 10:44 PM, Gugny said:

Anyone else? 

I have about the usual number, which isn't a lot since I live in a very urban area.  I usually see only 1 or 2 on any particular day.  They start coming when my hostas start blooming and stay to feast on red bee balm (monarda).    This year at least one has visited my fuschia plant hooked to the awning over the back porch, so I'm going to hang a hummingbird feeder near the other feeders to see what I get.

On 6/24/2023 at 4:57 PM, Limeaid said:

Cardinals like to feed really late when it's almost dark.  They also come very early in the morning.   I think they do this because they're naturally very shy.

On 6/24/2023 at 10:25 PM, redtail hawk said:

what is that?

It looks like a kingfisher, possibly a young one.

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Cardinals like to feed really late when it's almost dark.  They also come very early in the morning.   I think they do this because they're naturally very shy.

Agree. Very non-aggressive. They will have a bunch of sparrows and finches around and will defer to them.

Been trying to figure out a feeder for them for peanuts which a squirrel cannot get to.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2023 at 9:00 PM, Limeaid said:

Agree. Very non-aggressive. They will have a bunch of sparrows and finches around and will defer to them.

Been trying to figure out a feeder for them for peanuts which a squirrel cannot get to.

There are feeders with weighted perches that are squirrel resistant.   I bought a tube feeder like that to discourage pigeons (Squirrel Proof Tube Feeder).  The ports are large enough to feed peanuts in shells.  If the cardinals don't like my new feeder -- they tend to prefer platform type feeders -- I will probably get  one that looks like a building that has long perches:   Birders Choice Feeder

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

There are feeders with weighted perches that are squirrel resistant.   I bought a tube feeder like that to discourage pigeons (Squirrel Proof Tube Feeder).  The ports are large enough to feed peanuts in shells.  If the cardinals don't like my new feeder -- they tend to prefer platform type feeders -- I will probably get  one that looks like a building that has long perches:   Birders Choice Feeder

I have tried that Squirrel Proof Tube Feeder and squirrel landed on top and reached down to get peanuts.  I had another feeder which squirrel was able to open top which had screws you can remove by hand and squirrel figured how so my wife installed some screws only removeable by tool so squirrel chewed on bottom release cover so much that it could not be removed.  I've been tempted to put poisoned food in feeder which squirrel can only get to but they are messy eater and other birds would eat leftover.

13 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I have tried that Squirrel Proof Tube Feeder and squirrel landed on top and reached down to get peanuts.  I had another feeder which squirrel was able to open top which had screws you can remove by hand and squirrel figured how so my wife installed some screws only removeable by tool so squirrel chewed on bottom release cover so much that it could not be removed.  I've been tempted to put poisoned food in feeder which squirrel can only get to but they are messy eater and other birds would eat leftover.

I have had this feeder up for 10 years.  Worth every penny.  Squirrels tried many times in the first couple of months only to realize the futility of trying.  A little pricey but it has been fantastic.  Trust 'ol Irv.  

Droll Yankee Yankee Dipper

Yankee Dipper Video

Pretty Impressive Jumping Skills

Edited by Irv
  • Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Irv said:

I have had this feeder up for 10 years.  Worth every penny.  Squirrels tried many times in the first couple of months only to realize the futility of trying.  A little pricey but it has been fantastic.  Trust 'ol Irv.  

Droll Yankee Yankee Dipper

Yankee Dipper Video

Pretty Impressive Jumping Skills

Did you not see the one review with the picture of the squirrel feeding off the feeder? You must have squirrels with disabilities? 😉 

$99... Huh?

YankeeDripFeeder_SquirrelProof.thumb.jpeg.03d85ab7531779f783b3829ca3077169.jpeg

26 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Did you not see the one review with the picture of the squirrel feeding off the feeder? You must have squirrels with disabilities? 😉 

$99... Huh?

YankeeDripFeeder_SquirrelProof.thumb.jpeg.03d85ab7531779f783b3829ca3077169.jpeg

Is the squirrel really eating in that picture?  Ever watch how they eat?  They grab the food with both claws and eat it.  How can the squirrel eat when both claws are hanging on for dear life?  I've honestly never seen one on my feeder and where I live the little rats are everywhere.  

Edited by Irv
  • Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

My hummer(s?) are back in my garden.   Usually I only see 1 female in the garden at a time, so I'm not sure if I have only one or different girls come at different times.  I don't know how long hummers live, but I've had at least one female feasting on the bee balm by the porch every year for about a decade, so I suspect that there have been numerous girls coming at different times.   Last year, after the young had fledged, I did see several males.   The problem with observing hummers in my yard is that I have flower gardens with bee balm, hostas, salvias, and crocosmia (all hummer faves!) on three sides of my house, so they can be scattered all around.   My lot is long and fairly narrow, so the back gardens that contain the trumpet vine and more hostas are a long way from the house, so seeing tiny birds there is impossible from the back porch.  

I've had no luck attracting hummers to a feeder, which is where many people see multiple hummers.   They apparently prefer real flowers!  I'm trying again with a new feeder and nectar, but no luck so far.   I'm going to put a shepard's hook in a batch of bee balm and see if that attracts some to the feeder.

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

I still have had no luck attracting hummers to my feeders but I definitely have several -- again, apparently all females -- visiting my garden because they've been having aerial "hummer wars" all around my yard.   One of the girls likes to sit on the top rung of my tall tomato cage and chase off all the others.  She's apparently the "boss" hummer.

My new feeder apparently discourages pigeons ... but the smaller birds have been reluctant to try it at all, and the cardinals and blue jays just ignore it even with the old feeder empty.  I even took down the old feeder but still no takers except for some adventurous house sparrows.    So, I filled up both feeders.   I suspect that  some hungry birds will eventually use it, especially as the seed feast in my backyards diminished as we go into fall.

On a side note, as more flowers come into full bloom, especially tall garden phlox, coneflower, and Joe Pye Weed (a type of domesticated milkweed), I've had a bounty of pollinators from bees of all sizes and butterflies (including monarchs visiting the JPW) to several different kinds of hornets and moths. 

1 hour ago, dhg said:

We just discovered a Goldfinch nest in our Rose of Sharon that is right next to our patio. Pretty cool. 

IMG_5131.jpg

Our pair of regular pair morning doves set up in my dog's gazebo (we bought and set up a gazebo for she would not go in dog house to get out of rain when waiting for us to come home and she still would not get out so we bought a dog door) and they were nesting for a while but some storm knocked out area covering front of it so they abandoned it.

I am not a birder, per se, but this morning I saw 3 birds walking right down the sidewalk in front of my home in SE FL.

I believe they were herons or egrets.  Great big long skinny legs; kind of look like dinosaurs walking around, like a mini ostrich.

We have hawks in our area. Last week my wife saw one unsuccessfully swoop in for the the kill in our backyard - probably going for a rabbit. It ended up chilling on our pool deck for awhile and was probably around 15 inches tall standing upright.

Cut to  a half hour ago. My son is hitting wiffle balls in the backyard and I'm enjoying a cocktail with my back to him. He hits one to the back of the yard and when he threw it back to where he hits from a hawk swooped down from over his head and went for the ball! It ended up flying to the top of a very tall tree one house over and this thing was huge! Funny thing is it was no more than 10-15 yards from me when it went for the ball and I was completely oblivious. My son is now hitting wiffle balls with one eye to the sky. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

We have hawks in our area. Last week my wife saw one unsuccessfully swoop in for the the kill in our backyard - probably going for a rabbit. It ended up chilling on our pool deck for awhile and was probably around 15 inches tall standing upright.

Cut to  a half hour ago. My son is hitting wiffle balls in the backyard and I'm enjoying a cocktail with my back to him. He hits one to the back of the yard and when he threw it back to where he hits from a hawk swooped down from over his head and went for the ball! It ended up flying to the top of a very tall tree one house over and this thing was huge! Funny thing is it was no more than 10-15 yards from me when it went for the ball and I was completely oblivious. My son is now hitting wiffle balls with one eye to the sky. 

It might be a very hungry, very desperate young hawk.

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

It might be a very hungry, very desperate young hawk.

No, this one wasn't young - the one last week was definitely younger.

Postscript is that the big one hung around for awhile and at one point a small bird flew pretty close to the big one who was perched up high and didn't appreciate the intrusion. Cool as hell watching the big one chase it off.

On 8/2/2023 at 3:15 PM, Nextmanup said:

I am not a birder, per se, but this morning I saw 3 birds walking right down the sidewalk in front of my home in SE FL.

I believe they were herons or egrets.  Great big long skinny legs; kind of look like dinosaurs walking around, like a mini ostrich.

Sandhill cranes... I had 4 of them in my yard the other day. Didn't even notice them but when I went around my car I turned and they were 8' away.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.