Backyard Birding

SoTier

49 minutes ago, T&C said:

I've been at this same house for 22 years and have never seen even 1, ever. I've never used one of the feeders so I guess that's why. Really though, I don't have many flowering plants at all but for some reason I have a ton of butterflies, at least 8 different types. They are all over the place.

Plant trumpet vine. Easy to grow.   Hardy.  And the hummingbirds flock to it.  This is my mail box.  Started with a sprig  from New York. One bird even buzzed me this year...IMG_0750.thumb.jpg.159da9193b0c62aefdff2d76cb96ddbb.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Plant trumpet vine. Easy to grow.   Hardy.  And the hummingbirds flock to it.  This is my mail box.  Started with a sprig  from New York. One bird even buzzed me this year...IMG_0750.thumb.jpg.159da9193b0c62aefdff2d76cb96ddbb.jpg

Nice pics. I am familiar with that one and it can really get away though. The previous owner of this house (1/2 acre) thought it would be cute to plant morning glory along a fence line. To this day I am fighting to keep it at bay... it seems to pop up in weird places just when I think I have done it in.

22 minutes ago, T&C said:

Nice pics. I am familiar with that one and it can really get away though. The previous owner of this house (1/2 acre) thought it would be cute to plant morning glory along a fence line. To this day I am fighting to keep it at bay... it seems to pop up in weird places just when I think I have done it in.

Honeysuckle is another one, but it also can take off. I have that and the trumpet creeper too. I also like to use 50% sugar in my feeding water. 

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

6 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Honeysuckle is another one, but it also can take off. I have that and the trumpet creeper too. I also like to use 50% sugar in my feeding water. 

It sure can too. I'm going to hold off on the hummingbird thing until after hurricane season has ended. 

Someone around here, and I haven't found out who because of how my area is laid out, has midnight jasmine. In the late fall/early winter it is thick with scent at night with the windows open... very nice. I'm sure the hummingbirds must love it if there are even any around here.

12 hours ago, T&C said:

Yeah.   After it blooms... We gotta hack the crap out of it.  I hope it is not  pissing the  mail lady off...

A few weeks ago,, we were supposed to get a package.   The tracking app  said  "Animal Interference."  My daughter  thinks  it was a bee. I asked the mail lady, she didn't  know  about  it and  claims  it could  have  been  somewhere  else.  The package  was in mailbox  the  next day.   LoL...

Oh, But... In a way... Trying  to keep  the flowering  plants  at bay  may be keeping  the hummingbirds away effectively!

People complain  about not having  fireflies anymore.  It's  because  people keep  their  yards TOO neat, well lit.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

13 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I bet the mail person loves you.   dealing with bee's while dropping off your mail.  

On 7/8/2020 at 11:27 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah.   After it blooms... We gotta hack the crap out of it.  I hope it is not  pissing the  mail lady off...

A few weeks ago,, we were supposed to get a package.   The tracking app  said  "Animal Interference."  My daughter  thinks  it was a bee. I asked the mail lady, she didn't  know  about  it and  claims  it could  have  been  somewhere  else.  The package  was in mailbox  the  next day.   LoL...

Oh, But... In a way... Trying  to keep  the flowering  plants  at bay  may be keeping  the hummingbirds away effectively!

People complain  about not having  fireflies anymore.  It's  because  people keep  their  yards TOO neat, well lit.

My property is far from "neat"... not really interested right now in attracting the hummingbirds but it is odd that I haven't seen at least one over all these years. I'm still cleaning up after hurricanes in a residual way. Cleaning up after them, many tree's down, other parts didn't get the right attention.

1 hour ago, T&C said:

My property is far from "neat"... not really interested right now in attracting the hummingbirds but it is odd that I haven't seen at least one over all these years. I'm still cleaning up after hurricanes in a residual way. Cleaning up after them, many tree's down, other parts didn't get the right attention.

You're  not in the Everglades area? Seems, only  place  they  aren't  outside  of West/Inter-Mountain West...

ruby_rufous_dist.gif

44 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You're  not in the Everglades area? Seems, only  place  they  aren't  outside  of West/Inter-Mountain West...

ruby_rufous_dist.gif

More central and nope, none. I'm on a secluded sort of a place near the big roads... they built up around here so much in the last 10 years I'm lucky to see one bat in the evening, used to be a bunch of them flying around at dusk. No more.

• Sad 1

On 7/7/2020 at 3:13 PM, Gugny said:

So the juncos left town and I got my hanging flower basket back.  That nest was smack dab in the middle and deep!  So I picked all the dead heads off and got some fresh water in there .. and decided to do the same with the other flower basket.

What do I see?  A mother ***** nest.  AND a little egg.  But it had been abandoned, which is sad.

I've lived in my house for 12 years and have hanging baskets every year.  NEVER have birds nested in them.  I hope this doesn't become a habit.

Well ... it appears the egg wasn't abandoned, after all.  Those ***** terrorist birds are back and I can't use my front porch.

We have several oriole families bringing their young ones to the feeder now. It's cool to watch the youngsters wait in the nearby tree while their mom or dad gets jelly from the feeder and brings it to them. Gradually, the little ones start coming to the feeder but still waiting for the parent to feed them. Eventually the parents bring the young to the feeder and then leave, and the chicks learn to feed themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 7:31 PM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

77A110DB-B008-4487-89C0-53B24CB1E56D.jpeg

Sorry it’s sideways 

You know who I am  blaming... ?

When has this:  "sorry it's  sideways" ever become  acceptable!?! I am still trying to figure  out the plumbing pix...

Don't  the magic fairies in an iPhone  automatically  correct it for the lazy at heart. 

I don't gawt time for this!

? ? 

10 hours ago, T&C said:

It looks like you took one of the ports out... what kind of bird is that?

that would be one of 3 humming birds I get yearly.  

This particular one seems lazy and sits to drink and not hover 

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You know who I am  blaming... ?

When has this:  "sorry it's  sideways" ever become  acceptable!?! I am still trying to figure  out the plumbing pix...

Don't  the magic fairies in an iPhone  automatically  correct it for the lazy at heart. 

I don't gawt time for this!

? ? 

I tried to make it NOT in sideways ....  P~~~

Last year v

A87869BC-F61C-40A3-AD27-35166177A310.jpeg

I have to downsize the images to get them to load so the quality is poorly 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.